new cube ltd

pe1ter
pe1ter Posts: 169
edited March 2013 in MTB general
ive just ordered my cube ltd from pauls cycles im a bit worried now as ive ordered the 20"frame as i always buy a large im just under 6ft will it be to big i couldnt try it as it was a online purchase anyone got one

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Most likely it'll be too big unless it's an unusual size. Most 20 inch (L) frames are for people above 6 foot 2/3 inches. Not all but most.
  • pe1ter
    just noticed there open tommoz gonna ring them would you suggest i get an 18" thats the next size down or do u reckon that would be to small
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I'm not claiming to know which size will fit you, i'm just saying 20 inch frames tend to be for taller people than you. Ideally i would have test rode one first.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    pe1ter wrote:
    just noticed there open tommoz gonna ring them would you suggest i get an 18" thats the next size down or do u reckon that would be to small
    from a similar post
    tezboy1234 wrote:
    I'm also 5"8 with a 30" leg. I also have a Cube LTD. I have the medium (18") and it's perfect. It would easily fit people a bit bigger or smaller, so there's no need to be weary, i guarantee the 18" will be spot on for you. Don't forget about the usual adjustments you can make, the seatpost goes up and down and the saddle goes backwards and forwards and can also be tilted. If you need any more adjustments, and i feel confidant you won't, you can just change your stem or even bar, but you won't need to. Cube LTD, 18" is the one for you, you won't be disappointed.
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • pe1ter
    sorry forgot to mention ive got 32" inseam
  • Oh Marone
    Oh Marone Posts: 261
    I am 6ft with a 34"-35" ish inside leg and ride a 20" Radon team which has almost the exact same dimensions as the Cube (I read that the Radon frames are made by Cube) if that is any help to you. The top tube is quite high if you stand on the floor so could be a potential comfort issue, I think reach to the bars is more important nowadays rather than standover height.

I find the reach to the bars to be comfortable and not to stretched out, better than a large Boardman I sat on in Halfords which seemed a bit to stretched out for my liking. Hard to say which size would be best as I think both would fit, just depends what you prefer.

I wasn't sure if I should get an 18" or a 20" and could not test the bike as I was ordering from Germany, I did sit on a few bikes in halfords to get an idea though and compared the dimensions of the frames. I was swaying towards the 18" at first but rang the shop to ask for their advice before ordering and was told 100% to get the 20" as they said the 18" would be to small, especially reach to the bars. The guy on the phone was 6ft with a 34" inside leg and rode the 20" Radon which was handy.
  • pe1ter wrote:

You might well be fine with the 20" (hopefully as the 18" is now out of stock). I am 5'9 and 32 leg and if you rode both you would likely find that both were ok and it would just be preference. They do say it is better to get the smaller one if you arent sure as you can easily make adjustments. Dunno if it matters but following the advice to measure for correctness on Cubes website an 18" would be the one to get ideally.

I dunno if the frames of their bikes vary, ie I have rode an 18" cube attention, guessing it would be identical to the ltd for size.
  • tezboy1234
    tezboy1234 Posts: 132
    i'm 5"8 with a 30" leg. I also have a Cube LTD. It's perfect for me and it could easily accommodate people a bit bigger or smaller. Ideally i'd say go with the 18" but then again your a bit bigger than me so you should be just fine on a 20". My mate has a 20" bike and i'm perfectly ok on that, as he is just fine on mine with a slight raise of the post. Personaly i think you'll have no problems. If you do have any they''ll be only fractional, and will be easily sorted with adjustments to the saddle. If it still ain't perfect, try changing the stem for either a longer or shorter one as required. Don't think you'll have to though. If your still weary, get to bike shop asap to try out, before its too late to change your order. Actually, if you feel the 18" is the one for you, then when your order arrives, don't open it and send it straight back, then just re-order the 18"
  • pe1ter
    cheers for that my old gt was a 20" and that was fine how tall is your mate with the 20"
  • tezboy1234
    He's about 6ft, with a 20" bike. I'm 5ft 8", with a 18" bike. If i'm not mistaken, the norm for measuring a bike is by height, from the centre of the cranks to the top of the seat tube, so you should only need to adjust the seatpost and saddle to get a good fit. The difference in size is only 2" and you get that amount of adjustment on the saddle alone, i really don't think you'll have any problems with either size. I would still recommend you get to the shop though and try both out just for peace of mind if anything. If your equally happy with both, i'd say go with the smallest you can, in your case the 18". Less frame material needed so it'll be a touch lighter and with it being a smaller scale i suppose there's a chance it could be a fraction stronger. (thats just a suspicion though, not claiming it a fact)
  • pe1ter
    thanks tezboy ive just come back from cycle surgery they only had a 19inc cube reaction 29er in stock sat on that and it felt ok not much standover but didnt feel to big also sat on 19.5" trek 6300 that he was trying to flog me that felt ok aswell guy in shop said i had longer body than legs and i would need a 19 or 20 frame or was he just saying that so i would buy the trek :lol::lol: anyway mind a bit more at ease now ive sat on a few also thanks to everyone who has replied to my posts
  • tezboy1234
    It's wrong of me to say if he's trying to persuade you to buy the Trek, i never saw what went on so only you can really judge it. Maybe he was genuine, maybe not. Depends on what Trek also.

I would say that there's a pretty good chance your suspicions are correct though, and the reason being is quite logical when you think about it. A lot more people are getting wise to the fact there's much better bang for buck deals going on than with the usual big name brands, Trek and Giant for example. When you compare them with other brands, like Rockrider from Decathlon, Boardman from Halfords and pretty much any German brand, especially Canyon, Cube and Radon, then there's no comparison really. You'll get far more for 1k on a German brand than you will with Trek and Giant.

Maybe far mor people have picked up on this than expected, as a result, far fewer big name brand bikes being sold, therefore shops are left with bikes they can't shift. The soloution, use the gift of the gab to push them out. Just a theory.

By the way, you'll get even better value if you can find last years models, wich i prefer when it comes to Cube at least. Check out, Pauls cycles, Winstanleys and Bike Discount. I got mine from Bike Discount, earlier models tend to go real cheap, so you could end up withe Cube Reaction for pretty much the same price as the Cube LTD. Look around, don't rush and miss out.
  • AD1
    AD1 Posts: 53
    pe1ter wrote:
    ive just ordered my cube ltd from pauls cycles im a bit worried now as ive ordered the 20"frame as i always buy a large im just under 6ft will it be to big i couldnt try it as it was a online purchase anyone got one

No it won't be to to big. I've a 20" Cube acid and I'm just under 6ft. I've done abot 2000Km of trail riding over the last 15months and it is very comfortable.