My 2009 Kona Caldera

doublem_1
doublem_1 Posts: 266
edited March 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Here is my 2009 Caldera that I built up from the frame. My first ever build so please be friendly :) . Comments and criticisms welcome.

IMG_20130310_122016.jpg

Spec:
2009 Kona Caldera
2011 Rock Shox Recon Silver TK Coil forks
FSA Orbit XLII Headset
Truativ XT stem
FSA bars
Deda RS01 seatpost
Speciaized BG saddle
FSA triple Gamma Crankset
Shimano Deore mech
Shimano Deore rear mech
Shimano Deore 9spd cassette
SRAM PC971 chain
Shimano Deore shifters
Avid Juicy 7 brakes
203mm front and 185mm rear
Budget rims with Quando or whatever they are hubs
Continental Vertical 2.3 tyres
Token lock on grips
DRM V8 pedals

One thing I intend on upgrading in the future is the budget rims and hibs I have. Although hey don't seem too bad for the moment.

Comments

• Great bike. Had a 09 Caldera last year. Love the way it rode.

If it was mine I'd get the front end lower. Slam the stem, move the spacers to above the stem.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • doublem_1
    Funny you should say that actually. I was thinking today that I kind of regret getting a 90mm stem. Might purchase a much smaller stem and try out the spacers on top or simply trim the top of it off.
  • My Caldera was run with 120mm Recon air forks. A 60mm stem and 740mm bars and massive (for the frame) 2.25 Ardent tyres.

Was still nimble for XC but fun for jumping and did some Welsh downhill on it. Took a beating, components/wheels broke but the frame never missed a beat.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Certainly look at lowering the bars, I'd also suggest the extra progression on 180/160 discs may be preferable to the extra heat capacity of what you have there, otherwise a nice balanced build with scopt to improve as you go along....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • doublem_1
    I really don't like the look of having spacers on top the stem so will probably trim the top of the steerer tube to fit.
  • DanG87
    DanG87 Posts: 105
    nice, just reminded me to post mine up, my 9omm stem is a little too long too.
  • doublem_1
    Went for a trail ride last week wish didn't last long, I had the wrong BB for the crank. So I ordered the correct one and fitted it pronto, then I got all the gears indexed properly and went for second attempt today. Absolutely loved it and the bike ran brilliantly.

My only gripe is that the rear brake is a bit noisy and vibrates the bike under medium pressure braking. I think this is due to the disc being slightly warped. Hoping a new disc will fix this.

A few pics of how the bike came home:

IMG_20130319_1652491.jpg

IMG_20130319_1653261.jpg
  • I have the same bike & love it. It's got 1.8 mud tyres at moment. Changed the stem to an 80mm raceface atlas am & have some new wide blackspire bars coming. Looks better when muddy though!!!! Good job.
  • doublem_1
    I have bought a Mucky Nutz bender fender to stop mud and such flicking face-wards! Also bought a 50mm stem and some over-sized wider bars to fit. Should look much better hopefully.
    I have the same bike & love it. It's got 1.8 mud tyres at moment. Changed the stem to an 80mm raceface atlas am & have some new wide blackspire bars coming. Looks better when muddy though!!!! Good job.

I agree!!