Continental 4000s vs GP4 vs Ultra GatorSkin

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
I had asked before about these tyre and was going to buy a set but didn't, not sure why but just decided to buy a set now for my new wheels and again am confused which are best.
I will be getting the 25mm for comfort and would prefer the best in terms of speed and puncture resistance.
Living MY dream.

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    One is a sticky, racier tyre (ish) and the other is a harder and more durable winter type of training tyre.

One will last longer, the other will ride better.

For the weather coming up go for for the better feel of the 4000s. Keep the gatorskin for training rides on crap roads in poor weather. The felt deserves the 4000s.

The e.g. is that people use gatorskins on winter bikes and commuters. Posh summer carbon should have sticky race tyres!
  • Scrumple
    oh, just noticed the GPP4S bit tucked in the middle - they are a much more racy winter tyre that can be run all year.

I run GP4s on my winter bike, and prefer it to the heavier feel of the more durable gatorskins. The trade off is that they cost more and don't last as long.

Tyres are a sliding scale between bombproof and reliable (yet wooden and heavy to ride) and super light, sticky and slick (cut up and more likely to p*n%u&e)

I'd buy GP4s for now, and 4000s for summer. Gatorskins if you commute and need to trade the feel for best reliabilty.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/road.shtml
  • My 4000s rear cut up badly during the early part of winter. Since then I have had a 4 seasons on the rear which has been fine. I have been forever digging shards of glass and stone out of the 4000s (front).

As already said above I would go 4000s for summer and 4 seasons for winter. Maybe Gator if you winter commute.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Scrumple
    The website suggests the 4 seasons are a derivative of the 4000s with some more protection lobbed in (i.e. weight).

The gators are just your winter boots.
  • VTech
    Ive just ordered the 4000s package with inner tubes. should arrive next week, cheers guys.
    Living MY dream.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    GP4000s year round, no problems at all, until tomorrow!
  • Flasher wrote:
    GP4000s year round, no problems at all, until tomorrow!

:mrgreen:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Good choice, I didn't like the gators in the wet.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    now if you had tubeless rims.... :wink:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • adamaitken
    adamaitken Posts: 1
    I blew out the sidewall of a brand new Conti 4000s today

I recently received the Wiggle package of two Conti 4000s and five tubes.
    I fitted one with the correct size inner tube, and checked it was sitting on the rim evenly and that there was no inner tube protruding. In fact I inflated and deflated it and the re-inflated to make sure.
    The rim is a Mavic 700c and I have been using continental tires and others on this wheel for the last ten years and never had a problem.

I am 72 kgs so I doubt my weight is a problem.

I inflated it to the recommended pressure.
    I went for a ride and five minutes into my ride the side wall blew out and tore a 5-6 cm rip between the tire bead and the sidewall.

I have the other tire unopened and would like to return that also as I have no confidence in this particular batch of tire.

I believe that there may be a defect in part of the sidewall of this tire and perhaps in the other one but I would rather not open the packaging. :evil:
  • VTech
    This must be a defect as there is no way your weight or tyre pressure should take a side wall.
    I've been running mine for a whole now and love them.
    Living MY dream.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    adamaitken wrote:

I fitted one with the correct size inner tube, and checked it was sitting on the rim evenly and that there was no inner tube protruding. In fact I inflated and deflated it and the re-inflated to make sure.
    The rim is a Mavic 700c and I have been using continental tires and others on this wheel for the last ten years and never had a problem.

I went for a ride and five minutes into my ride the side wall blew out and tore a 5-6 cm rip between the tire bead and the sidewall.

I have the other tire unopened and would like to return that also as I have no confidence in this particular batch of tire.

I believe that there may be a defect in part of the sidewall of this tire and perhaps in the other one but I would rather not open the packaging. :evil:

Hand made in Germany by Grannies?

Sounds like a fault in either the tyre or your pump pressure gauge (less likely)!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    adamaitken wrote:

There was a bad batch of the 4000S. It's quite well documented on the WW forum. I have a set with 2.5k miles that are still going strong with no issues, so there are good ones out there. TBH I prefer the Pro4 from a grip standpoint as I've found longevity to and puncture resistance to be the same on both.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Great... I too have just got one of the 4000s from wiggle - could this be from the same batch? Is there any way to tell if you have one from this batch?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Not that I'm aware of. I got mine from Wiggle and they were fine (it's not like the batch OEM'd Pro3's that Ribble was selling off). From what I've gathered it's a very small sample size and over 99% will be fine. Conti/Wiggle are both good with warranty so if it happens at least you'll be taken care of.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've been using the GP 4000S on my Rourke and love them, but this is a fair weather bike. I've got Gatorskins on the Condor (winter bike) but I find them too slippery in the wet, so have a set of GP4S in 25C ready to put on that. I think the GP4S should be a bit more efficient than the Gatorskins too.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    About to switch from my 28mm Vittoria Zaffiros that came on the bike to a 25mm GP4000S front/28mm GP4seasons rear.

If the 4 seasons came with the black chili compound, I would probably have them on both ends, or if the 4000s came in 28mm I would possibly have that on both ends in the summer. So trying this as a compromise between the two.

I have alot of laps of 3 local loops that I do, all tracked on Garmin, so will be interesting to see if there is any improvement in performance/effort - if there is, I will know straight away and precisely how much.