Alps advice!

NickH45
NickH45 Posts: 21
edited April 2013 in Holidays
Hi everyone,

Just after some advice about potential riding destinations in the alps this summer.

Not really after the 'typical' alpine big downhill routes with chairlifts etc. Having tried searching online most places just want to sell you lift passes to scary looking black runs.

Would prefer more of an xc style riding and the ability to plan our own long, enduro type routes. Adventuring high up on the mountains even if its on fire roads would be good.

Any advice on places/valleys worth exploring would be gratefully received.

Nick

Comments

• kathg
    kathg Posts: 142
    Nick, there are absolutely miles and miles of xc runs which are accessed by the lift systems in the Alps.. don't think for a second that it's all black run, DH full face helmet gnarl coz its not! Use the lifts to get the height and then traverse from valley to valley. A brilliant place for this sort of riding is the Alpi Bike resorts in Italy (Sauze D'oulx, Sestriere, Bardoneccia etc). Stunning riding, quiet, no braking bumps and wonderful Italian coffee.. check out the website..
    As soon as you go off the beaten track anywhere in the Alps you'll have peace and quiet and an infinite amount of xc riding. Make sure you can read a map though and check that the bus/lift system will get you back to your base resort/village.
    Have fun :D

Kathg
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Doesn't this month's MBUK have an Alpine-themed pull-out special? Might want to have a look at that... :roll:
  • NickH45
    NickH45 Posts: 21
    Hi thanks for the tips I'll have a look at mbuk and some of those Italian towns.

Thanks again
    Nick
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    Also try la thuile in the alps, in Italy just the other side of the French border past cormeiuer. Excellent enduro type trails which are lift assosted and never more than a few people around.
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    visit Les Arcs with Trailaddiction

Miles and miles of singletrack. I've been there three times already. Heading back again this year to 'Destination X'
    FCN = 4
  • Remedy
    Remedy Posts: 1
    Megeve is a good option. There are a lot of marked XC routes serviced by lifts. The lift passes are really cheap too. In 2012 a 7 day pass was 47 euros. There are some downhill runs here too if you fancy giving them a go but this is by no means a hardcore downhill center like Morzine. There are also a lot of unmarked trails to discover.

You can also easily get over to La Clusaz for more trails and it's not too far to Chamonix either.

You can download a 2012 route map from:-
    http://www.combloux.com/images/stories/ ... -vtt-2.pdf

The Map shows the TS Torraz lift being closed. This is because it was being replaced in 2012 but it is open again for 2013.

I'm over for two weeks from the end of July staying in La Giettaz so I am counting down the days :D

Dave