Bordeaux to Barcelona in 5 days

richardjs
richardjs Posts: 11
edited March 2013 in Tour & expedition
A friend and myself have booked an Easyjet flight to Bordeaux and a return easyjet flight from Barcelona at the beginning of June. We have 5 full cycling days and now just have to plan the best route. Google maps indicate approx 350 miles, so 70 miles a day on average although I suspect this could vary a lot depending on the route chosen and availability of accommodation. Crossing the Pyrenees will be the highlight so we want to pick the best route accross. We will be travelling on road bikes with panniers (assuming they survive the flight!!) but looking to stay in cheap B&Bs or hostels. Any help with planning the route would be very much appreciated and any thoughts on stuff to pack.

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I did the Biketours route many years ago, crossing from Bagneres de Luschon to Vileha/Salardu/Sort . I think it was the Col de Peyresourde.
    There are more cols than you can shake a stick at but this is one of the more direct ones from France to Spain.
    Pack a corkscrew and a cheese knife.
  • Many thanks for this suggestion. It certainly looks like whichever route you choose there will be more than one col to climb. I am guessing that first week in June should be fine in terms of passes being open?? Were you heading towards Barcelona when you did the Biketours route?
  • Last year mate and I did Barcelona up around Andorra and across to Santander.
    The cols are fantastic. Our rout from Barcelona to the Pyrenees was via the c-59 to mola then c-25 and c-17 up across to ripoll. From ripoll the n152 takes you to French border via the collada de tosses. Bourge madam is the crossing point I think. Then down to ax les thermes.
    Spanish side was much harder to navigate. I would suggest google street viewing your road choices as we ended up sat at the slip ways of a few motorways scratching our heads!
    Good luck!
  • Thanks for the tip - will definitely use google street view. Will also check out this route and approach to Barca
  • Have you looked at Bordeaux to Pau cross the Coll de portalett ( you can get the Marie Blace in on the same day ) down to sabinanigo over the Monrepose pass to huesca across to Lleida and on to Barcelona ( about 430 miles) this route gives you a couple of days on the flat to get the miles in and two iconic pyreneean passes to boot. Camping and b&bs all along the route happy cycling Andy
    Training for the Cycle to Spain and the Quebrantahuesos
    www.seeyouinspain.co.uk
  • richardjs
    richardjs Posts: 11
    Andy, thanks for your suggestion. I have been studying the maps and although your suggestion may be longer in miles than I was anticipating, your point about the higher mileage in the flat days is a good one. You mention Marie Blace but I can't trace this on map - is this close to Col de Portalett? I expect the cycling experience will be much less attractive as we approach Barcelona so wondering about getting train for the last 30-50 miles. This will avoid the heavy traffic and also make the rest of the journey a bit more doable in the time we have allocated. Taking bikes on trains in Spain is not something I am familiar with so will need to research this as well. Any thoughts anyone?