Picker her up today! im in luuurrvvee

xchudy_1325
xchudy_1325 Posts: 85
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
so here's my new baby (Giant Defy 3 2013), and im in luuurrrve

picker her up this afternoon, and i jumped head first into the clippless peddles....so i start riding home and first lights i come to i turn right....well i couldnt unclip! luckilly tho path to my left bailed left grabbed the railing and unclipped safely haha i turned around got settled and started of back home bit twitchy with the unclipping but nothing major and managed get home safely total distance was 8 miles

since being home, ive fitted the cadence and speed sensor for the edge 500 and put her away until the weather clears :(

i was planning to head out this weekend with a mate, but the weather has put a stop to that which im gutted about just hoping the snow isnt around for long!

anyway heres the pics all stock about from the pedals (simano 105)

551900_10151539450822110_859255182_n.jpg

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    looks a cracking bike.nice one.bummer about the weather but were all in the same boat.
    The dogs giving it the eye though.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    That is a quality photo. Boxer posing and amazing wallpaper. Where is the bike ? :-)
  • Inutero
    Inutero Posts: 111
    Is there a caption competition for what your dog is thinking? :lol:

It certainly doesn't look impressed :)

Nice bike though. Hope you enjoy it when this extended winter is gone.
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    Dog looks massively unimpressed by that HUGE saddle pack. Nice bike though.
  • frazered wrote:
    That is a quality photo. Boxer posing and amazing wallpaper. Where is the bike ? :-)

its attached to the front of that rucksack
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    dogs thinking "thats my long walks out the window"
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    What is it with some people.A bloke posts his pride and joy and then idiots rip the piss out of a bag under the seat.
    Shame on you.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • its a bit of banter elderone, the boy has just taken delivery of a very nice piece of kit and we are all jealous that he is king for the day - in the best poss way of course
    he also has some of the funkiest wallpaper that already has the missus eeing up the laptop to go look for it - any help xchudy - so lighten up, we arent all flower waving hippies, we are blokes with our bikes, let the banter ensue
    have a look at the velominati rules - is a p-take f the snobber of cycling - the bag jibes are generally a loose reference to that
    as i said, a bit of fun, no malice - 'kin nice bike
  • LittlePlums
    LittlePlums Posts: 139
    While we're at it: No white background, saddle not level, valves not at 6 o'clock, cranks not aligned and (most heinous of all) a frisbee.

My eyes are hurting!
    Pride and joy: Bianchi Sempre
    Commuting hack: Cube Nature
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    'her'?

does your bike have a ladypart?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    All bikes are female! Everyone knows that!!! I'm worried for you if you have a man bike! :D:D

Nice bike, and I'm glad you like it. But I have to agree with others though - lose the dork disc, and wheel reflectors, and why do you need a saddle bag that size?

I think the photo is quality with your dog looking side ways at the bike!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Whats a dork disc?

Nice bike wish I could get a new bike...

Personally I like a bit of colour on mine but I do like yours, geometry looks nice and comfortable should keep you in good stead. Treat her well.

Dog is definitely not amused. All that attention he/she used to get will not be turned to the bike! Better watch your tyres, might find them bitten through! :)
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Dork Disc - the bit of plastic that sits between the cassette and wheel to stop the chain dumping into the gap - but if the gears are working properly this should never happen

if you leave it one you won't die a horrible death
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • goonz
    Ah I thought it was but better to check, how would you even get it off without totally removing the whell and cog?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Inanimate objects shouldn't be gendered at all.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    you would need to pop the wheel out - you have a quick release skewer so this is easy

you would need a cassette removal tool and a chain whip to take off the lockring, slide the cassette off, bin the dork disc and refit cassette/lockring - not a difficult job per se but you do need the right tools
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • goonz
    edhornby wrote:
    you would need to pop the wheel out - you have a quick release skewer so this is easy

you would need a cassette removal tool and a chain whip to take off the lockring, slide the cassette off, bin the dork disc and refit cassette/lockring - not a difficult job per se but you do need the right tools

THAT is faaaaar too much effort for me to remove a piece of plastic. I am now wondering whether my bike has it, dont remember seeing it on mine...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    You can sometimes break them off, they're quite flimsy.

*i'm not advocating that your do this though, especially if you end up bending a spoke or somthing*
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    smidsy wrote:
    Inanimate objects shouldn't be gendered at all.

:D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    edhornby wrote:

just use a pair of snippers on it, removed mine in 10 seconds :)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Another Giant......
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • Cheers for the replies guys even the jokey ones lol

I went with that saddle bag purely because I want to be sure I have enough room for everything so it was that or a camelbak rouge lol

Urmm wall paper from wilkinson s I think wife does that stuff lol

Plastic ring does no harm and I Cba taking it off so it can stay lol

And the bike being a she just a bit of fun, no need to be so serious

Again thanks guys just can't wait to get back out and ride lol
  • Oh and what's wrong with giant?

Good spec good reviews and in my budget

:s
  • Nice bike, enjoy. Reading your post I felt as if I had written it. Picked up my new Madone 4.5 yesterday, clipless pedals for the first time as well, stopped at lights, couldn't unclip landed on grass verge using every bit of effort to ensure body protected bike on impact. No damage done (except to ego). We live and learn.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    nice new wheels! Love the dog, we had a couple of boxers when I was a kid, great dogs.
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Oh and what's wrong with giant?

nothing, just common as muck on the roads.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    pride4ever wrote:
    Oh and what's wrong with giant?

nothing, just common as muck on the roads.

Is there really any need? :roll:

Looks a great bike. You'll suss the pedals in no time 8)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • Nick_M
    Nick_M Posts: 58
    Bike looks very nice. Dog looks very distinguished. Wallpaper looks very challenging. Enjoy all three!

Best of luck with the weather giving us all a break soon so you can get out. I have a new Lapierre Sensium 300 sat in my own lounge that will probably have to stay there this weekend.
  • MattyyP
    MattyyP Posts: 142
    Very nice bike! Sounds like you have been lucky with the clipless pedals too! However I was lucky for the first 2 months, and then after an exhausting 100 miles, I was 5 or so miles from home and stopped at some traffic lights and just couldn't unclip lol! So I went sideways :lol: It's all part of the fun though :D
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • pmsurrage
    pmsurrage Posts: 11
    Nice bike, I got my first bike yesterday too

how do you upload pictures?