RNLI Charity Ride Summer 2013

rbk1967
rbk1967 Posts: 20
edited March 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hi everyone

New boy here. I'm a volunteer RNLI crew member aiming to do some fundraising and I'd really appreciate feedback on the following;

I've planned (well, not entirely true) an unsupported ride from a Northern French Channel port (tbd), heading west through Normandy and Brittany before turning down the North South cycle path to @ Bayonne before either turning left through the Pyrennes to Perpignon or continuing to Santander, whichever clocks up a 1000 miles in 10-12 days.

My questions are:

1. Can I download the co-ords of the French long distance cycle paths anywhere?
2. Calais or Le Havre: which starting point would you go for?
3. Which end point would be the best -ferry from Spain or Bike Bus from Perpignon?
4. Bearing in mind I intend doing it with only what I can fit in a bar bag and saddle tool bag, what should I consider as a 'must have'?
5. And would you utilise your smart phone or invest in a separate GPS unit or go old school and use maps?
6. En route, could I chance not booking accomodation ahead so if I fancy doing more or less in a day I could or am I risking a night in lycra under a hedge?!

Feedback gratefully received!

Regards

Rob

Comments

• 1) Not that I have ever found, but see point 5
    2) Le Havre will save you a few miles but will be a longer/ dearer crossing.
    3) Opposite sides of the country? Why not cycle to the Pyrenees and then double back to catch the bus back from Lourdes? Reason I say that, I found cycling between Pont du Gard and Saint-Girons, hot, windy, flat and boring, much better to do a loop in the mountains, maybe the col de peyserourde, Aspin and Tourmalet before looping back.
    4) A fat wallet, sun tan lotion, wet wipes, spare brake blocks, spare shorts and shirt, socks, cap, tools, pump, fibre spoke, inner tube + repair kit, chain lube, tape, cable ties, water~proof, phone +spare battery or charger, camera
    5) My Bryton rider 50 came with the Eurovelo routes pre-installed if you decide to go the gps route. Handy device and the rechargeable battery lasts about 12 hours, possible to run off AA's if you adapt the mount and use a usb pack.
    6) Depends when you are going, June ~ mid July, September then you will be ok just turning up even in August you will probably be able to find somewhere if you are avoiding the main tourist towns.

Make sure you have a new chain, tyres, brake blocks and your cassette is unworn, new batteries in all lights at start. Also have at least 2 bottle cages on the bike and I would take electrolyte tabs, eg Hiigh5 zero.

You might also like to check out couch surfing and warm showers if you fancy meeting French families and want to be more strict about your destination on any given night.
  • rbk1967
    Hi Andrew,

Words of wisdom greatly received.

Ref point 3, are you suggesting I cycle through the interior to the various cols you mention as opposed to the north south west coast cycle path? Sorry if I have it wrong.

As it happens Im just about to call Bike Bus people and see what options they have on offer.

Regards

Rob
  • Hi, I was presuming you where planning on following EuroVelo 1 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... roVelo.png down the SW coast of France which will take you to Bayonne and then either over the border to Santander or through the South of France to Perpignon, I think I would follow the foothills of the Pyrenees to St Girons then double back over portet d'aspet, mente, peyserourde, Aspin and Tourmalet then a lovely fast descent to Lourdes. Will easily take your mileage over 1000, depends on wether you like hills or not :)

Bike express http://www.bike-express.co.uk/
  • rbk1967
    Hiya

Ive just uploaded your suggestions into google maps but changed the commencement point to Cherbourg.

The 'hilly' bit looks probably the biggest challenge but then how can I refuse this sitting in my comfy living room??!!

The route is @ 1400km but moving it more towards the north south cycle path will surely bring up 1600km quite easily.

Realisitically, all things being 'equal@ what distance could I expect to get done in the hills on a daily basis just so I can consider where to aim for accomodation?

Regards

Rob
  • rbk1967 wrote:

Realisitically, all things being 'equal@ what distance could I expect to get done in the hills on a daily basis just so I can consider where to aim for accomodation?

Regards

Rob

Hard to say, only you know how fit and how well you climb hills. If you work on a good average climb being 18~20 km with gradient between 4~12% Ave 7%, Downhills are free but still take time depending on your descending confidence.
  • rbk1967
    Fair game on fitness levels comment! One big climb a day or 2 smaller ones seems suffice and if I am running out of time, break for Lourdes, collapse and hope the waters there can still work miracles!
  • rbk1967
    Can anyone give me a nod towards a GPS unit for the bike? i'm not massively needing to buy the latest Garmin 810 etc (or indeed bike specific with cadence, etc)but accept it will make life a lot easier than carrying a bundle of non waterproof maps.

ty

Rob
  • As I mentioned the Bryton rider 50 is a good little unit. Battery life is about 12hours on a full charge and will work whilst charging. Modifying the mount allowed me to run it from a solar panel or a USB AA battery pack when I was cycling through France for 3 weeks last year.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Does the rider 50 swap between stats and the nav when showing turns etc, then go back to stats like the garmin 800 ?
  • rbk1967
    Hi

Ive opted for the garmin 810 just today. So, I am officially all the gear no idea whther I can cycle 100 mIles a day man!!!!

Actually genuinely concerned at the snow forcast for this weeeknd. Another lost trg opportunity.