Anyone here got any cool guitars and guitar gear?

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited March 2013 in The cake stop
Reckon there must be a few guitarists on here... anyone got any cool guitars/pedals/amps etc?

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Fender P-Bass Lite very much like this one.

MVC-001S.jpg

Having long fingers, I much prefer the bass to the 6 string.
  • Greg-46a
    Greg-46a Posts: 24
    Another bassist here, I used to gig with this, had to sell it a couple of years ago when I was a bit skint (it's an Epiphone, couldn't afford a Gibson original). I've still got my Fender Jazz bass, and a Telecaster 6 string.

IMG_0209_zps45e4d8e1.jpg
  • Katz
    Katz Posts: 25
    10 string BC rich
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Katz......isn't the clue in the title? 'Cool guitars'.........which bit of cool
    didn't you understand?
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    I've got a PRS - is that cool?
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • mfin
    edited March 2013
    I'll have to dig up some pics, got a Les Paul and a Jag, just selling a Tele, and a JV62 80s Strat is arrving next week, and got a custom body being built, few bits of cool switching in it, sort of tele-esque that's having an old late 70s japanese strat neck on it. Got a couple of valve amps too.
  • mfin
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    Katz......isn't the clue in the title? 'Cool guitars'.........which bit of cool
    didn't you understand?

:) that BC Rich is great, I wouldnt want it myself, but I love quirky stuff.
  • mfin
    edited March 2013

Not if its an SE ;)

...god knows why I wrote 'cool' in the title though! Just telling myself off for that right now
  • crown_jewel
    crown_jewel Posts: 545
    I have a Collings and a Kopp.
  • mfin
    I have a Collings and a Kopp.

:) which Collings have you got?

Not heard of Kopp, will have a gander... edit... is that Kevin Kopp?
  • mfin
    Ive got one of these, I'll have to dig up photos of my others as they're not recent ones.

fender-johnny-marr-jaguar-1-640-80.jpg

12871_Fender_Johnny_Marr_Jaguar_Olympic_White_V203015_a.jpg
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    Gordon Smith GS2. No pics on this device though. Junior has a black satin Gibson Les Paul which I'm hoping he'll tire of. There are one or two copies around too, but they don't really count as cool. (I do like my knock off es335 though).
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    mfin, that is the Johnny Marr sig Jaguar ja?

DrKJM - The GS's are nice, I find they sing with a wee p/u upgrade.

Nico, BikeRadars resident guitar tech
  • mfin
    nweststeyn wrote:

Yep, tis. Im just toying with the idea of putting a Mastery Bridge on it as I think it will give it a slight setup advantage over the one that it comes with, a lot of people tend to put one on.

Its sounds great, bare knuckle pickups are great in it. Ive got some BN Mules in my Les Paul too, and that came with Custom 57's originally, the Mules (uncovered) are fantastic in comparison, so balanced between each other for a start, but very articulate sounding too.

There's been a couple of niggles with the Jag, Johnny's/Fender's sales pitch goes on about how its been rethought, but god knows how they missed the need for a treble bleed cap and resistor, it wasn't just losing tone as you turn the vol down, it was almost unusable for rolling off the volume. The other problem was ridiculous, they needed longer saddle springs, I got away with a longer one on the high E, but the B probably needed one. It was so stupid that when the top E was intonated correctly, the saddle would not only rattle, it would vibrate its way out! ...at least these things are the grand total of 3 quid and a bit of messing about.
  • mfin
    DrKJM wrote:
    Gordon Smith GS2. No pics on this device though. Junior has a black satin Gibson Les Paul which I'm hoping he'll tire of. There are one or two copies around too, but they don't really count as cool. (I do like my knock off es335 though).

A lot of GS's are great, I was only talking to someone earlier about how their waiting lists years ago. I reckon a few GSs will become more and more sought after in years to come.
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    Got a Les Paul and a Dean, will get some photos later on. Would love a Parker Dragonfly though. One day
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Had an old Les Paul Custom, sold it and bought a new washing machine and went on holiday :shock:

Oh I also bought a Lakewood (german) hand crafted acoustic, mahogany body/neck, sitca spruce top, ebony finger board beauty :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Have no pics at the moment, but...

My amp

_c993638_image_0.jpg

and a v old pic of my guitar (I don't have the vox anymore, they are cack)

189496_6208025377_1780_n.jpg

Amy is now 7!
    Insert bike here:
  • mpatts
    Oh, and a very bad photo of me playing my acoustic (it's a norman) at a recent impromptu birthday party jamalong.

602530_10151930900235394_1415270552_n.jpg
    Insert bike here:
  • That'll be no then,

I have a MIM Telecaster and a Spider II amp, I do things on the cheap. I'd love a Jazzmaster because of the whole Kevin Shields thing.
  • mpatts
    That'll be no then,

I have a MIM Telecaster and a Spider II amp, I do things on the cheap. I'd love a Jazzmaster because of the whole Kevin Shields thing.

Cheeky :D

I love my tokai tele - nicer than my custom shop fender.
    Insert bike here:
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I've bought and sold some fantastic guitars in my time (an Anderson Cobra, Suhr Re Beech, PRS CU22, an ESP Kirk Hammett with skull inlays, a gorgeous Fender Anniversary Strat and many others) but I'm down to three now... a cheapish electro acoustic, a Hohner headless Steinberger copy with EMGs (so very 80's Van Halen) and a Japanese Ibanez 335 lawsuit copy from 1979 which I bought secondhand for £200 when I was sixteen. Despite spending a small fortune on exotic guitars since, it's the only one that's remained with me and I'd never sell...
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    mfin wrote:
    nweststeyn wrote:

Yep, tis. Im just toying with the idea of putting a Mastery Bridge on it as I think it will give it a slight setup advantage over the one that it comes with, a lot of people tend to put one on.

Its sounds great, bare knuckle pickups are great in it. Ive got some BN Mules in my Les Paul too, and that came with Custom 57's originally, the Mules (uncovered) are fantastic in comparison, so balanced between each other for a start, but very articulate sounding too.

There's been a couple of niggles with the Jag, Johnny's/Fender's sales pitch goes on about how its been rethought, but god knows how they missed the need for a treble bleed cap and resistor, it wasn't just losing tone as you turn the vol down, it was almost unusable for rolling off the volume. The other problem was ridiculous, they needed longer saddle springs, I got away with a longer one on the high E, but the B probably needed one. It was so stupid that when the top E was intonated correctly, the saddle would not only rattle, it would vibrate its way out! ...at least these things are the grand total of 3 quid and a bit of messing about.

I've installed a couple of Mastery bridges in the past few weeks - I'd say definitely go for it! The saddle adjustment springs issue sounds irritating though - we have a Johnny Marr sig at the moment in the shop where I work and it doesn't seem to have this issue but knowing Fender, that doesn't mean much...

At least it's not a Gibson :D (Worst quality control of all, unless you count Hagstrom, which I don't).
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    mfin wrote:

Not if its an SE ;)
    :D

No, it's a 95 Custom in Vintage Yellow. Haven't played it for quite a few years now, sadly.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • mfin
    nweststeyn wrote:

I've installed a couple of Mastery bridges in the past few weeks - I'd say definitely go for it! The saddle adjustment springs issue sounds irritating though - we have a Johnny Marr sig at the moment in the shop where I work and it doesn't seem to have this issue but knowing Fender, that doesn't mean much...

At least it's not a Gibson :D (Worst quality control of all, unless you count Hagstrom, which I don't).

Ah, thats good to hear some positive feedback on the Mastery. I think I am going to get one ordered.

Yeah, go look at the Marr and look at the top E saddle, I'll bet you find (with that being the most forward saddle) that the spring needs to be longer/stronger as its hardly pushing the saddle at all. I wrote off to Fender about it (of course, I replaced the spring).

The problem is definitely a problem, as this was the one guitar that I couldnt see in a shop so had to order online (breaking my golden rule), but, I had one arrive and the vibration in transit had seen the top E screw fall out in the case... anyway, I wasn't happy with the case catches and a couple of other things, so I returned it. I then ordered an identical one from elsewhere and guess what?? It arrived with the same screw having fallen off in the case! There's only a couple of threads in the top E saddle as each saddle is machined differently, and the screw just goes through when intonated properly, so the whole thing is intolerant to having a weak/short spring.

I do wonder however how the 7 1/4 radius Strat I was playing last week had a great low action and the Jag just cant get down to a medium low, it messes with my brain. Id like it lower, but the necks been tweaked by a pro already, so Im thinking I'll get the mastery, then get it to someone great for a proper fret levelling job to make sure everythings optimum on it, then I think it will get a reasonable medium kind of action on it.

I half wondered about getting it plek-ed first to do most of the levelling part of the setup. I know people like gibson(?) plek things, but they don't really do it individually on 'settled' guitars, they're simulating string tension and then running a standard milling program (this is what Ive seemed to ascertain, don't know if its true)... but a plek on guitar being looked at as a one off, first being scanned with the strings actually on it Im led to believe is a different game altogether.

(I know plek is not the be all and end all, and requires work afterwards to finish the setup and get it bang on, I think one of the London shops has the only privately run one in the country)
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    My main guitar is a Patrick Eggle prototype from just before they went bust, an all sycamore semi-hollow thing with some very early Bare Knuckle P-90s. It's really very nice indeed, and covers a lot of sonic ground. Does a great impression of Bill Steer's tone through a Marshall JCM800.

Aside from that, I have a '73 Deluxe Tele that had never actually been assembled till I put it together (apparently, legend had it that it was bought in bits out the "back door" of the Fender factory). It's more than a bit heavy, and needed a hell of a lot of work to get into anything approaching playable condition. It does sound amazing, though, the original Fender WideRange humbuckers sound nothing like standard humbuckers, having a lot more P-90/Tele "snap" about them. Despite the model* being by yer Cold Patrols and Snowplay sounding bands, it's my go to guitar for any heavy rhythm work.

*Not the actual model, to my ears. Probably the 90's Japanese or later reissues, as the tones live or on record don't sound much like the old pickups, and most if not all reissues had stock humbuckers mocked up to look like proper WRHB's with a cosmetic metal plate.
  • mfin
    My main guitar is a Patrick Eggle prototype from just before they went bust, an all sycamore semi-hollow thing with some very early Bare Knuckle P-90s. It's really very nice indeed, and covers a lot of sonic ground. Does a great impression of Bill Steer's tone through a Marshall JCM800.

Aside from that, I have a '73 Deluxe Tele that had never actually been assembled till I put it together (apparently, legend had it that it was bought in bits out the "back door" of the Fender factory). It's more than a bit heavy, and needed a hell of a lot of work to get into anything approaching playable condition. It does sound amazing, though, the original Fender WideRange humbuckers sound nothing like standard humbuckers, having a lot more P-90/Tele "snap" about them. Despite the model* being by yer Cold Patrols and Snowplay sounding bands, it's my go to guitar for any heavy rhythm work.

*Not the actual model, to my ears. Probably the 90's Japanese or later reissues, as the tones live or on record don't sound much like the old pickups, and most if not all reissues had stock humbuckers mocked up to look like proper WRHB's with a cosmetic metal plate.

One of the best guitars I ever owned was a Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro with the falling Maple Leaves on Ebony. It was nothing short of brilliant. I sold it to one of my best mates solely as the Berlin is a small guitar and looks tiny on a 6ft bloke, i made it look like a banjo! I don't think Ive ever played a guitar that plays that perfectly of its type.
  • MisterMuncher
    I'd love to have the Maple leaves. Best inlay ever. Not much chance of that now, though.

I think most Eggles were pretty small, except the Artist and the RSG (which was huge beyond reason, and looked like a 335 made by Rickenbacker) so they do look a bit odd. Weirdly, though, my mate has an Eggle 5-string bass which is a giant thing, a great big body and a 35.5" scale neck.
  • mfin
    Yeah, the quality on those maple leaves matches absolutely anything you can buy at any price, incredible. That one was a relatively early one too. You could probably get one, theres a food forum where the odd thing pops up and prices are not that mad, especially compared to what people ask on ebay.

The Vienna was the answer to the size thing, that's a bit bigger, but there are not many around.
  • MisterMuncher
    Ah, sorry, I was a bit unclear. I'd want leaves on a guitar the same as mine (A weird, high-end variant on the short lived "Wave") which I don't think were ever produced.