Lidl Cycling Gear - 21/3/13

peat
peat Posts: 1,242
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
Offer starts tomorrow
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/www_lidl_ ... .htm?id=16

Couldn't see another thread on it, and i know how much you commuters like your gear.

I shall be after a Gillet and some base layers.

Comments

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    jerseys and track pump for me
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Waterproof jacket for me
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I reckon the gilet will be a good thing for those 'in between' spring days where the morning is a bit cooler than the evening, currently use my gore jacket with the arms zipped off but it's a bit much really.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • ****Must*******resist************track***************pump***************gggggngnnnnnnnngggggghhhhhhhhhh

I've had three and they all broke the first time I used them.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Some feedback on my Lidl shopping trip today:

I bought the gilet, but, since getting it home, I've discovered it's too large for me. Sizing is definitely not Italian. I'm not convinced it's British. American, maybe? It's a perfectly neat, little thing, and great value at a tenner, but I don't think it's going to be easily packable, which I would have thought was pretty important in a gilet. When I take mine back I will not be swapping it for a medium. I'll look out for good deals on proper brands. Don't know what Wiggle are doing, or at what prices, but I suspect a DHB gilet would be well worth the extra.

I went for the track pump too, and so far it works, but it's clearly not the best quality.

The mania had kicked in by that point and I bought three pairs of socks. On closer inspection they don't look to be brilliant quality.

I looked at the base layers and, just like everything else, they were cheap, but really looked it.

In retrospect I'm thinking it might be a case of you-get-what-you-pay-for.

On the plus side I got some plant food, lots of nuts and an enormous jar of pickles. Win! :)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I got a Team Sky Gillet from M&M for £20 (proper Adidas one before they went snobby)

#justsaying

:)
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    I shall be taking a trip to Lidl after work, mainly for the mini pump, but in reality i'll probably end up buying a base layer and tool kit too...
  • littleprawn
    littleprawn Posts: 135
    Some feedback on my Lidl shopping trip today:

I bought the gilet, but, since getting it home, I've discovered it's too large for me. Sizing is definitely not Italian. I'm not convinced it's British. American, maybe? It's a perfectly neat, little thing, and great value at a tenner, but I don't think it's going to be easily packable, which I would have thought was pretty important in a gilet. When I take mine back I will not be swapping it for a medium. I'll look out for good deals on proper brands. Don't know what Wiggle are doing, or at what prices, but I suspect a DHB gilet would be well worth the extra.

Got the Gilet in M....too long and loose....am 5ft 8....might have to return it...and agree with above points...wish it was Italian sizing....the same can be said about the SS top...loose and a tad long but I will probably keep this.

Got the floor pump too and it must be an improvment on my bike pump!
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    The Medium Gilet fit my 'Large' colleague nicely. It is a little looser than desired on me, but the small was too small.

Dread to think how big the XXL's (of which there were plenty) would be.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Word of warning - I've had the lights before - the light was fine, but the bit of the bracket that the light itself attaches too was poorly designed and kept coming loose.

Eventually light (still attached to a small bit of the bracket) popped off and was done for by following car's tyre....
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Lidl sizing is massive! I picked up a gilet in S, I haven't got one at the moment and for a tenner its worth a try. Will be for sring (if it ever arrives) commuting so can stuff it in backpack and not worry about stowability. Picked up one of the baselayers in M as well as could be handy if it fits well, but anything other than snug (unlikely) and it will be going back.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The mania had kicked in by that point and I bought three pairs of socks. On closer inspection they don't look to be brilliant quality.

I looked at the base layers and, just like everything else, they were cheap, but really looked it.

In retrospect I'm thinking it might be a case of you-get-what-you-pay-for.

Generally I prefer the Aldi stuff though I probably won't even be doing their sale as I have a fair bit of it already and it lasts forever - I think it will only wear out with dynamite. I think most of my socks are Lidl winter ones and they are excellent though for me they are summer socks.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • willy b
    Picked up a M baselayer, and the fit is tight, ideal under a SS jersey. I'm a 36/38" chest btw.

Also got a little pump, which will be a good backup.
  • Anonymous
    Picked up an M waterproof. Do they make an S? If someone in London sees one, can they get it for me!?
  • willy b
    Most sizes in everything was L and XL (Edgware Road store) I had to really hunt for a M.
  • Anonymous
    Clapham Junction seems well stocked in most things, and not raided by savages
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    The S gilet was like a tent! M base layer fit OK, but I wasn't convinced it wasn't just a nylon sleeveless t-shirt and as I was returning the gilet anyway...
  • I really like the Lidl gilets. Bought one a year or two ago and found that I wore it a lot from Easter through to September. Together with a set of arm warmers it did for me in all but the wettest conditions. The pockets are really useful too, especially when my cycle top doesn't have them. Just bought a new one in a different colour.

Have to agree that the sizes are BIG though, so getting one to fit isn't easy.

Sure, branded kit may be better, but for commuting these are a great buy for £10.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Oh, and the de-greaser is complete bobbins.