Not losing weight....

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
As in "I need to avoid losing weight", not "I'm trying to lose weight but can't" :wink:

My knee is feeling better, almost a year after being hit by a car, so I'm starting to get back to regular commuting. I'm also doing a Welsh MTB coast to coast challenge in September:( http://crudcatcherc2cc.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1 ) so will be ramping up the miles in preparation for that. Even before I do that I seem to burn off everything I eat. In the months where I was doing basically no exercise I didn't put any weight on, despite eating (IMO) a relatively healthy, varied and plentiful diet.

Basically, with a BMI of 20, I've not got much in the way of fat reserves so I definitely don't want to lose any weight. How do the other 'lean' folk with longish commutes manage to eat enough, especially at work, to not waste away?

Loads of sandwiches? Mountains of pasta? Protein shakes? Blocks of lard? Fish and chips five times a week?
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    edited March 2013
    Eat more? Develop a chocolate habit.

Trailmix? Nuts?
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Carbs and carbs and carbs.

I'm having a similar problem. I am doing more and more riding in preparation for a week long jaunt in May. The weight just keeps falling off and i didnt think i had any to lose! 6ft3 and 75kg...... It's not a good look.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    I find that smoking weed in the evenings gives me the horrendous munchies so I stuff my face on cakes, crisps and packets of biscuits.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628
    Big breakfast. Big Lunch. Big Dinner. Grazing to fill the gaps.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I can lend you some if that would help
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Excuse for a see food diet.

See food. Eat it.
  • bails87
    See food. Eat it.
    I can assure you I already do!
    MTB/CX

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I definitely started to eat more when I started commuting by bike. I seem to be constantly grazing. So I suppose you should just keep eating more.
    After my accident I didn't cut down my intake and did put on 3 kilos. Hopefully I'll shake that as I'm riding more now. Glad you're back on the bike Bails, Welsh ride should be fun.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    I don't seem to be able to stop loosing weight at the moment either - possibly due to two chest infections so far this year.

I have reacquainted myself with the sausage rolls done by the canteen and I'm hoping these fill the gap. If this doesn't work their chelsea buns are awesome and may provide the answer.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I find that smoking weed in the evenings gives me the horrendous munchies so I stuff my face on cakes, crisps and packets of biscuits.
    Hash cakes are the answer. Eat cake, get munchies, eat more cake, get more munchies, eat more cake, etc
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    You bastards. I just have to look at pasta and I'm piling it on

Doing 30 miles a day for the last 9 months and in the first 3 months dropped about a stone but remained static since then at a BMI of 25.
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Move to the USA :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628
    661.jpg
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bails87
    :lol: Probably the surest solution!
    MTB/CX

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Seeing food isn't enough. You need to eat it just because you know it's there.

And it has to be junk food, for example not just one biscuit but 5 plus a packet of crisps. And that's just for an evening snack just before you go to bed. Have the same or more earlier in the day as an afternoon snack. You could even have another couple of biscuits or packet of crisps in the morning just to make sure.
  • Drink lots of beer. As a weight gaining programme, it works for me...
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    F*** away off

That is all.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I've got 4 stone you can have.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • bails87
    I don't want more weight, I just don't want to look like I've got a smack problem....

It's not a problem, I can quit any time I like.
    MTB/CX

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm not as svelte as you but I have a similar problem right now, been stuffing my face for the least 3 months and have still dropped 5 pounds.

As an indication the full to empty weight of my lunchbox for work is 1.15Kg, breakfast getting home snack, dinner and supper on top of that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    bails87 wrote:
    I don't want more weight, I just don't want to look like I've got a smack problem....

It's not a problem, I can quit any time I like.
    zammo.jpg?

I am always hungry. No matter how much I eat, I remain hungry. Now that I am doing more cycling and am generally more active (my working day now consists of me sitting down for about 30 minutes rather than all day) I am hungrier than ever. MrsEKE is trying to lose weight, I'm just trying to maintain but her idea of portion control is my idea of a starvation diet.

Bails, my suggestions:
    Two breakfasts, (one at home, the other at work) one of these breakfasts should be a fry-up.
    Elevenses which include sugary biscuits. Chocolate digestives or Hob Nobs are ideal.
    Big lunch. At least three courses and lots of carbs.
    Pre-home time munch. Any good cake shops near where you work?
    Pre-dinner munch. I quite like cheese and biscuits to fill the massive time gap between getting home from work and eating dinner.
    Dinner. Have a big portion. Then have seconds.
    Dessert. Yes please. Have ice-cream on the side too.
    Supper. Eat it. Remember, breakfast is a long time away so you'll need to stock up to prevent yourself getting hungry during the night.

To make sure you don't get peckish between the above set meal times, feel free to snack on fruit, berries and nuts. And chocolate, pies and sweets.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    The problem with eating cakes etc is that all those sugar calories are entirely empty - so while a slice a day is good, you don't want to be having too many of them.

Can you try making sure that you've got calorie-dense foods in your diet? That generally means fats of some sort. Having an avocado drizzled in chilli oil as a starter perhaps? Nuts are good. Dried fruit still has the sugar problem but at least with some fibre in there. And if you want something sweet - something like a wholemeal bagel slathered in peanut butter with a banana mashed into it would be better for you than the slice of cake.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242

Funnily enough, a week after my big ride i shall be going to the states for a week.

I keep a spreadsheet of my weekly weight & fat%. The results will be interesting.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Drink lots of beer. As a weight gaining programme, it works for me...

^ This ^
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    The problem with eating cakes etc is that all those sugar calories are entirely empty - so while a slice a day is good, you don't want to be having too many of them.

Can you try making sure that you've got calorie-dense foods in your diet? That generally means fats of some sort. Having an avocado drizzled in chilli oil as a starter perhaps? Nuts are good. Dried fruit still has the sugar problem but at least with some fibre in there. And if you want something sweet - something like a wholemeal bagel slathered in peanut butter with a banana mashed into it would be better for you than the slice of cake.

:shock: WTH?

Lunch should look like this
    nurse.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    can only assume you guys are young things, weight aint dropping off me and I could do with losing a stone or two! 120 miles a week and I see no change, would not even say my diet was rubbish but something aint right.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've put on some weight since breaking my arm at the end of Jan, I couldn't do any exercise for 6 weeks, no running, cycling no gym, just walking... I'm cycling again now and have done a couple of runs but still not back at the gym, the muscles in my left arm are still pretty wasted so it's hard to do what I used to do - pull ups, dips etc.

If you're looking to put on weight I wouldn't necessarily go down the route of chowing down on loads of unhealthy cr@p like cakes, pre packed and prepared food like sausage rolls etc. Loading up on sat fat and trans fat just because you "think" you are too skinny is not a good way to go. I would have a long, hard look at your diet, calculate what you burn on a daily basis and what you consume.

Over the years I've heard many people tell me they eat "loads" but never put on weight (and vice versa, chubby friends say they barely eat) but when you take a long hard objective look you realise that, compared with others you really aren't eating what you should. Saying to yourself you eat "loads" is very subjective, if you really believe there is a problem, take a calulated, objective view. Have you ever watched that TV prog "Supersize/Superskinny", many of the skinny people think they are eating more than enough, they simply don't seem to have much of a concept of what it is their bodies need to function. On the other hand, the supersizers just don't realise what they're absent mindedly packing away every day.

Perhaps you're at your optimum weight anyway? Why do you necessarily think you need to pile on the pounds? If it really concerns you, see a nutritionist or dietician but personally I wouldn't simply lay into the lardy takeaway foods, whether you're too thin, too fat or just right, that sort of food is never good in abundance...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • bails87
    Thanks HH, although I have said that I don't want to put on weight! I just didn't want to lose weight when I start burning a load more calories. I've always been slim and don't have a problem with that, it's the potential for problems when/if I'm burning more than I'm getting back from food.

And I agree that just eating crap isn't the right answer, I took those posts as being tongue in cheek.

The super size/super skinny programme is interesting, it often seems like the skinny people have the truly unhealthy diets ("I only eat dry ryvitas and I drink 30 cans of red bull a day") whereas a lot of the fatties aren't necessarily eating the wrong things, they're just eating enough for four people.
    MTB/CX

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    bails87 wrote:
    Thanks HH, although I have said that I don't want to put on weight! I just didn't want to lose weight when I start burning a load more calories. I've always been slim and don't have a problem with that, it's the potential for problems when/if I'm burning more than I'm getting back from food.

And I agree that just eating crap isn't the right answer, I took those posts as being tongue in cheek.

The super size/super skinny programme is interesting, it often seems like the skinny people have the truly unhealthy diets ("I only eat dry ryvitas and I drink 30 cans of red bull a day") whereas a lot of the fatties aren't necessarily eating the wrong things, they're just eating enough for four people.
    Ah I didn't read properly, in that case just make sure you get some good energy drinks and bars as well as a but more proper food. I wouldn't worry too much, my weight dipped whilst I was training hard for London to Paris last year but it soon equalised itself once I was back to my old routine and diet...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    itboffin wrote:

:shock: WTH?

Lunch should look like this
    nurse.jpg

I did say as a starter...

You've posted the main course and pudding

Don't see a problem :lol: