Why Can't All Companies Respond Like This?

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
Tacx VR turbo turned up yesterday. Spent a few hours last night messing about trying to get the software to work properly. Last night (9pm ish) emailed Tacx support. 08.15 this morning, reply from Tacx with full software update (retail would have cost me £100+). Can't ask for better service than that (short of sending around a scantily-clad nubile young thing to install it for me).

Slightly miffed at the retailer for selling me a product with very out-of-date software (clearly new old stock). I'm waiting to hear back from them.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    I think companies are learning that good customer service pays off in the long run. I reckon that's why John Lewis sales figures are often better than their competitors, they have a reputation for good service.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I think companies are learning that good customer service pays off in the long run. I reckon that's why John Lewis sales figures are often better than their competitors, they have a reputation for good service.

Not n my house they don't!

3 months to get a microwave delivered (got it for free in the end, though).

A chest of drawers that took about 3 weeks to arrive had to be sent back because it turned up damaged. Another 3 week wait, replacement arrived - damaged. Another 3 week wait, replacement arrived - only minor damage this time so cut our losses.

Mirror - wait - arrived - damaged - return - wait - replacement arrived.

Two sets of crockery poorly glazed that had to be returned.

It's fair to say that JL honour their responsibilities without question, and their customer support staff are very polite and sympathetic, but their delivery service is appalling. If I can't check it in the shop and get it home myself then I'll shop elsewhere.
  • meanredspider
    but their delivery service is appalling. If I can't check it in the shop and get it home myself then I'll shop elsewhere.

+1 Had furniture delivered that was only good for firewood. Shambolic delivery too - random bits delivered at random times and had messages to say a product was on 4-week back order only for it to be delivered that afternoon!

In general, though, JL is one of the better ones. And, agree wholeheartedly with V68 that this will be a differentiator of the future - especially as more stuff is done remotely.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Veronese68 wrote:

Not n my house they don't!

3 months to get a microwave delivered (got it for free in the end, though).

A chest of drawers that took about 3 weeks to arrive had to be sent back because it turned up damaged. Another 3 week wait, replacement arrived - damaged. Another 3 week wait, replacement arrived - only minor damage this time so cut our losses.

Mirror - wait - arrived - damaged - return - wait - replacement arrived.

Two sets of crockery poorly glazed that had to be returned.

It's fair to say that JL honour their responsibilities without question, and their customer support staff are very polite and sympathetic, but their delivery service is appalling. If I can't check it in the shop and get it home myself then I'll shop elsewhere.

Nor mine. Worst company ever.

Everything I've bought from JL in the last six years has been damaged or faulty and their service levels have dropped substantially in recent years.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,313
    We got our gift list there when we got married. Day off work after honeymoon for delivery and unpacking stuff etc.

Van arrives. 4 boxes come up. Well, that's it. What? Where are the other 4/5ths of our gifts? Oh, on a different van. One that got cancelled. Cheers.

Nothing was damaged though :)
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Slightly miffed at the retailer for selling me a product with very out-of-date software (clearly new old stock). I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Assuming the turbo trainer is the correct model, to be fair, not sure what the retailer could have done about the software being out of date. Software releases get pushed out regularly and usually there are instructions for you to download or obtain the latest version from the manufacturer.
  • meanredspider
    kelsen wrote:

Assuming the turbo trainer is the correct model, to be fair, not sure what the retailer could have done about the software being out of date. Software releases get pushed out regularly and usually there are instructions for you to download or obtain the latest version from the manufacturer.

Yes - normally I'd agree - but I think I have 2009 software - version 1 when the latest is version 4 (with typically 5-10 updates on each version). It's a bit like buying a new laptop and discovering it's running Windows XP. To be fair, bike shops may not be that savvy on this. And Tacx have updated me to the equivalent of Windows 7.
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    pangolin wrote:
    We got our gift list there when we got married. Day off work after honeymoon for delivery and unpacking stuff etc.

Van arrives. 4 boxes come up. Well, that's it. What? Where are the other 4/5ths of our gifts? Oh, on a different van. One that got cancelled. Cheers.

Nothing was damaged though :)

lucky you!! We lost ALL of our wedding gifts as we got married on the day that Wrapit went bust...the utter spivs knew they were going under, too. No refunds to any of our wedding guests, we get no gifts. Charming.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Blimey - how did they manage that? Just shows it is all down to the stats and customer averages. Personally I would never buy a single thing from them again. Hopeless organisation in my experience.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    Daz555 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Blimey - how did they manage that? Just shows it is all down to the stats and customer averages. Personally I would never buy a single thing from them again. Hopeless organisation in my experience.
    Funny isn't it. I knew as I wrote the post someone would have a bad experience, a bit surprised at how many. I tend to buy from them in preference to other places because I find they have better after sales than a lot of other places, and they have a large shop a short walk from my house. I have had an item fail (not their fault) and although it was a year old I was offered a full refund as it was no longer made. Many other shops would have just sent it away for repair. I have had them screw up with a delivery, but the problem was resolved quickly and to my satisfaction.
    I think everybody makes mistakes, it's how they are resolved that makes the difference. My experiences have been good.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I think everybody makes mistakes, it's how they are resolved that makes the difference. My experiences have been good.
    That's the crux of it ...

We're in a blame culture that is damaging this country - everything that goes wrong has to be someone(elses) fault - and we want them to pay ...
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Slowbike wrote:
    We're in a blame culture that is damaging this country

Its true. We need to find out who is responsible and hold them to account!
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    notsoblue wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Wiggle
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    kelsen wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Wiggle

I'm sitting next to MrsEKE and cracking up laughing. She looks over at the screen expecting to see some hilarious Youtube video or something but sees that I'm "on that bloody forum again". She asked what is so funny so I show her the two quotes above. She doesn't get it.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • meanredspider
    We need to find out who's to blame and congratulate them. Tacx TTS3.13 installed and it's fantastic. Well done Tacx!
  • Blandiblub
    Blandiblub Posts: 134
    Just to add to the JL ranting, we bought a Freesat box from them, but ensuring that they weren't going to sell another (better) model in a week's time. They categorically said no so we bought our box. Of course, they then put the better model on sale in a week or so, so I arranged to bring the first one back in to store. I could pick the new one up in the collections area.

All fine up to that point. Only thing was, the one they sold us was another return! It had obviously been opened before, had fingerprints on the box, the batteries were loose/rattling around in the box and the cable bag was ripped open.

Went straight back in to the store and demanded a new one. Took a while but got there in the end. So obvious that they tried to foister the returned one on us for having the audacity to return the first one we bought!
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011