Rule 9.

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
So we all go banging on about how hard we are. Some of us say how cold it is when we ride.

I've got 2 photos of my cycling mate to share that he took this Winter:

20130219_080902_zpsb3f815c8.jpg

Yep. They are icicles hanging off his beard and eyebrows.

20130219_080856_zpsfff27041.jpg

Shorts. Honestly. Shorts. I keep telling him.

By the way. This is the guy that hopped on my spare Tricross and did 106 miles on Sunday.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624
    Day 43

Food stocks very low now and Aubrey has started to show signs of delirium and taken to wearing shorts. Not sure how much longer we can last...
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    That is not hard. That is stupid. IMHO.
    Hard is when you get caught out and endure. Stupid is knowing it will be bad and still going out unprepared.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    20130219_080856_zpsfff27041.jpg
    I've had her. :|
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    That is just plain silly. I regularly see a bloke riding the opposite way to me in shorts and a t shirt, bald head and no hat whatever the weather. He's an idiot. I once asked him if he was cold as we met at one of the park gates. He answered with a voice several octaves higher than I expected. I can only assume his testicles fell off quite some time ago.
    Personally I prefer to dress appropriately and leave all the important bits intact.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    ^^Haters^^ (Except CIB - he rolls of Di2, which is gangsta)

Me? Personally, I wouldn't do it but I understand that the OP is from the North of London and I'm told proving ones hardness with willing acts of endangerment is what they do for entertainment.... and to get burds.

I'm sure MsManc will want to send your mate her phone number due to his apparent hardness.

#hatethegamenottheplayer
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    edited March 2013
    Pfffffft, is he wearing a jacket? What a lightweight.

Seriously, you have ask to the question why? I have certainly arrived at work looking icier than that a few times this winter, but ever since the invention of clothes a few millennia ago I have found I enjoy my rides much more if the ice forms on the outside of a few layers of fabric - not to mention things like glasses, which this guy was clearly not wearing.

He must be as hard as nails, but is he a) stupid, b) just wanting to show off how hard he is or c) both?
  • Yours truly after my daily 20km commute. If memory serves it was roundabout -20 degrees Celsius. And yes, I was wearing tights.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randomm/43 ... hotostream
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    OMFG what are those things on his feet?!?!?! :shock:

You could have put a warning in the title
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    itboffin wrote:
    OMFG what are those things on his feet?!?!?! :shock:

You could have put a warning in the title

:lol::lol::lol:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Funny. I get abuse from my cycling mates for wearing shorts at inappropriate temperatures (my excuse is I went to public school but the reality is that I hate tights) but never below freezing.

He's obviously not interested in getting burds because he has facial hair :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I went to public school

I knew it!
  • Yeah, unruly facial hair may be a hit among burds if you're Hugh Jackman but not so much if you're a chubby mamil.
  • meanredspider
    I went to public school

I knew it!

LMAO - how? :wink: Actually my brother refers to it as a publihensive as it was pretty low-rent in the grand scheme of things: mostly kids of service personnel posted abroad and expat employees: Nicaragua, Yemen & post-revolution Iran.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daviesee
    I went to public school

I knew it!
    Don't all English schoolboys?
    Silly stereotype I know but we all have them. :wink:
  • I thought the rules where there to make fun of people who actually did that stuff?

In this case, if this guy pulled up alongside me at the lights looking like that I'd be in awe. Anyone wearing less than me on a cold day gets my respect.
    Please pass on my congratulations. 8)
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    is he a German tourist or something?? whats with the socks pulled up to his knees?

pfft amateurs
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    mudcow007 wrote:
    whats with the socks pulled up to his knees?

To keep his legs warm.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    As a wearer of shorts year round I wholeheartedly support this enterprise and/or endeavour.

Some numpty decided it would be helpful to call me an idiot for wearing shorts on the commute last year whilst stopped at some lights. What a f**king twunt. He was told to mind his own business in the bluntest fashion I could manage. I may also have suggested that he exchange his tiny shrivelled balls for something larger and more masculine. He was slow too.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,575
    I've called people crazy at lights for being in shorts at inappropriate temperatures. All good natured. Never a tw@t.
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    Where are these rules?
  • MrSweary
    I've called people crazy at lights for being in shorts at inappropriate temperatures. All good natured. Never a tw@t.

I don't mind being called crazy if it is good natured - being called an idiot in an agressive manner is another matter.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • meanredspider
    Phil_D wrote:
    Where are these rules?

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    daviesee wrote:
    That is not hard. That is stupid. IMHO.
    Hard is when you get caught out and endure. Stupid is knowing it will be bad and still going out unprepared.
    It's true. Like a recount I read about the SAS being laughed at by another platoon for using Avon Skin So Soft and rotating their socks during missions. Guess who didn't get malaria and trench foot?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MrSweary wrote:
    As a wearer of shorts year round I wholeheartedly support this enterprise and/or endeavour.

Some numpty decided it would be helpful to call me an idiot for wearing shorts on the commute last year whilst stopped at some lights. What a f**king twunt. He was told to mind his own business in the bluntest fashion I could manage. I may also have suggested that he exchange his tiny shrivelled balls for something larger and more masculine. He was slow too.

You should post on the "Living up to your user name" thread!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Rolf F wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:

He does sound tired of the numpties.
    Mrs Weary indeed
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    ^^win
  • MrSweary
    dhope wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:

He does sound tired of the numpties.
    Mrs Weary indeed

Well, there are quite a lot of them... Also, already posted on the username thread to say what a waste of f@*#ing time it is. :wink:
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    For the record - my mate got caught out by how cold it was. He does cycle in less clothing than I would but he runs hot so needs less. That morning caught him completely by surprise but rather than back off he kept on until he got to work.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • daviesee
    For the record - my mate got caught out by how cold it was. He does cycle in less clothing than I would but he runs hot so needs less. That morning caught him completely by surprise but rather than back off he kept on until he got to work.
    Going back to my original post, the above = hard.
  • I went to public school
    <BR sab="1267"><BR sab="1268">I knew it!
    <BR sab="1269"><BR sab="1270">LMAO - how? :wink: Actually my brother refers to it as a publihensive as it was pretty low-rent in the grand scheme of things: mostly kids of service personnel posted abroad and expat employees: Nicaragua, Yemen & post-revolution Iran.

Oh I don't know, spelling, grammar and punctuation I suppose, and the deploying of words like tosh. Also, you refused to stoop to name-calling, which is such a common feature of online debates on a certain piece of headgear that shall not be mentioned for fear of triggering yet another tirade.