Angels with dirty faces

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited March 2013 in The cake stop
A 1938 film starring James Cagney.

He is a hardened criminal that is held in high esteem and respected for the hard-nut he is by streetg gang members. However (to cut it short) he ends up being sent to the chair. The local priest asks Cagney if he will on his walk to old sparkey turn yellow and act the coward in order to destroy his image in the eyes of those that held him up as a hero. And in doing so hopefully turn these lads away from crime and one possible outcome to their lives. Cagney refuses (IIRC) However on his last walk he does throw a wobbly and goes to his death pleading like a coward and a baby.

The thing is the viewer never knows whether this was an act or he genuinely did torn yellow.

The reason I've posted this is I've just finished reading "Slaying the Badger" the story of the 1986 TdF and the parralell I'm drawing is the one of did Henault genuinely help Lemond win as per his promise made twelve months previous or was it a case of Henault was just not strong enough to win anyway.

I believe it was a case of the latter, however, Henault's explanation is more than plausible so it's up to each reader to come to their own conclusion.

Anyone familiar with the story, what conclusion did you draw?
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    You've spoilt the ending for me now. Bollox ;)
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Soz.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • In the version I saw there were a couple of busty teens who couldn't afford to pay the rent to their landlord so offered payment in kind.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Anyone familiar with the story, what conclusion did you draw?
    Lemond came over as more paranoid than necessary and Hinault came over as trying to be "the bigger man" but failed.
    We will never know for sure.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Behavior

The behavior of badgers differs by family, but all shelter underground, living in burrows called setts, which may be very extensive. Some are solitary, moving from home to home, while others are known to form clans called cetes. Cete size is variable from two to fifteen. Badgers can be fierce animals and will protect themselves and their young at all costs, and are capable of fighting off much larger animals, such as wolves and bears. Badgers can run or gallop at 25–30 km/h (16–19 mph) for short periods of time. Badgers are nocturnal.[14]

In North America, coyotes sometimes eat badgers and vice versa, but the majority of their interactions seem to be mutual or neutral.[15] American badgers and coyotes have been seen hunting together in a cooperative fashion.[16]

Personally I think Bernie was a beaten man, no one cedes the TDF. and I cant see a French Guy giving any quarter to a Yank , even one called The World.

But as Wiki quote 15 says, American badgers and coyotes have been seen hunting together!
    Maybe American Glamours boys and French Badgers have collaborated too.

Then again Frank I ve been to Broxstowe those badgers wouldnt give you the steam of their Urine.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    It is "who is held in high regard", not "that is held in high regard".

Sorry, I woke up with a strong pendant tendency this morning. I'll be OK after another coffee.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Sorry Frank, I've no idea who Henault is/was so can't help out on that one.

But....

Angels with Dirty Faces. It's ages since I saw it, bit I think I remember the bit you were talking about. Didn't the Priest or someone else then tell the 'kids' that Cagny had gone to the chair like a man, and his act (if it was an act) was in vain?

The older I get, the better I was.

• Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Lucan2 wrote:

Sorry, I woke up with a strong pendant tendency this morning. I'll be OK after another coffee.

Really? What are you wearing, something delicate or a little more decadent?
  • Wunnunda
    Wunnunda Posts: 214
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Lucan2 wrote:

Really? What are you wearing, something delicate or a little more decadent?

...and which way does it swing? Both ways? :wink:
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    He was definitely a Sham