Bill Jinks Memorial RRs

nickel
nickel Posts: 476
edited March 2013 in Amateur race
Anyone else entered these?

I've entered the 3/4 and it'll be my first ever road race, just aiming to finish, if I can finish in the bunch I'll be well pleased.

Do any experienced racers have any nuggets of wisdom for a newb? In terms of cycling experience I've been riding with a club for about 18 months and am used to riding fast group rides and chaingangs.

Comments

• ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I’m in the 2/3 race. Third time I've done this one.

Be near the front for the last turn before the finish to be in with a chance. The finish is at the top of a hill that lots will misjudge and sprint too early on. I know because I've done this myself. Twice!

Good luck on Sunday.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Cheers! You too. I rode out and did a recce of the course last Saturday, weathers look bloody cold, and here was me thinking a few weeks back it'd easily be warm enough to race in shorts!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    What's the circuit like for this race? I saw it on the calendar and was thinking of entering next year if my early season form is better.
  • ju5t1n
    I just received this from the organiser....

Friday 22nd March 2013: 11:30am

There is currently lying snow in the race area, more forecast and freezing temperatures predicted overnight.

As a consequence the races may have to be cancelled.

A course inspection will take place tomorrow morning and a decision taken at that point as to whether the event can take place.

Status updates will be posted at

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... es#updates

Let's hope the weathermen are wrong (as usual),

Paul
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Pross wrote:
    What's the circuit like for this race? I saw it on the calendar and was thinking of entering next year if my early season form is better.

I did this last year, first race of the season. I think I got dropped with 2 to go after a school boy lone chase after the bunch split, I just about got our group back in with the first group at the bottom of the second hill which I then rapidly lost touch with on the way up!

I quite liked the course, lap of about 10k. Relatively flat but with two short stiff(ish) climbs that you need to be well positioned for. Sure others will be along and able to say more as I'm not local and don't really know the area.
  • ju5t1n
    This year’s race was cancelled because of the snow. BC website says it may be rearranged.