Freehub replacement

fill_uk
fill_uk Posts: 52
edited March 2013 in The workshop
Hi, im looking for some help.

The freehub on my GT Transeo 3.0 gave up this morning, the cassette turns but isn't turning the wheel. I wanted to have a go at this myself as the LBS cant do it for a week or so. I had a look at whats required and am happy with the work required i just cant find the part i need. The hub is just listed as All terra alloy, i think it's some kind of shimano compatible but i can find what its meant to be compatible with. Edinburgh cycles near work had an 8 speed hub but said its only for specific shimano hubs. Anyone got any ideas what i need to get?

Phil

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Best take the old one off 1st. If the pattern looks like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-550 ... ehub-body/

and takes a 10mm allen key, then I imagine something like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-c201rm4 ... ehub-body/

will be fine.
  • fill_uk
    To add to this just rang another LBS that has a good reputation and they asked what make the hub was and told me i'll be needing a new wheel, only shimano and other 'high end' manufacturers produce spares for hubs. they said they'll have a look to confirm at least so i'm taking it tomorrow. Does this sound right to anyone?

If i need a new wheel im slightly gutted as money is tight and i was planning on saving for a better bike than lavishing money on this one.
  • Anonymous
    I have dismanted 3 shimano hubs recently to steal/replace freehubs so it definitely can be done (assuming it is a shimano branded hub - not just a shimano fitting)

Best bet would to send some photos of the hub/freehub - or compare to the ones I have posted above - If it looks like the ones in those above links, then it it certainly replaceable (I have just done it with mine!).

There are a load of different hubs with varying freehub fittings so in some cases, replacement freehubs may not be attainable.

What you tend not to be able to do is service the freehub itself (exceptions apply).

What wheels came on the bike (full details if you have them!)
  • Anonymous
    fill_uk wrote:
    Only shimano and other 'high end' manufacturers produce spares for hubs. they said they'll have a look to confirm at least so i'm taking it tomorrow. Does this sound right to anyone?

Following from the above, that sounds kind of right, unless you can get your hands on the same hub from another bike which has been broken (wheel destroyed in pothole etc)

You can get a perfectly reasonable set of wheels (shimano 501) for about 75 apparently from Ribble if desperate.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... himwhfr203

Shame the round spoked ones are out of stock...
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... himwhfr202
  • fill_uk
    Cheers for that, i'm taking into a bike shop near work the one that said i'd need a wheel. He is at least going to have a look at it so ill see what he says. I'll get him to leave the cassette off so i can see get a closer look at the freehub body if they cant do anything and compare it to the ones in your link.

If i have to i'll cut my losses and get the cheapest wheel i can that has a serviceable/replaceable hub.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All Terra are very likely to be rebranded Formula or Joytech hubs. Still could be a few varieties, but may narrow it down a bit and is something to look for if the shop has any knocking about.
  • fill_uk
    In the end the hub had no name on it or anything. Could have had a new wheel for about 40 quid which also has a hub that cant be fixed so they are rebuilding my wheel with a better hub than can be serviced using my current rim which is in good condition and they said is better than the rim on the cheap wheel. Costing about £55 but hopefully next time it wears out it can be easily replaced.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    all freehubs can be replaced.

but more often than not, 1 the shop cant be arsed to find out what the hub is and ID the correct freehub. and 2 the importers dont bother to stock the spares.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Dirty-Boy
    Dirty-Boy Posts: 47
    "1 the shop cant be arsed to find out what the hub is and ID the correct freehub"

Bit harsh, it's more that the time it takes to source the part is ridiculous, then only to realize it's either unavailable or more expensive than getting a new wheel. Seems more logical to sell a wheel with a Shimano hub, which most bike shops will have in stock ready to go, and will be more reliable than fixing their cheap brandless hub.