Wheelset for Winter Build

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
Apologies for another "Which Wheels?" thread.

Almost finished assembling the components for my build of a bike for next winter.

The dilemma now is over the purchase of a suitable wheelset. Don't want to spend megabucks (less than £120 if possible) but at the same time I want something that will be robust and trouble free when riding in the wet and crappy conditions such as I've experienced over the months just gone. Also need a reasonable spoke count as I'm not the lightest of riders (~86kg)

Have been looking at the following options

Shimano R501
Alex 28rims/ Formula Hubs
Mavic CXP22 rims/ One23 hubs
Supra RA24
Miche Excite

Any thoughts on the above re durability/ serviceability?

Any other suggestions for consideration.

BTW I'm keeping a close eye on the classifieds also to see if I can get something better for 2nd-hand money

Comments

• racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I'd go with the CPX22's but I think your problem at that price will be getting hubs that have the waterproofing required. If you can I'd stick to DT, Shimano, Campagnolo or Miche hubs as they all have proven all weather survivability (most of them weight a lot but for this use I wouldn't go anywhere else).

Unfortunately the DT 370 seems to be long gone now so assuming your Shimano I'd look at Tiagra.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    I'd go with the CPX22's but I think your problem at that price will be getting hubs that have the waterproofing required. If you can I'd stick to DT, Shimano, Campagnolo or Miche hubs as they all have proven all weather survivability (most of them weight a lot but for this use I wouldn't go anywhere else).

Unfortunately the DT 370 seems to be long gone now so assuming your Shimano I'd look at Tiagra.

Mmmh, don't think anyone can hit that price target, not even with Tiagra hubs, not even for Arlowood, who is an old friend... :D
    if that is the budget, it has to be second hand or a cheap factory set with all the drawbacks
    left the forum March 2023
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I,ve used shimano 501 all winter and found them to be very good.for under £100 you cant go wrong and they look good aswel (to me).
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Not many bargains on ebay now - but with about 9 months until next winter, you'll probably pick up a bargain if you keep checking and bid with a bit of nous (unwanted wheels off of a new bike etc).
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561

Mmmh, don't think anyone can hit that price target, not even with Tiagra hubs, not even for Arlowood, who is an old friend... :D
    if that is the budget, it has to be second hand or a cheap factory set with all the drawbacks

Hi Ugo

Yes I'd really like to be able to justify a much bigger budget. However I'm struggling to do it for a winter bike that will be ridden less frequently and also in bad weather/road conditions.

Missed out on a set of Planet X A57 Pro 32 last week in the classifieds. Was on holiday and reluctant to use a PC where I couldn't guarantee the security level to make the purchase. By the time I got home they had sold.

I agree that a good 2nd hand set is probably the way to go so i will keep trawling.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I am heavier than you OP and my mavic cxp wheels with cheap hubs have done over 3000+ miles with no adjustment needed, I am as happy with them as I am with £400+ wheelsets.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Chap in the classifieds selling a pair of RS10's with tyres at the mo. £85 delivered I think I read. Brand new, taken off a 'Dale Slice...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    A set of Miche wheels will serve you well. They can be had for £120. Handbuilds for this money are going to use parts that are not worthy of a bike. At least with the Miche wheels you get Miche hubs.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    For £171 these Open Pro on 105 can be had http://www.rutlandcycling.com/23364/Pro ... --32H.html. One of my riding partners has a set from last year but with Open Sport that he got for about the £120 from them and built well (Had spoke tension checked at LBS who could not beat price)

I don't think you will get to £120 without a special offer for anything decent will you ?
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The is now an 11 speed Miche HG freehub as well so the miche wheels do all that shimano ones do as well.

I am not sure how anyone can build a set of open Pro's on 105 hubs for £171.

It is doable to hand build wheels for this money the rutland do them for but only with ACI plain gauge spokes. Ugo uses DT Swiss, I se Sapim and both of us would not use plain gauge spokes in this type of road build, this put up the price but you get a better build.

Even if I used ACI spokes I would not be able to match Rutlands price, well I could but the margins would be low nad that is not beacuse they by at a better price than me - both of s probably by at the same price. It just that I will spend longer on the build and so wold go no doubt from his posts than Rutland would. While Rutland wheels would work you do get what you pay for within reason. A cheap like that will have a comprimise in it some where it is the spokes and the time spend on the wheel getting even tension and stress relieving.

I am not trying to put anyone off buying Rutlands wheels as they are cheap I do think though everyone should be aware of what they are buying. A race to the bottom is the problem with the internet, it is also a bonus as my business would collapse without it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    The RRP of the parts in a Open PRO + 105 + ACI build is around 170... basically Rutland Cycles cuts off labour and delivery charges, which typically add up to 55-60 pounds. That can be done in "Planet X" style, by sourcing components in big loads from the manufacturers at very low cost bypassing distribution or it can be done if you have a bunch of underused mechanics who hang around picking their noses and generally not doing much... but these days the latter scenario is quite rare given how profit margins have been shaved in the industry and how lean payrolls are.
    If they manage it is obviously good for them, I do build at zero profit for a restricted number of long time friends who used to ride my wheels even when they were "experimental", but in the real world going below a decent return for your investment of time and effort is an incentive to do things superficially.
    I think there has to be a balance between ripping off people as some do and shaving off any margin out of a business to the point where you can't even take pride in what you make...
    Bit off topic... I know...
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I should have been more specific (blunt).

At that price I think you risk false economy as the hubs will probably die to salty road grit, up the price until you can get something with Tiagra or any of the other cheap durable hubs I mentioned and you should have something that lasts years with 1 or 2 services a year (very easy on Shimano cup and cone). Something like the £170 105/Open Pro build would be excellent though if you can stretch to it.

I don't have a problem with Planet X wheels but I'd advise against them for a winter build. As a rule they run light on spokes and the hubs, while good don't have the waterproofing for the worst the UK will throw at them. What they do though (cheap, light wheels) they do very well.
  • russello
    russello Posts: 102
    arlorwood,

pm'd you re: some Shimano r500, identical to these.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uHDyXwlFIKU/U ... 0Blade.JPG
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I've just picked up a set of hand-built winter wheels from a respected wheelbuilder for less than £160: Ambrosio Evolution rims, Shimano 105 hubs. I believe the spokes are ACI double butted with brass nipples. (Can't believe how inexpensive they were!). Not the lightest wheels, but should be ideal for my winter/wet bike. I also considered another set of factory wheels (had Aksiums that I had to bin after 4500mi due to rim wear), but think I made the smart choice on getting something that will be durable and maintainable. If you're already thinking of spending £120 on factory wheels, it isn't much of a stretch to get really good winter wheels hand-built that will be more economical in the long run.
  • ugo.santalucia
    bobones wrote:
    I've just picked up a set of hand-built winter wheels from a respected wheelbuilder for less than £160: Ambrosio Evolution rims, Shimano 105 hubs. I believe the spokes are ACI double butted with brass nipples. (Can't believe how inexpensive they were!). Not the lightest wheels, but should be ideal for my winter/wet bike. I also considered another set of factory wheels (had Aksiums that I had to bin after 4500mi due to rim wear), but think I made the smart choice on getting something that will be durable and maintainable. If you're already thinking of spending £120 on factory wheels, it isn't much of a stretch to get really good winter wheels hand-built that will be more economical in the long run.

For winter these Evolution are totally appropriate... thick walls with a very visible and clear wear track and much deeper grooves than lighter rims.
    I have enough exploded Mavic rims with no wear indicators in my back garden