New tyres for 5 days in Mallorca (and UK on return)

galatzo
galatzo Posts: 1,295
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
Off to Mallorca next week and need some new tyres

All prices per pair

Vittoria Open Corsa Evo £49.50 Used a few times and are lovely but worried about durabillity when I get back compared to the others
Conti GP4000s £52 - Never tried and concerned grip may not be as good as others but sure they'll last longer
Michelin Pro 4 Race £46 - Current pair have 2000miles on and are a bit square with a few cuts
Mavic Yksion £54 - Never used but will match my Ksyrium SRs !

Not used the Contis before but heard good things so willing to give them a try.

Off for a ride now - Let me know what to order when I get back !

Cheers
25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Depending on your arrival schedule there is a bike hire company that sell their branded GP4000s cheap.
    I can't remember - Swiss/Germanish. Someone here will know.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Vittoria Open Corsa Evo
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Vittoria Open Corsa Evo

+1 . You can find them for £28 if you look on the net.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Conti GP's for me but think you can find both the Vittoria & Conti's online for about the same deals. Have raced on mine and never had an issue with grip but never tried the others so can't comment if they are better.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Pro 4. Best tyre on the market. In a pinch I'll use the Contis, but I always go back to the French.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I have no issues with grip regards to the continental gps.They are also pretty hard wearing 1500 miles with one puncture. The Mavic tyres mate very well with the Mavic SLR wheelset - the ride is less harsh than the continentals with an equivalent wheelset, in addition the grip appears to be very good - although the bike (supersix evo) handles beautifully.

This may help:
    795 reviews 4.8/5.0 average review:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gra ... road-tyre/
    155 reviews 4.4/5.0 average review:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-open-c ... cher-tyre/
  • galatzo
    Thanks for all the replies fellas.

Swaying back to Pro4s again - cheapest, use to them and 2000 miles on the last pair isn't too bad really. Had them more than any other tyres.

Mavics - Nice to have a matching set I suppose - not sure on how they perform compared to the others

Open Corsa's - Durabillity is main concern going into summer and mileage going up I think I'll need a new pair in 2mths

Contis - My impression is that they will wear very well but won't grip like the Pro4s, but the average rating on wiggle for how many reviews there has been is very impressive 4.8/5 from 795 reviews

It's all in the mind really at my level really, differences are negligable, your always gonna get puctures - I'll get the kids to choose for me :lol:
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    If you ride Open Corsa's with latex tubes on the roads of Mallorca you'll be in heaven.

GP4000s tyres will do the job - but they won't feel (or sound for that matter) like an Open Corsa.

As for durability – you’ll get way more than a couple of months out of them. I’m still running my front from 2011.
  • galatzo
    Gone for the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX's, £49.50 a pair at Merlin.
    Not sure they'll last as long as some of the others but hey it's nearly summer isn't it ?
    This time next week I'll be crawling up Sa Calobra :D

Now, latex tubes ? worth the hassle ? cheapest place ? do you have to pump them up during a ride if out all day ? will they really make that much difference ?

Cheers
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Personal preference but Conti GP4000s for me.

Use them for training and all Sportives including Marmotte etc, and been brilliant.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    Galatzo wrote:
    Gone for the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX's, £49.50 a pair at Merlin.
    Not sure they'll last as long as some of the others but hey it's nearly summer isn't it ?
    This time next week I'll be crawling up Sa Calobra :D

Now, latex tubes ? worth the hassle ? cheapest place ? do you have to pump them up during a ride if out all day ? will they really make that much difference ?

Cheers

You don't have to pump them up during a ride. Pump in the morning (matron) and ride all day. Top up the next morning. IMO that's not any more hassle than standard tubes. I check the pressure before every ride anyway.

Open Corsa + latex tube is a close to a tubular feel as you can get with clinchers. Do it! ;-)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I'm there at the same time, i'm taking 4000s, ZXs and perhaps some challenge forte and maybe even some open corsa too, i'm looking to try out tyres for this years Marmotte

Look about for the two MAMILs one on a cervelo R3 and the other one a Ribble sportive, usually to be found in or near a bar :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Just put attack / Force on my bike ready for Mallorca next month (Easton lightweight climbing wheels)

How do they compare to the Open Corsa's, which I have on the cosmics that are coming off for the cimbing wheels...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    damn it yes I have attack force on my ultra light wheels I forgot those, yes they'll be in the box as well.

i have too much kit :oops:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • galatzo
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm there at the same time, i'm taking 4000s, ZXs and perhaps some challenge forte and maybe even some open corsa too, i'm looking to try out tyres for this years Marmotte

Look about for the two MAMILs one on a cervelo R3 and the other one a Ribble sportive, usually to be found in or near a bar :wink:

Ha, I never considered just buying all the tyres on my shortlist !

3 of us, me on a blue Cinelli, 1 on a hired Canyon and 1 on his own white Canyon although from what mallorca jeff says there's thousands of riders out there so unlikely we'll run in to each other.

Have a good time though.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Max Huerzeler are the swiss/german company. Shops all over the island,certainly in C'an Pastilla where we stay. They hire out Cube bikes.Their shops have some very nice gear in aswell from there own makes up to Asoss. Usually with workshops attached for tubes tyres etc. If you should go over the Col de soler to Soler sit in the square and get one of the local meat pies from the shop on the corner. Don't know what the meat is but boy are they tasty!!Have a good break.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Max hurzelur is where i buy my tyres. Gp4000s and they are 25 euro each £20. Continental tubes long valve 7 euros for two. Quite a few shops about. If you want help give me a shout. And as for spotting people good luck. There is millions of the, here at the mo even im getting pissed off with em want my roads back. If uou see a fat bloke charging round the north on a scott that will be me.