Specialized Secteur Disc for commuting instead of CX bike

small_bloke
small_bloke Posts: 222
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
Wondering if anyone has this bike?

image_zps75741f41.jpg

Was looking for a commuter road bike. This sounded good with 28mm tyres and disc brakes. Bloke at bike shop told me about this when I went in looking for CX bike sub £1000 on Cyclescheme.

I like this because its probably lighter than a CX and almost quick as a road bike so would be useful on wet club runs too.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec042263

Mainly using as a commuter though with rack and mudguards. My panniers are around 10-12kg some days.

Comments

• Sounds like a much better option than a CX bike. I never really got the whole CX as commuter fad, I have to admit.
    Secteur's are solid. My ex colleague had one and rated it for a 6m each way London commute.
    Your other options would be a tourer / winter trainer type. Tourers might be worth a look...
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The disc location would probably require a special disc-compatable rack which is about 2" wider. If speed is your aim, then 2" of width in the panniers is a considerable aerodynamic drag that is not necessary. Otherwise, sounds like a nifty commuter bike.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Sounds like a much better option than a CX bike. I never really got the whole CX as commuter fad, I have to admit.
    Secteur's are solid. My ex colleague had one and rated it for a 6m each way London commute.
    Your other options would be a tourer / winter trainer type. Tourers might be worth a look...

CX sounds like a much better option than a racing bike. I never really got the whole racer as commuter fad, I have to admit :wink:

Objectively a cyclocross bike is a more versatile option for commuting and will be typically just as fast. Depending on where and when you ride, room for wider tyres and mudguards is a bonus. Certain people will never understand the benefits of fast wider (than 23mm-28mm) tyres (e.g. 700x35mm Marathon Racers, Kojaks etc...) on sh*t roads because their bikes can't accommodate them. It's like living in a Matrix :)
  • Courage Monsieur
    Courage Monsieur Posts: 534
    edited March 2013
    But he wants it for club runs too. Hence I'd say this is better than CX. A roadbike was never in the picture - this thing has wide tyres and can take guards.

Much depends on the route I guess, for commuting I leave the roadbike in the shed and use a hybrid, which I thought would be a great fast commuter, turns out it was a bytch getting guards on it :roll: ...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,173
    Yes... I mean... YES!!!
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    So apart from the reduced rear wheel tyre clearance, the difference between this an a CX bike is what? Lack of mudguard eyes and seatstay mounted rear brake make this commuter-unfriendly IMO
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I have one, and I prefer riding this in London to my PX Pro Carbon! The brakes make such a difference on the commute.
  • Nah, you want one of these http://road.cc/content/news/65190-eurob ... cross-bike

They should be in by the end of next month.
  • olivierd
    olivierd Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I've ordered this one too - must be here in 2 weeks. For your information, I've been told by Specialized 's @themasterlink that the tire clearance is 38mm with fenders, and 42mm to 45mm depending on the tire without fenders. I guess this makes this bike a highly versatile commuter/allrounder, which makes me choose it.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    My panniers are around 10-12kg some days

with what? :roll:

Clothes at work. Dropbox for any files you need to work on at home. What do you need?

Boardman disc CX bike is similar.

Boardman_CX_Team_xl.jpg
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer