U2

finchy
finchy Posts: 6,686
edited March 2013 in The bottom bracket
It's been a long time since anyone mentioned U2 on these pages, so I thought I'd remind you all that U2 are shite and Bono is a bell-end. Just in case anyone had forgotten.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I had happily forgotten but now you've went and reminded me of his presence.
    Thank you. Thank you very much*. :evil:

*Replace "thank" with another word. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Just think of the increase in 'interest' in 3 years time when they celebrate

40 years

The edge? Over the edge :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    What's the difference between Bono and God?

God dos'nt walk down the street thinking he's Bono. :lol:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    johnfinch wrote:
    It's been a long time since anyone mentioned U2 on these pages, so I thought I'd remind you all that U2 are shite and Bono is a bell-end. Just in case anyone had forgotten.
    Concur.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    You must acknowledge that U2 have made a serious and significant contribution to the world of rock music and surely agree that Bono himself is a cultural icon who has done more to raise human consciousness than any other being on the planet?

I don't think any of that but just wanted to make a contrary point - must be a Tuesday......
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    It's funny how what was once fresh, innovative, bold and daring becomes repetitive bombastic claptrap over the years.... so maybe it's time to call it a day and stop all the tedious U2-bashing threads.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    They took a lot of stick when a young lad from San Francisco valley asked them if they wanted to invest in a website where people could chat and meet others using pictures instead of words.
    Living MY dream.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    .....and hat a stupid idea that was....

In fact their name should be You too - or possibly you to and not you two. I think that the Army should run all groups and X Facror because the Army has professional musicians and would therefore do it much better. They would improve the spelling immeasurably too which would be a bonus!
  • VTech
    Lagrange wrote:

In fact their name should be You too - or possibly you to and not you two. I think that the Army should run all groups and X Facror because the Army has professional musicians and would therefore do it much better. They would improve the spelling immeasurably too which would be a bonus!

They invested $500,000 into facebook when it was a fledgeling company and when they sold their shares in the floatation they got $1,450,000,000 or £868,000,000 making them the richest pop stars on earth.
    Living MY dream.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Lagrange wrote:

Mmmm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,221
    VTech wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

They invested $500,000 into facebook when it was a fledgeling company and when they sold their shares in the floatation they got $1,450,000,000 or £868,000,000 making them the richest pop stars on earth.

Excellent, so Bono has presumably practiced what he likes to preach and donated it to ending world poverty whilst continuing to live a modest lifestyle? Much better than expecting the struggling tax payers of the world to fund ending poverty via their Governments - he has gone up in my estimation.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Pross wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

Excellent, so Bono has presumably practiced what he likes to preach and donated it to ending world poverty whilst continuing to live a modest lifestyle? Much better than expecting the struggling tax payers of the world to fund ending poverty via their Governments - he has gone up in my estimation.
    Like yourself (I assume) I don't actually recall reading that anywhere or indeed seeing it on any news bulletins. And I'm sure had Bono made such a phillanthopic gesture he'd have let everyone know. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • VTech
    Pross wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

Like yourself (I assume) I don't actually recall reading that anywhere or indeed seeing it on any news bulletins. And I'm sure had Bono made such a phillanthopic gesture he'd have let everyone know. :wink:

Well, I wouldnt want to speculate but the money was not banked in ireland as he would have been liable to 53% duty on the windfall.
    Im not sure where it was banked but would probably be in Belize as almost all directors, pop stars and sportsmen bank these days.
    Living MY dream.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    One of the best bands I have ever seen. It was about 1985 mind you.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I liked them back in the day. Some good albums in a time of fairly poor alternatives and always great live.

But it's strange they're still even mentioned seeing as they've done nothing but moan for the last 20 years. A handful of albums which would never have been released if they were a new band.

Paul McCartney similar.
    exercise.png
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Pross wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

If you were a hat would this do - http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... r-hat.html :D
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • VTech
    I see people sown vast fortunes on a weekly basis and when friends ask me why they do it, there is only one answer.

"Because they can"
    Living MY dream.
  • dmclite-3.0
    dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
    I like them.

Saw them in 1992 I think on the Zootv tour.

Also think the album Unforgettable fire is very good. Live at Red Rocks is also good.

Cat Deeley gets on well with them, think she has been to Edge's house for a BBQ in the past.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    They were good when they started - I remember voting on the dave fanning show as to what songs they should have on their first ep - but after Boy, it all went down hill :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Like most "Big" acts, they are good right up to the point where the egos take over.
    I concur that the descent started after the commercial success of Boy. Although there was some good stuff after that it was diminishing and is now long gone.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Call for Mr. bono -Mr. sting- Mr. meatloaf- Mr. edge, how daft!!! any more you can think of?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pross wrote:

To be fair, he's probably just aiming to out hypocrite John Lennon. That's not going to be easy :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • VTech
    2010 figures show that bono's "one" foundation charity took in £9,600,000 in donations yet paid out only £118,000 in handouts (1.2%)

He also apparently refused a seat at Bill Gates' philanthropy table in 2011.

Bill Gates has not been seen at the top of the worlds richest table for 4 years and this is due to the fact that he only takes a menial wage of $1m per year but gives over $700m a year to good causes and other charities.
    Others in the club are Mark Zuckerman and Warren Buffet.
    Living MY dream.
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    bompington wrote:
    It's funny how what was once fresh, innovative, bold and daring becomes repetitive bombastic claptrap over the years....

Sums U2 up perfectly. Went pear shaped after Achtung Baby and Bono finally managed to crawl all the way up his own @rsehole.

ps saw em live on the Unforgettable Fire tour and they were epic and Wide Awake in America is one of my favourite EP's so a reasonably balanced slagging off :D
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    More of a Smiths fan myself. I detest bands such as the Rolling Stones who just won't go away, they look so decrepid.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • VTech
    My second favourite painting of all time.

Sebastian_Kruger_Mojo_Man.jpg
    Living MY dream.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    VTech wrote:

Nice artwork. Epitomises a lifetime's love of music. Time for the old rock and roller to rest his weary bones...
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • VTech
    VTech wrote:

Nice artwork. Epitomises a lifetime's love of music. Time for the old rock and roller to rest his weary bones...

You Da Man !!!!
    Do you write in your work life ?
    Living MY dream.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,221
    Isn't Bono also a good mate of 'He Who Must Not Be Named'? Hopefully he will go the same way!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Canny lad wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    It's funny how what was once fresh, innovative, bold and daring becomes repetitive bombastic claptrap over the years....

Sums U2 up perfectly. Went pear shaped after Achtung Baby and Bono finally managed to crawl all the way up his own..
    WHOOSH. You could try quoting the second part of my post too, it might help you get the point...