Coping with Smartphone addiction

portland_bill
portland_bill Posts: 287
edited March 2013 in The hub
Morning all!

Not sure I'd really call it Smartphone addiction, but sometimes it certainly feels like it.

I'm thinking about going back to having a non-smartphone. My iPhone rarely leaves my sight and my wife is convinced I'm talking to the rest of my imaginary harem when usually I'm either on Facebook or just reading about random stuff. The last few days for instance, I watched a video on Facebook the other day about malpractice in abattoirs which I found pretty disturbing and I've since been reading up on a lot of stuff to do with it. Anyway, I digress, justified or not I admit that I do spend a lot of time staring into my iPhone and I'm considering getting rid of it and going back to a normal phone.

I guess part of the problem is I use my phone for so many different things now it could be a genuine struggle. I use it for mapping my bike rides, monitoring my training on my indoor trainer, monitoring my running, listening to music (everywhere), reading the news and books, calendar, calculator, navigation...

Have I completely lost the plot or am I onto something here? If I did go back to a normal phone, I'd want something as small and light as a Nokia 8210 (best normal phone that I ever had!) but I just don't know if it's a good idea or not.

What say you lot?

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Yes they are addictive & I found myself using my iPhone far too much when I first had mine. As for what you would do if you replaced it though, would you not then just use a laptop to check the same things?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Probably, but I'd be less likely to do it as much since my laptop isn't as handy as just whipping my phone out of my pocket every two seconds. Should also point out I've had an iPhone since they first came out so it's unlikely to be the novelty factor either.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Being a geek me too on the Iphone, now on my forth.

I guess on a more sensible note I noticed myself playing with the damn thing all the time. But now I feel a lot more sensible about using it as the other half got a bit pee'd off with me.

You could always think of it another way if it were someone else would you be unhappy with them using their phone as much, say for instance your other half?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    It is not the phone that is addictive - addiction is within your makeup. My suggestion for you to solve the matter is for you to ditch the phone and take up crack cocaine.
  • shdaxner
    shdaxner Posts: 249
    Nah, i don't see it as an addiction to me that is efficiency right there...... if you didn't us the phone for all said functions then you would have to go to the shop for a paper once a day, carry a diary round with you all the time, and have a calendar at home/work, have to set your alarm clock on a night time, have to ensure that whenever you may stumble across the sort of mathematics that makes most peoples eyes water you are carrying a calculator, have an almighty bookshelf filled with leather bound books which when you want one specific book.....you cant find it. etc. etc.

Sounds like a nightmare to me :wink: