Titanium Chain

goonz
goonz Posts: 3,106
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
Morning all

I wanted to know whether there are any Ti chains out there? If so are they worth it and what sort of price would I likely pay?
Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
Specialized Langster SS for Ease
Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
n+1 is well and truly on track
Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I don't know of any on the market (those that are marketed as Ti are simply coated), but it strikes me as a bad idea and waste of cash. Most you would save is 20 grams give or take and would probably cost well over 100 quid.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • goonz
    I guess coated would be ok?

My reasoning is not for weight saving, but for maintenance and ease of use. The lack of rusting for a start and perhaps even less need to lube and clean the chain?
  • Grill
    Rust? What are you doing with your chain? Most are nickel plated which doesn't rust. I've put a few thousand miles on my bikes this winter with no rust issues even though I never clean my bikes. Just use a good ceramic lube and you'll be good to go.
  • goonz
    Really? Mine is showing signs of rust after a heavy year of use, although in that time I have washed my bike a few times and fully removed and cleaned the chain once too. I lube it fairly regular hopwever still appear signs of rust on it.
  • Grill
    I don't think the Tiagra chain (S20) is plated. Pick up a DA or KMC chain.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    goonz wrote:
    Really? Mine is showing signs of rust after a heavy year of use, although in that time I have washed my bike a few times and fully removed and cleaned the chain once too. I lube it fairly regular hopwever still appear signs of rust on it.

A year of use? I change mine at least twice a year on my winter road bike, summer road bike, commuter and MTB!

Also, you need to clean your chain and lube it after most rides. It shouldn't rust very much at all.

Avoid titanium - bad idea. Stick to regular chains; I like KMC.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Connex do a titanium chain, expect to pay around 250.

For ease of use and lack of rust get a kmc rustbuster chain or the connex rust buster ones, the galvanised chains simply don't rust.

Far better durability than the nickel plated chains which do rust if you're not fastidious with the lubing. The gold kmc one seems to be a bit better than the plain nickel ones but nowhere near as good as the proper galvanised chains.

Unfortunately I don't think kmc or connex do a glavanised 10 speed chain though. So you're either looking at go back to 9 speed or run a gold kmc.
  • goonz
    Grill wrote:

I thought S20 was 105? All my other parts are 105 apart from my brakes which I upgraded from standard Shimanos.
  • goonz
    Connex do a titanium chain, expect to pay around 250.

For ease of use and lack of rust get a kmc rustbuster chain or the connex rust buster ones, the galvanised chains simply don't rust.

Far better durability than the nickel plated chains which do rust if you're not fastidious with the lubing. The gold kmc one seems to be a bit better than the plain nickel ones but nowhere near as good as the proper galvanised chains.

Unfortunately I don't think kmc or connex do a glavanised 10 speed chain though. So you're either looking at go back to 9 speed or run a gold kmc.

I wasn't looking to pay that much for a chain lol! I'll check whether those brands make a galvanised 10 sp chain otherwise I may have to simply replace this one with a like for like.
  • Grill
    goonz wrote:
    Grill wrote:

I thought S20 was 105? All my other parts are 105 apart from my brakes which I upgraded from standard Shimanos.

Nope, Tiagra chain to save a bit of cash. It's not uncommon as my Plasma 10 came with full DA except for the Ultegra cassette.

Get yourself a DA7900 chain. Smooth as butter and I got close to 5k miles out of my last one. Just make absolutely certain you install it the correct way round.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    Just get an old chain rag, spray it with gt85 and rub it over the chain once you've cleaned the bike.

And to be honest, a bit of surface rust after its been wet is no great shakes, just bung a bit of lube on and I'd be surprised if you noticed any difference.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    About to buy a chain for my 'race' wheelset, going to be paired with an ultegra cassette.

Any reason not to go for an ultegra 6701 chain? I've just put one of these on the 'every day' wheelset and at only £20, seems a bargain!?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-ultegra ... 116-links/
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    And the 105 5700 chain is only £16. That is a bargain too!
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    From years of trying different brands of chain on my MTB I'd say go KMC every time! I've found the X10L Gold to be the best balance of performance/weight/cost (and I quite like the gold bling ;-) )
  • goonz
    The KMC X10 silver is £15 on planet X bikes, should I pull the trigger?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Steal, I'm gonna!
  • goonz
    Brilliant, done!
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    KMC X10.93 are not coated they do rust. I got one and it has rust on it >.<
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • goonz
    I did notice that, but at £15 I guess its not bad as a simple replacement for mine once it requires replacement anyway...
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    warrerj wrote:
    From years of trying different brands of chain on my MTB I'd say go KMC every time! I've found the X10L Gold to be the best balance of performance/weight/cost (and I quite like the gold bling ;-) )

Agreed - KMC all the way. Remember to clean & oil it is all!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Titanium is a very abrasive metal; even if lubed well, a Ti chain eats through Aluminium sprockets and chain rings in no time at all.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • ricky1980
    try ebay there are a lot of KMC X10L or SL chains available from Taiwan that beats any retail price here in UK
  • goonz
    ricky1980 wrote:
    try ebay there are a lot of KMC X10L or SL chains available from Taiwan that beats any retail price here in UK

Thanks, though I should ask...All legit?
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    passout wrote:
    goonz wrote:

A year of use? I change mine at least twice a year on my winter road bike, summer road bike, commuter and MTB!

Also, you need to clean your chain and lube it after most rides. It shouldn't rust very much at all.

Avoid titanium - bad idea. Stick to regular chains; I like KMC.

Yep totally agree, buy yourself a Park tool chain checking, your chain will need changing around every 2000 miles and if left will ruin your cassette and eventually your rings.
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Velonutter wrote:
    Yep totally agree, buy yourself a Park tool chain checking, your chain will need changing around every 2000 miles and if left will ruin your cassette and eventually your rings.
    2000miles??? I get about that out of the KMC on my MTB! The stock shimano that came on my road bike has done double that so far and is still fine.
    Maybe you need to rethink your chain care ideas?
  • ricky1980
    goonz wrote:
    ricky1980 wrote:

Thanks, though I should ask...All legit?
    yep
  • Velonutter
    warrerj wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:
    2000miles??? I get about that out of the KMC on my MTB! The stock shimano that came on my road bike has done double that so far and is still fine.
    Maybe you need to rethink your chain care ideas?

My chains are cleaned spotless after every ride, then dried, re-lubed and left over night to settle in.

If they get really dirty then I degrease using a Park tool chain cleaner with degreasing solution.

If you used a proper chain checker, then I'm sure you will struggle to get more than 2000 miles per chain. As soon as mine get to 75% then get binned.
  • goonz
    I think me cleaning after every ride would get difficult as I commute daily. I do think I need to replace the chain from what I am understanding.

Q. Can I get a quick release chain for a 10 sp?
  • Velonutter
    I ride 5-7 times a week, so just do your chain every night unless your commute is just 5-10 miles each way.

I rarely remove my chain, but if so then fit a KMC quick link, takes 2 secs to remove and refit, I also always carry spare in my saddle bag and it has got me out of trouble when a chain snapped a few summers ago.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    Hmmm, 2000 miles? On the winter bike maybe if used in all weathers - the summer bike has done way more than that!

But, admittedly my pitiful power output isn't likely to ever stretch a chain...