Yet Another Newbie..... 1st Bike required

Ciddy
Ciddy Posts: 3
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon All,

You guys must get bored of answering these types of posts but I'm going to ask anyway.

Having had to give up football last year (me knees are not what they used to be), I'm looking into riding to get my fitness levels back up as it's amazing just how quickly it seems to drop as soon as stop. Having spent the last month or so buying magazines and reading up online to try to come to terms with phrases and what I should be looking out for on a bike I finally think I'm ready to pull the trigger and get started. I've got about £900-£1100 to spend (just the bike).

I'm looking for a Hardtail and have so far been to look at the Boardman Pro (http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/ht_pro.html) at Halfords. Checking my lbs I'm able to look at a few Cube bikes of which this one interests me ( http://www.cube.eu/en/hard/cross-country/ltd-race-29/ ). Also able to look at the full range of Trek (but they don't seem to be very well thought of for some reason) and also full range of Specialized bikes. Going a little further means I can view Scott and Giant but these are about an hour or so away from me so if I can get more local that would be good. I don't mind ordering online only bikes if there is something similar I can try elsewhere.....

In terms of what I'm looking for, I'll be starting with a friend who is also new (we've not ridden for some 15 years) around some local XC routes. We've both agreed that we'd rather spend a little more so that once we have a little more experience the bikes can handle having a bit more thrown at them. We're not bothered about 26" or 29" right now so suggestions would be very much appreciated and then we can get out and test ride some to see what suits us best.

Hope that hasn't bored anyone too much and you can offer some advice to help out what is quite a daunting topic when starting fresh.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Consider also Canyons, online only but excellent value for money.

Nothing much wrong with Treks, but like Spesh and Giant, their low end offerings are dreadful value.

Another to consider is Decathlon bikes if you have a store need you, not sure if they have a £1000 offering right now though as last time I'd looked they had dropped their race replica.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ciddy
    Ciddy Posts: 3
    Thanks mate, i'd not looked at Canyons. I'll check them out tonight.