Fiddling with my Charge Scourer

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited March 2013 in Commuting general
Please excuse the silly questions but I have just started commuting 3 weeks ago on my Scourer and am looking for ways to improve the bike. I already know I need to cut the bars down, I am finding 680mm too wide for London traffic. From what I have found out the best way to do this is with a pipe cutting tool. Next on my list are the tyres- currently wome conti contact 700c 32's with a lot of tread. My rims are Alex DP17 so I am thinking that I could go down to a 25 at a minimum but that a 28 may be best. What do people recommend for a hardy tyre with a bit more speed?

Also, the bike has mechanical disc brakes but I am not sure I like them- any tips on how to get them performing or could I replace with calipers?
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• menthel
    Can I just check that these in 28's would be good? I had a puncture this morning with the supplied tyres and the sad excuse for a stone that caused it only got through because the tyres were not particuarly great (cheap conti contacts).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-ult ... -tube-set/
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    many people swear by gatorskins, though i prefer durano plus's myself (do a forum search on these)

I found that when I went from the 32's supplied on my hybrid to 28 durano pluses I not only got far superior puncture protection, but i knocked a good 5 mins+ off my (admittely long) commute as well.

I now run 25's on my road bike and they may be slightly faster than 28's but also I possibly feel more bumps too...but not sure as I cant remember how different the 28's are to compare :)
  • menthel
    many people swear by gatorskins, though i prefer durano plus's myself (do a forum search on these)

I found that when I went from the 32's supplied on my hybrid to 28 durano pluses I not only got far superior puncture protection, but i knocked a good 5 mins+ off my (admittely long) commute as well.

I now run 25's on my road bike and they may be slightly faster than 28's but also I possibly feel more bumps too...but not sure as I cant remember how different the 28's are to compare :)

Thanks for that- I had a look at the Duranno pluses but can only see them in 25's as a maximum. I think that at a push my rims could take 25's but I think I may be better off hedging my bets at present and going 28's.
    RIP commute...
  • cookeeemonster
    menthel wrote:

Thanks for that- I had a look at the Duranno pluses but can only see them in 25's as a maximum. I think that at a push my rims could take 25's but I think I may be better off hedging my bets at present and going 28's.

They 100% do them in a 28 - I had them on my hybrid for a start :)
  • menthel
    menthel wrote:

They 100% do them in a 28 - I had them on my hybrid for a start :)

I did believe you, I just hadn't found them at the places I usually look! I did find them those after some googling, couldn't see any in stock though. Might well go for the gators this time and see how I get on with them. Thanks for the help though!
    RIP commute...
  • cookeeemonster
    no problem!

And hopefully someone can answer your other questions too
  • menthel
    no problem!

And hopefully someone can answer your other questions too

Am now thinking again as it sounds like the gators can be a bit of a wotsit to get on and off, not something I want if I do get a puncture! Are the duranos easy to get on and off?

As for the other questions, I think the real answer to this is take my cycle to work scheme and spend the money on a decent road bike!
    RIP commute...
  • cookeeemonster
    the first time getting them on is a bit of a faff...then they loosen up. theres a youtube clip I think of techniques for getting these type of tyres on, involves straps from what I remember
  • menthel
    the first time getting them on is a bit of a faff...then they loosen up. theres a youtube clip I think of techniques for getting these type of tyres on, involves straps from what I remember

I will have a look, thanks!
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    Ended up with the durano pluses. Same price as the gators from high on bikes and having read the reviews the duranos may be heavier but it sounds like the side walls are much better.
    RIP commute...
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    I've got mechanical discs of my commuter bike which I've had for a couple of months now. When I did the test ride before buying I wasn't overly enamoured with the disc brakes (my first time ever of using them) but the guy at the shop said its cause they needed bedding in. Now I've had mine on for a while they're nice and powerful, so he was right! The feeling of security I get when braking in the rain now (compared to V-brakes on previous bikes) is fantastic. It's also nice and easier to take the front wheel on/off when squeezing the bike in the car.

What issues are you specifically finding with the discs?
  • menthel
    BigMonka wrote:
    I've got mechanical discs of my commuter bike which I've had for a couple of months now. When I did the test ride before buying I wasn't overly enamoured with the disc brakes (my first time ever of using them) but the guy at the shop said its cause they needed bedding in. Now I've had mine on for a while they're nice and powerful, so he was right! The feeling of security I get when braking in the rain now (compared to V-brakes on previous bikes) is fantastic. It's also nice and easier to take the front wheel on/off when squeezing the bike in the car.

What issues are you specifically finding with the discs?

Sluggish braking, should be bedded in by now, I have done over 200km on the bike. I need to find some fettling time over the weekend to give it all a clean and adjust the brakes properly. The foul weather may have something to do with it.
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    Took the bike to my lbs (bright cycles in raynes park) and my bars are now 10cm shorter- 580mm in total. Only cost £8 so about the same as buying a pipe cutter. Should be a little easier in the traffic now. All I need to do is fit the durano pluses now...
    RIP commute...