Which chain for Rotor Q-rings

masa
masa Posts: 15
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
Hello I am riding with Rotor Q-rings with Ultegra cassette.

Time to replace my chain, but what's the best buy for this setup?

1. Dura ace 7800 chain;
2. KMC X10 SL;
3. Rotor chain.

Comments

• James H-S
    James H-S Posts: 139
    Kmc
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I use DA7900 chains on all my bikes including my Q'd TT bike. Haven't failed me yet.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • masa
    Grill wrote:
    I use DA7900 chains on all my bikes including my Q'd TT bike. Haven't failed me yet.

They told if using DA take the old 7800 version ......
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    Been using da7901 with no issues at all on qrings
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • I've used kmc and dura ace without any issues. Setting it all up correctly is the key
  • masa
    I've used kmc and dura ace without any issues. Setting it all up correctly is the key

Dura ace 7800 or 7900 or both?
  • masa

Ok, I wonder what the theory is behind the Dura Ace 7800 story .......... most ''technicals'' told me to use the Dura Ace 7800 instead of the 7900 new version......
  • Grill
    The 7900 chain is lighter and smoother. The only reason a "mechanic" wouldn't like it is because it's directional and needs to be intstalled the right way round. My mechanic works for Welsh Cycling and has nothing but praise for it and you can find them for about 30 quid.
  • masa
    Grill wrote:
    The 7900 chain is lighter and smoother. The only reason a "mechanic" wouldn't like it is because it's directional and needs to be intstalled the right way round. My mechanic works for Welsh Cycling and has nothing but praise for it and you can find them for about 30 quid.

Ok, only thing I know is that it has to do with the position of the ''teeth'' from the Rotor chainrings. This position seems to be different from the ''new'' Shimano chainrings.
  • It's worked floorlessly for me. I'm currently running kmc x10sl and ultegra 6700 on my bikes and I can't fault them
  • Grill
    masa wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Ok, only thing I know is that it has to do with the position of the ''teeth'' from the Rotor chainrings. This position seems to be different from the ''new'' Shimano chainrings.

Dude, there's already been 3 people in this thread (myself included) that use the 7900 chain on Q-Rings without issue. If it's good enough for 12hr and 24hr TTs, then I don't see how you're going to have an issue. It's your cash, so you can do what you like.
  • masa
    So dude ............. I do not have an issue .......... I know I can do whatever I want with my cash. Only trie to discover the theorie behind 7800 and 7900 da chains on Rotor chainrings.
  • neil.s
    neil.s Posts: 123
    KMC without doubt. The only chains I've had snap on me are Shimano and Campagnolo. I wouldn't touch those chains with a barge pole nowadays. This is of course just my experience. I've used KMC for years now, even reusing the quick-link over and over again and never had one problem (fingers crossed etc!!).
  • neil.s
    neil.s Posts: 123
    Oops! Meant to add, used KMC chain with Q-Rings for years!
  • Grill
    masa wrote:
    So dude ............. I do not have an issue .......... I know I can do whatever I want with my cash. Only trie to discover the theorie behind 7800 and 7900 da chains on Rotor chainrings.

The sizing and spacing is identical so if there were issue they would be the same on both. It's the 9000 chain that's narrower to accommodate 11 speed.