tyre options

Mootanclan
Mootanclan Posts: 63
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
I am looking at changing my tyres on my road bike which are 700x25c and i want peoples opinions

Do i buy conti gatorskins or schwalbe durano plus or durano s or ultremos :?

and do i drop to a 23c but i have heard its not ideal for heavy people (15 st) :oops:
Cube Peleton Race 2013
Cube cross race cx 2016

I have a cycling problem work gets in the way!!!

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    What are you using at the moment and have they worn out?
  • I am on spec all condition there is still tread left
    Cube Peleton Race 2013
    Cube cross race cx 2016

• pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    Well, ultremos are pretty different from the others you mention as they're racing tyres (and that's out of the mouth of the schwalbe guy at the tcr show).

I personally don't like the gatorskins although many people do, and reckon you can get better grip and similar protection from other tyres. Perhaps add the conti gp 4 seasons to your list as theyre good, gp4000s if you want more of a race tyre.
  • Frank pole
    Frank pole Posts: 112
    15 stone - stick with 25s
  • pkripper wrote:
    Well, ultremos are pretty different from the others you mention as they're racing tyres (and that's out of the mouth of the schwalbe guy at the tcr show).

I personally don't like the gatorskins although many people do, and reckon you can get better grip and similar protection from other tyres. Perhaps add the conti gp 4 seasons to your list as theyre good, gp4000s if you want more of a race tyre.

What about the other schwalbe ones i mention are they any good. A mate at work swears by gators but other people say try the durano s ?
    Cube Peleton Race 2013
    Cube cross race cx 2016

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I use the Durano S on my Ribble which is used pretty much all year round 6 days a week. I think they are fine. I've not been tempted to go back to standard Duranos (though those are still a very good tyre) and personally I wouldn't touch any Schwalbe tyre with a 'plus' in the name with a bargepole! I don't like punctures but they are hardly the end of the world and unneccessarily lardy tyres don't do it for me - the Plus is much heavier than the other two.

Ultremos come in various varieties some of which are pure racing tyres and others more longer lasting normal tyres. I have some Ultremo R1s and they are excellent for normal use but I tend to prefer to use those on drier days.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nawty
    nawty Posts: 225
    What about Vredestein Tricomp Quattro?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... redtyrf225

Basically their version of the Cont 4-Seasons, equally as good but as they are less well known in the UK they are much cheaper than the Conti's...

edit: by the way, I've just ordered a set for my commuter...
    Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    ^^

I have these on my winter bike and zero punctures in ~1000 miles since they've been fitted.
    Roll well and not heavy and at a bargain price.
    Cheers, Stu