Headset

Cogsy1976
Cogsy1976 Posts: 143
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi I am currently building up a frame and trying to do as much as I can by myself. I have already failed in that I couldnt get the headset cups into the frame (with cheap device bought off ebay!) so took into LBs who fitted the cups, I thought it would then be a simple case of fitting the rest together.....

Wrong! I have managed to put together (I think as the pretty poor instructions arent much use) correctly but the trouble I am having is with the split ring which centres the forks ie. you can see it! should you be able to see this? when I take the forks out I can push the ring together and it looks like it fits together very well but as soon as I put the spacer on and the stem it doesnt appear to sit in that well. The handlebars turn well etc but Im at a loss to see whether this is incorrect or not!

The headset is a FSA The Pig

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sometimes the plit ring goes under the top part of the assembly, sometimes above. Make sure you have that right... Pictures would help alot.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Cogsy1976
    Cogsy1976 Posts: 143
    Hi Ben
    The split ring def goes on top which is how I have it as it wont fit in any other way I will try and upload a pic.
    Cheers
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pictures of where you have got to. but as above it sounds like you have them in the wrong order.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown