Bye everyone.

dmclite-3.0
dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
edited March 2013 in The bottom bracket
I'm off. Thanks for the laughs and arguments, best of luck to you all.

Regards

Dave.
I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    off where? are you deserting us for another forum or going to live in a desert without broadband?

I'm much concerned about this thread from my favourite Big Mac/quarter with cheese!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • off where? are you deserting us for another forum or going to live in a desert without broadband?

I'm much concerned about this thread from my favourite Big Mac/quarter with cheese!

Don't think so, probably had enough of comments like this

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12910888&p=18201272#p18201272
  • Yellow Peril
    I'm off. Thanks for the laughs and arguments, best of luck to you all.

Regards

Dave.

Dave I've PM'd you after AS's heads up. PM back if you get a chance.
    @JaunePeril

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    off where? are you deserting us for another forum or going to live in a desert without broadband?

If this really is the reason Dave has decided to leave the forum, then thats both upsetting and regretable.

I Had hoped we'd sorted this issue out some time ago and that we all accepted that whilst B/B is here for adult banter, the subject of Learning disabilities was not one for ridicule.

There are many forumites on here who have both directly and indirectly cared for and supported family members or others ,and have shown fortitude courage and humility in dealing daily with the prejudices and restricted thinking of society. Those prejudices should not and cannot be allowed to prevail on here.

I respect your decision dmclite-3.0 and regret that it is one you have had to take. I m sure I m not alone in hoping that in time we will see version 4.0 back on here. And Good Luck.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Whilst I don't particularly condone mocking anyone with any sort of medical condition, I don't see why learning disabilities should be a special case other than to pander to individual forum members' particular concerns. Yes, I have read your particular reasoning before but this is the internet and you will read offensive stuff, and having a strop is not a good way of changing the sensibilities of the wider population.

If you think this is as degrading as for example racism , which I think it is, then report the post and give your reasoning to the moderator. It is only when faced with sanction that most people stop and think about the language they use, otherwise it is simply a learned behaviour they are almost instinctively replicating.

However, remember if you go down this route then you should really cease mocking anyone for anything that is beyond their power to control, ie their race, disability, gender, sexuality etc otherwise you are a hypocrit. To qualify, I am not calling you a hypocrit as I don't remember your posting style well enough to know if you do mock people on these bases generally or not.

tl;dr? Do something about it or stop crying
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    edited March 2013
    nathancom wrote:
    Whilst I don't particularly condone mocking anyone with any sort of medical condition, I don't see why learning disabilities should be a special case other than to pander to individual forum members' particular concerns. Yes, I have read your particular reasoning before but this is the internet and you will read offensive stuff, and having a strop is not a good way of changing the sensibilities of the wider population.

If you think this is as degrading as for example racism , which I think it is, then report the post and give your reasoning to the moderator. It is only when faced with sanction that most people stop and think about the language they use, otherwise it is simply a learned behaviour they are almost instinctively replicating.

However, remember if you go down this route then you should really cease mocking anyone for anything that is beyond their power to control, ie their race, disability, gender, sexuality etc otherwise you are a hypocrit. To qualify, I am not calling you a hypocrit as I don't remember your posting style well enough to know if you do mock people on these bases generally or not.

tl;dr? Do something about it or stop crying

Not sure where to start with your post as it's a bit rambling but 'I don't particularly condone mocking' is one place, I'm sure if you were directly affected by this as DMC is you might have stronger feelings about it, as it is you're saying you don't really care one way or the other? Thanks for sharing, it's important to know where you stand on this.
    Not everyone wants to run to the authorities every time someone offends, sometimes you need to confront, shame that DMC didn't do this although I can understand why and how wearing this is? As for your last paragraph, well, yes you really should, so why bring it into the conversation?
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Shame.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    tim wand wrote:

If this really is the reason Dave has decided to leave the forum, then thats both upsetting and regretable.

I Had hoped we'd sorted this issue out some time ago and that we all accepted that whilst B/B is here for adult banter, the subject of Learning disabilities was not one for ridicule.

There are many forumites on here who have both directly and indirectly cared for and supported family members or others ,and have shown fortitude courage and humility in dealing daily with the prejudices and restricted thinking of society. Those prejudices should not and cannot be allowed to prevail on here.

I respect your decision dmclite-3.0 and regret that it is one you have had to take. I m sure I m not alone in hoping that in time we will see version 4.0 back on here. And Good Luck.
    Well said Tim. I second EVERYTHING you say in your post.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Shame. :cry:
    Tim's post +1.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    Why would one leave a forum over a single post, and it's only a very small post which I did not notice anything offensive O_o.
  • dmclite-3.0
    Ok, I am quite touched that you guys posted on this thread how you have. I'm off, not because of another comment but I am finding now that when I am posting, it is generally to be narky or to try and put someone in his place and that is the opposite of why I joined here originally and have loved being on this forum, especially the Cakestop of old and now the Bottom Bracket.

I am the dad of two Autistic boys and sometimes it is very difficult not to be bitter, but my boys are a complete joy and now coming into their teens they are maturing and growing away from a lot of tendencies Autism seems to put on someone. It is my good fortune to have wonderful kids, I just get very defensive/angry when people post up comments that they see no wrong in, its just a day to day saying to them, I and my family live on the other side of that coin, as do many others, some on tthis forum as well.

The other thing is that my Dad is dying and taking out all my anger and fustration at his situation as a keyboard warrior is doing me and the people I rant at no good at all.

You guys on here share a common interest of cycling, we get it, we get the cycling thing big time and I am glad of my time on here, thank you for all the japes and ridiculousness, mumsnet, compact vs Standard, GiantSasquatch and SurfMatt have made me howl.

Cheers fellas, when I calm down I'll jump in and say hello and maybe have a meet at some central Uk sportive sometime, would be nice to put faces to usernames.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    Dmc, as a dad of two the eldest of which has autism I understand your situation to a degree. The Internet is the biggest democracy in the world but its also a very difficult place to convey emotions effectively. Please dont go because you get narked off with posts etc. Just chill and enjoy the 'me time' that bike radar and cycling in general provides. Feel free to pm me if you ever want a chat
    Insert witty signature here
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I'm not sure about the posts you mention above by I too have a son with autism, he has ADHD as well but is growing out of it, we manage the ADHD with tablets and food choice which helps tremendously.

I've had a lot of stick here, maybe I made some mistakes which rubbed people the wrong way but walking away is never the answer. Every time you get k Ickes down and you pick yourself up you ARE stronger. Trust me.

Stay.
    Living MY dream.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    My nephew's autistic and we see a lot of each other. I realise it's different being a parent but unless the comments are personally aimed at you, just ignore. You'll be happier in general.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    The comment that was made could only come from someone who has no real experience of people with additional needs.

Knowing someone who has a child with autism/aspergers isn't the same as being in constant everyday contact with a person afflicted by it. I dare say a few people on here have that experience, I have, and it does make you look at society and their attitude sometimes.

Why do the mods allow the term "window licker" which some may find offensive (I tend to pity the ignorance of such people rather than be truely offended by it) whilst if the word n****r was in a racist post it would be pulled immediately. Whilst some (most I would think) would find such a word distasteful/offensive some would see no harm in it what-so-ever.

I do appreciate their are legal implications about racist comments. The reason being racism is now an unacceptible attitude in the UK, and until the general populous become a bit more enlightened terms such as window licker will be acceptible terms.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Someone hears a phrase and uses it here without thinking about the implications and as a result several hundred people learn what is un-acceptable, I doubt if we will see that offensive term used here again.

We all have to learn. Good self regulation.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • VTech
    The comment that was made could only come from someone who has no real experience of people with additional needs.

Knowing someone who has a child with autism/aspergers isn't the same as being in constant everyday contact with a person afflicted by it. I dare say a few people on here have that experience, I have, and it does make you look at society and their attitude sometimes.

Why do the mods allow the term "window licker" which some may find offensive (I tend to pity the ignorance of such people rather than be truely offended by it) whilst if the word n****r was in a racist post it would be pulled immediately. Whilst some (most I would think) would find such a word distasteful/offensive some would see no harm in it what-so-ever.

I do appreciate their are legal implications about racist comments. The reason being racism is now an unacceptible attitude in the UK, and until the general populous become a bit more enlightened terms such as window licker will be acceptible terms.

The problem is, this forum is very homophobic, racist and anti-catholic (sorry but there isnt a word for abuse against religion). It completely changed my mind about this forum. I personally can take anything people throw at me, I realise almost all of it is fake due to being behind a keyboard rather than face to face and am sure that there isnt a single person I would dislike under different circumstanced but after the religion thread I felt disgusted at what I had read and im an atheist !
    What was happily written was both offensive and illegal yet is allowed to continue, I could go into the fact that a post about helping a forum member for a charity here was deleted yet a post openly abusive to over a quarter of the earths population remains but what good would it do ?

Im sure everyone here is nice in real life but I have certainly found it difficult adjusting to forum life.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:

The problem is, this forum is very homophobic, racist and anti-catholic (sorry but there isnt a word for abuse against religion). It completely changed my mind about this forum. I personally can take anything people throw at me, I realise almost all of it is fake due to being behind a keyboard rather than face to face and am sure that there isnt a single person I would dislike under different circumstanced but after the religion thread I felt disgusted at what I had read and im an atheist !
    What was happily written was both offensive and illegal yet is allowed to continue, I could go into the fact that a post about helping a forum member for a charity here was deleted yet a post openly abusive to over a quarter of the earths population remains but what good would it do ?

Im sure everyone here is nice in real life but I have certainly found it difficult adjusting to forum life.

Yet again you manage to take a post and make it all about you :roll:
  • VTech
    VTech wrote:

Yet again you manage to take a post and make it all about you :roll:

And your reply is whats wrong with this place. My post was very well grounded. Only an example was given, that may have included me (as it would be wrong to bring anyone else into such a heated debate) but it is truthful, and people do agree with me from the state of posts on the threads.
    Living MY dream.
  • And the previous post you made? You just don't see it do you? If you were a troll you'd be worth engaging with but the truth is you're just self obsessed.

'Plonk'
  • VTech
    And the previous post you made? You just don't see it do you? If you were a troll you'd be worth engaging with but the truth is you're just self obsessed.

'Plonk'

No, it was a valid post, the OP had a similar issue, I explained mine to request him to stay, I think my post was well worded, polite and with good intentions.
    Living MY dream.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I think you two both need to take your petty stupid bickering elsewhere, as you are both guilty of turning this thread into another childish argument, 'you said this'...... 'ah but you said that'. FFS! It's not about either of you!

dmclite-3.0 I do realise how angry you must feel having to read pig ignorant comments or phrases from people who are either too stupid to even think of the words they are using and the effect they have on others, or from others who are just plain nasty and feel the need to fill their sad and pointless days up with nastiness towards strangers. For what it's worth I do think the guilty party on this occasion falls into the stupid camp.

I do hope you do not leave for good though, because if all the decent people on here left every time an idiot, bigot or troll made a crass comment we would just be giving the forum over to them.

I am sorry to read about your Father, my best wishes to you and all the family at this time.

I look forward to hearing from you again.
  • I think you two both need to take your petty stupid bickering elsewhere, as you are both guilty of turning this thread into another childish argument, 'you said this'...... 'ah but you said that'. FFS! It's not about either of you!

dmclite-3.0 I do realise how angry you must feel having to read pig ignorant comments or phrases from people who are either too stupid to even think of the words they are using and the effect they have on others, or from others who are just plain nasty and feel the need to fill their sad and pointless days up with nastiness towards strangers. For what it's worth I do think the guilty party on this occasion falls into the stupid camp.

I do hope you do not leave for good though, because if all the decent people on here left every time an idiot, bigot or troll made a crass comment we would just be giving the forum over to them.

I am sorry to read about your Father, my best wishes to you and all the family at this time.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Point taken, apologies for any offence caused, wasn't my intention at all.
  • dmclite-3.0
    Through some PM's myself and the OP have sorted it, I think in the end he may actually have behaved more gallant than myself over a stupid comment and an aggressive retort.

I will stay, love being on here with you guys and the posts about me going have pretty much blown me away when I am pretty down.

Cheers, I now know the true meaning of an online community, kindness of strangers and true altruism.

Thanks boys, lets move on and get the banter back on.

:D 8)
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    I knew you was only jesting and not going.
  • Yellow Peril
    Better get the burger avatar back then!
    @JaunePeril

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Through some PM's myself and the OP have sorted it, I think in the end he may actually have behaved more gallant than myself over a stupid comment and an aggressive retort.

I will stay, love being on here with you guys and the posts about me going have pretty much blown me away when I am pretty down.

Cheers, I now know the true meaning of an online community, kindness of strangers and true altruism.

Thanks boys, lets move on and get the banter back on.

:D 8)

Good news. Its even cheered Willhub up. Now lets have Version 4 with a side order of no chips!!!!!!!!
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686

I haven't been on BB for a few days so missed all this, can you please quit in a huff again so that I can tell you how much your online company means to me?

Thanks.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,225
    If there is a post that is offensive or insulting do report it and let the mods take a look and a view. Is usually a better course of action then replying with abuse.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    If there is a post that is offensive or insulting do report it and let the mods take a look and a view. Is usually a better course of action then replying with abuse.

Oh f*ck off!

:wink:
This discussion has been closed.