Fitting conventional Front mech to Cube Attention?

mightyi
mightyi Posts: 73
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Has anyone tried fitting a conventional front mech to a Cube attention? Mine is an '09 but i noticed the newer models also use top swing mechs. As mine needs replacing, I was hoping to fit a normal one due to them being a bit tougher; but obviously don't want to buy one if it won't work :)

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    They are no different ime.

Just buy the same, it depends where pivots and bolts holes are.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Pics of your current set up?

and tougher? than what?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mightyi
    Thanks for the quick replies guys. From reading around the forums, a lot of people seem to say avoid top swing mechs as they don't last anywhere near as long as conventional swing models, and that they also have more problems with gearing. As I was planning to change this one anyway, I thought it may be worth changing over.

Please correct me if I am wrong tho! :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Corrected, your wrong.

Not sure where you've read that, but there is no real longevity difference between high and low mount, also some frames won't accept the other due to various factors (like bottle cage mounts).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mightyi
    I stand corrected sir :)

I thought it sounded a bit strange to be honest, but thought it would be worth checking whilst i am replacing the old mech anyway!

Thanks for your help!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No problem!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.