Saving weight on tyres

2»

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    That's what i meant, the water in a camelbak gets hot because it's against your body and the hose is in the sun. Can't stand warm water personally.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Beauty of the peaks is that you are never too far from a pub ;-)
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I use a bottle for short rides and a hydration back pack for longer rides works for me.
    I've got my weight down to under 11stone from 13 and bike down to 11kgs for my Scott HT, and just under 12kgs for my FS Anthem, I'm flying compared to how I was riding this time last year.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That's what i meant, the water in a camelbak gets hot because it's against your body and the hose is in the sun. Can't stand warm water personally.

Ah, yes in that case we agree!

Likewise the Surrey Hills Sonic - a stop for cake is mandatory, refilling a bottle is easy enough!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    And the water gets hot.
    Mine doesn't in it's camelback insulation.......insulated hose as well (Army surplus from 'Iraqanistan')
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Well I have turned into weight weenies on my bike. My current MTB tyres are Conti X-king supersonics which weight 440g. Geax do a tyre with a claimed weight of 395g. I am buying some to see if it true and if they are 395g I will ride and see how long they last.

Tubs are another good option Geax have resoanably priced tub out to go with there tubular rim. I have have to give a go as well.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Schwalbe Furious Freds are 320g, and Maxxis do a Maxxlite 285g tyre. Depends if you want grip or not!

Rocket Rons are fantastic as a lightweight tyre with some tread.
  • AlexJCook
    AlexJCook Posts: 108
    Even as a small lightweight (5'7 and around 60kg) I use different tyres during a season, keep my light Conti Combo for racing. Then for recreational and training rides I switch between those, some slightly heavier WTB mid-knobbly tyres, and full on Bonty Muds for when it's sloppy.

I used Latex Tubes, which are fantastic. This way I can justify buying the expensive and light supersonic Conti tyres because they last me ages, whilst I can use the more durable WTBs for out locally without fear of ripping the sidewalls or taking lumps off of my 'race' tyres on rocks etc in the local woods and tracks.

I notice a big difference between tyres, I'm sure part of this is down to weight, but equally the tread pattern/compound etc.

I think expensive and light tyres are a fantastic way to lose weight/liven up your bike, but that too much emphasis is put on how light a tyre is and not on it's tread pattern or actual practicality! Slipping about in the British summer because you're running a semi-slick tyre is going to slow you down a lot more than the time you have saved by your tyres being fractionally lighter.

Rant over. Thanks :)
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    I've lost 2 and a half stone since last summer through cycling.

For someone trying to loose weight, Why would you want to make it easier? Because you can't be arsed to put effort it?

I notice a massive difference between the two types of tyres and I love knowing my knoblies are making me loose more and making me fitter due to having to put quite a considerable amount more effort in.

When I switch back to my City Jets to go for long cycle path/road rides with my brother I can see a massive difference, Feels loads quicker/easier. Strava times back that up aswell.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Why would you want to make it easier?

Make what easier?
  • As an 18 stone fella, I can say that having fitted lighter wheels and tyres to my Mountain and road bike they make a huge difference, in initial inertia and in slow technical sections where you are having to quickly accelerate. I fitted them as they came my way very cheaply as opposed to me searching for ways of losing weight from my existing wheels. Of course if I was lighter I would be quicker, but regardless of what you weigh, the wheels will always make a relative difference. :D
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.