Questionable Colnago ??? Help ???

UltegraSTI
UltegraSTI Posts: 4
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0595527256

Sadly then i got to reading further and it is listed as a 2002. Master+2002. Wouldn't it be a MXL?? Is this potentially a fake, a repaint (00F color scheme) or a lower end frame from colnago with 'Master' painted on it. I'm lost and ideally someone will outbid so i can look for another colnago lugged bike. any help would be appreciated. they listed and showed a picture of the serial on the dropout but it seems throughout the web that serials are simply unclear.

Any help appreciated. thx.

R

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    2002 was a Master Extralight - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colnago

I obviously can't vouch for the validity but it looks the real deal. All the small details would appear to be present and correct.
    Headset bearings must have been shot though as they aren't there.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Won't be cheap if it gets hit by import duties.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • its staying on the lower 48.

u could say that someone might've wanted their classic record headset but then i thought they stuck a leftover threadless flash fork on an old master or non-colnago frame that was originally threaded and also repainted on a period correct color code. big reach. but i need to find out...

...any more help very appreciated. -R
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    UltegraSTI wrote:
    its staying on the lower 48.

u could say that someone might've wanted their classic record headset but then i thought they stuck a leftover threadless flash fork on an old master or non-colnago frame that was originally threaded and also repainted on a period correct color code. big reach. but i need to find out...

...any more help very appreciated. -R
    No one else used that tubing profile so it is either a genuine Colnago or a very, very good reproduction.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Looks 100% to me. The seat cluster is of the more modern variety on the master, same as current model.

The frame is neither threaded or threadless just the headset so no issue with the fork. I believe there was a period when masters were sold with the option of the flash or precisa fork. You can still buy 1 inch thread less record headsets new to go on that frame.

Also remember maestro used to offer all historical colours on any frame so no issue there.

Not sure what you are worried for, looks a lovely example and a really nice colour scheme.
  • Thank you for that detail. Yes i know the headset dictates (the wording of my previous statement is a lil busy). The seller gave me some more detail on its lineage. Appreciate the time folks. -R

PS- If i get it, it'll almost certainly get a precisa instead anyway.