Turbo Trainer do I need one?

CyclingObsession
CyclingObsession Posts: 314
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
During the winter I dont get out on long rides as much as I would like to, maybe one a month if I am lucky, I generally keep my fitness up by cycling to work 40k round trip, my question is should I invest in a turbo trainer for the winter months? if so which one is best? I do have a gym membership I use for swimming and weight training. Which turbo trainers are good for a budget?

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    If your a gym member see if they do spinning classes too.

As for turbo's I would (did in fact) get one to keep on top of your training. Can get a bit boring but you get out what you put in. My turbo was recently sold though as now have rollers which are another option for you.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Depends if you want to improve your speed or power output
  • I bought one last year and have used it a fair bit due to our crappy weather over the last few months. It has helped me improve speed and power over rides of around an hour but any more than that on a turbo trainer would be REALLY boring!!!

The 3LC DVD's are very good to aid the training too.
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    They can be a big help in maintaining or increasing your fitness in a very time-efficient way, but being disciplined about using them is crucial.

I've used one this winter for the first time. I jumped straight in with TrainerRoad as well to provide structure to the turbo sessions. With TR you can also watch something on the laptop at the same time, as it runs as an overlay panel. Without that there's no way I'd stick at it with the frequency I've managed so far.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    MTFU! :wink:
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    edited March 2013
    A turbo trainer isn't going to do you much good if it's the long rides you're not doing. I doubt you'd be doing 4 hour plus endurance rides on it.
    More problems but still living....
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    You can improve your endurance, power and base fitness through hour long sets of interval training. Turbo's are a great way to do this. Personally it's the only way I can ride in the week when I get home from work, I'd lose a lot of fitness without it.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    I've only just got one

It seems you do much shorter sessions than you would on the road, but at higher resistance.
    You can really put the hammer down on the turbo. I would never push that hard on the road because you have to look where your going & avoid cars
  • housemunkey
    housemunkey Posts: 237
    If you aren't of a grizzly muck and salt persuasion (and I'm not) then I think either a turbo or rollers are invaluable during the winter. I got my first one for christmas and its proven invaluable so far; I don't doubt for one second that it has made a huge difference to my fitness.

If you do get one, do try to stretch your budget to a gel type one rather than a magnetic one. I've been on a few magnetics and they don't feel nearly as natural in the resistance they provide.
  • Sta81
    Sta81 Posts: 56
    i certainly do...a ruptured achilles tendon has made the turbo trainer my best friend...
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    amaferanga wrote:
    A turbo trainer isn't going to do you much good if it's the long rides you're not doing. I doubt you'd be doing 4 hour plus endurance rides on it.

Probably worth looking at some of the latest research on HIIT training and the resultant physiological responses to it.

I enjoy long rides though, so mix everything up.