Convince me to spend my money....

photojonny
photojonny Posts: 382
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
OK, so I had a road bike a few years ago, enjoyed riding but had to sell it due to needing the money and then moving to a flat with little space. I've been thinking recently about starting up again now I have a little more money and space.

Given that I haven't ridden for a while and would be able to use the bike max once or twice a week (I can't commute on it), my head says go for the Triban 3 and a bunch of Decathlon kit. I went in there today, feel that the 51cm bike would be right size for me, and a quick look round suggests I could get the bike, pedals, shoes, bibs, pump and essentials for well under £500.

But my heart isn't really in it. I look at the bike and, well, it's a bit 'meh'. I went into JE James to look at the bike I'd really like, which is a Bianchi Via Nirone 7. The black and celeste Sora version at £810 is just beautiful, but the 53cm they had in felt a little too big so I'd have to order a 50cm from somewhere.

So basically I need someone to convince me to fork out closer to £1000 for what is essentially a slightly upgraded bike in a different colour (but it's a Celeste Bianchi!!). Help :-)

where there's two wheels, there's a way....

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    If you like it and can afford it then buy it.lifes to short not to.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Why buy something that makes you go errr! when you can have something that gives you a trouser tent (particularly in Suffolk apparently) :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If it helps, I went to Epic Cycles with the intention of buying a Via Nirone and ended up spending 3 times as much so, whatever you do, you probably won't be as irresponsible as I was :lol:

And, P.S - I have never once regretted it even for a moment. I made the right decision then and if that bike was available today I'd make the same decision today.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • photojonny
    I think I'm going to try and find somewhere that has or will get in the 50cm for a test ride. There's no point spending that much if it doesn't feel right but if it does..... :roll:

• photojonny
    Rolf F wrote:
    If it helps, I went to Epic Cycles with the intention of buying a Via Nirone and ended up spending 3 times as much so, whatever you do, you probably won't be as irresponsible as I was :lol:

And, P.S - I have never once regretted it even for a moment. I made the right decision then and if that bike was available today I'd make the same decision today.

And I see you are in Leeds too Rolf! Did you end up with a more expensive Bianchi or something else? Any thoughts on good rides out of Leeds and back?

• mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    As said before I had intentions of a bike need up spending three times more and love every minute of it. It will make you want to ride and enjoy it more. The difference between the two is not a life changing sum of money in the big picture of life is it. Buy enjoy it.
  • rolf_f
    photojonny wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

And I see you are in Leeds too Rolf! Did you end up with a more expensive Bianchi or something else? Any thoughts on good rides out of Leeds and back?

Millions of rides out of Leeds! Why not come along to an Airedale Olympic Club run? We have easy to difficult and very good cake stops!

I bought a Look 585. It was partly because I didn't actually fit the Bianchis very well and partly because Epic Cycles saw an idiot coming a mile off! They are good at that I think..... But as I said, it was the right bike even though the price would have made my nose bleed only a few months earlier!
  • photojonny
    Rolf F wrote:
    Millions of rides out of Leeds! Why not come along to an Airedale Olympic Club run? We have easy to difficult and very good cake stops!

I bought a Look 585. It was partly because I didn't actually fit the Bianchis very well and partly because Epic Cycles saw an idiot coming a mile off! They are good at that I think..... But as I said, it was the right bike even though the price would have made my nose bleed only a few months earlier!

If I end up with the bike and get some miles under my belt I may take you up on that :)

• housemunkey
    housemunkey Posts: 237
    Whatever you do, make sure you WANT it. It's all supposed to be fun and enjoyable so £500 spent on a bike you don't really like is £500 wasted, whereas £1000 spent on something you love is money well spent.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Rolf F wrote:

where is the club based?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Buy the one you desire, you will use it more
  • rolf_f
    zx6man wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

where is the club based?

Northwest Leeds is where the rides start from - at Rawdon. Saturday easy runs out to Storiths near Bolton Abbey and longer (but still patient) rides out to anywhere on Sundays. Plus a fast training run on Saturday to Kettlewell or Kilnsey (that one from Otley) and faster Sunday rides for those that want to go a bit quicker. It's a nice, friendly club.
  • LittlePlums
    LittlePlums Posts: 139
    My advice is buy the Bianchi quickly.

The other day I found a scrap of paper from when I first started considering buying a road bike and on it was a list of bikes including the Via Nirone. For various reasons I procrastinated and each time I did, my budget somehow crept up until I ended up with my beautiful Vertigo. I don't regret it, but don't underestimate the power of your heart to talk your head into something it wouldn't otherwise do.

Just buy the bike that will make you want to ride the thing.

Passione Celeste!
    Pride and joy: Bianchi Sempre
    Commuting hack: Cube Nature
  • photojonny
    Thanks for all your 'help' :D

Will look into sorting a test ride out.
    My advice is buy the Bianchi quickly.

Passione Celeste!

Indeed!

• I am also interested in Bianchi, the Impulso Veloce and really love the look of it. The only thing i am unsure of is the Celeste. I Like it but what are perceptions of this, my mat esaid it looked 'girly' and had implanted the seed of doubt!

Help convince me? :)
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    So, spend a fortune on a bike you want. Or spend half a fortune on one you - deep down - don't really want.

:) Try the smaller Bianchi....
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    just buy whichever bike fits best and you'll enjoy riding. There's probably not that much between them.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    smidsy wrote:
    Why buy something that makes you go errr! when you can have something that gives you a trouser tent (particularly in Suffolk apparently) :-)

Oi! I resemble that remark!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I too gave my custom to Epic Cycles and gave my Barclaycard a more serious battering than I'd originally intended. I did come away with the best bike for my needs though, and all I've changed in 5 years is the saddle.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    keef66 wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

Oi! I resemble that remark!

That's Ok then, it was one of your posts that made me think so :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • photojonny
    Well, I'm afraid captain sensible reared his head today and I have forgone the Bianchi (for now) and picked up a Triban 3. The plan is to ride this through the summer and provided I do the miles and am enjoying it, to upgrade a little further down the line. I tried a 50cm Bianchi today (in the Dame colours) and it fit nicely, and I honestly think if anywhere local had had a mens 50cm in stock I may have just said sod it and gone for it, but instead I have a shiny new red bike and a bunch of new kit ready for a ride tomorrow.

Oh, and a Bianchi catalogue to stare at for encouragement!

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    As much as I love Bianchi, Celeste is a god alwful colour. Its not too bad it its with black but the Very bright Celeste or with white is an eyesore. Think you made the right choice getting a different bike and lots of additional kit to go with it.
  • photojonny
    The bike I have my eye on the the black Bianchi with a few flashes of Celeste. One day she will be mine:

bianchi-via-nirone-7-alu-tiagra-road-bike-74083.jpg

But for now:

BTwin-Triban-3-1.jpg

• smoggysteve
    If you really must buy a Bianchi the those colours, could you stretch to this price? Price is € not £

http://www.bianchistore.de/Bianchi-Impulso-Campagnolo-Veloce-10g-Compact
  • photojonny
    If I were being silly this is what I'd really go for:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bianchi/vertigo-veloce-2013-road-bike-ec045185

bianchi-vertigo-veloce-2013-road-bike.jpg

• smoggysteve
    I have this albeit I bought just the frame and built myself, but again look at the prices, not a bank breaker what you get, best thing I ever ridden in my life.

http://www.thebikeshop.de/epages/62303450.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62303450/Products/BIY2SEVN/SubProducts/BIY2SEVEn