For Those Who Want Handbuilt Wheels - Heres Mine

13»

Comments

• philbar72 wrote:
    hope you recover soon. use the wheels as a motivator for when you get recovered.
    Thank you
    The medics won't let me drive, walk or do anything at the moment and have put me on Warfarin for 6 months
    I'm hoping that I will be allowed to cycle soon, but won't take any chances until I get the ok to start again
    It's so frustrating :(
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540
    Nice. Just dropped off my rims and hubs to Ugo this evening as it goes, really can't wait to see the finished product now and get riding on them.

I am on the case... They are really pretty... Black and blue... :D

I'm quite pleased with the blue, wasn't sure going by the pictures online and almost got the black but they go quite well with the bike 8)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,237
    philbar72 wrote:
    hope you recover soon. use the wheels as a motivator for when you get recovered.
    Thank you
    The medics won't let me drive, walk or do anything at the moment and have put me on Warfarin for 6 months
    I'm hoping that I will be allowed to cycle soon, but won't take any chances until I get the ok to start again
    It's so frustrating :(

Hope you get well soon, at the moment with the weather we have you are not missing much... :(
    left the forum March 2023
  • Whats the deal with hand made stuff? I prefer machined stuff coz machines are capable of a far higher degree of accuracy. Hand made stuff typically takes longer to make and is therefore more expensive and therefore less value for money. Im probably wrong tho so thats why im asking to be corrected.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I assume you are being ironic and on that basis you are totally correct in all your assumptions.

Needless to say Mavic are the best exponents of wheels, I would suggest you get some.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • moscowflyer
    I'm sure Ugo won't mind me sharing this, but here's a picture he's sent me of the wheels he's doing for me.

w0p4yo.jpg

I love the look of these, can't wait to try them out now. Will post a picture once they're on the bike.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I'm sure Ugo won't mind me sharing this, but here's a picture he's sent me of the wheels he's doing for me.

w0p4yo.jpg

I love the look of these, can't wait to try them out now. Will post a picture once they're on the bike.

Can you tell I hoovered the carpet beforehand?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Really like the Archetypes but I wish they would put the valve in the right place.

As they are, you can not have the valve and the writing in the 6 O'clock position, so instantly fall foul of the Nap D OCD pic rules :-(.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Possibly a strange question, but this new breed of wide(er) rims. If my current rim/tyre combination gives me just enough clearance for full SKS chromoplastics, what effect will Archetypes have on that clearance? Will the overall diameter of the wheel/tyre combination be slightly less, but perhaps a bit wider?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412

w0p4yo.jpg

Very nice indeed. That blue is, well, very blue!

Just built a pair of very similar wheels (as in same hub and rim) - my hubs are a slightly more boring silver though (with grey rims).

Not ridden them much yet (have you seen it out there?!?) - but done a few laps of Richmond Park and they felt fantastic.

Enjoy those - they look lovely. And blue.
  • moscowflyer
    marcusjb wrote:

w0p4yo.jpg

Very nice indeed. That blue is, well, very blue!

Just built a pair of very similar wheels (as in same hub and rim) - my hubs are a slightly more boring silver though (with grey rims).

Not ridden them much yet (have you seen it out there?!?) - but done a few laps of Richmond Park and they felt fantastic.

Enjoy those - they look lovely. And blue.

They're a slightly darker blue than what's on the bike but I think they'll work well with it, I checked the colour against the frame quickly once I received them, but I guess I'll find out soon enough how well it works! Glad I chose the black spokes though.
  • ugo.santalucia
    dodgy wrote:
    Possibly a strange question, but this new breed of wide(er) rims. If my current rim/tyre combination gives me just enough clearance for full SKS chromoplastics, what effect will Archetypes have on that clearance? Will the overall diameter of the wheel/tyre combination be slightly less, but perhaps a bit wider?

I did wonder that myself, I suspect the difference is very tiny, certainly less than 1 mm... I wouldn't buy them for that reason only...