Cable housing

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Will the cable housing being split prevent good gear changes?

Noticed it's cracked and cable is revealed on my top tube due to a crash. Also noticed where the rear gear cable rubs on the brake cable at the front in front of the bars has worn straight through from the rubbing.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes. Cruddy cables are responsible for shifting issues 99.99999999999999999999999999999999% of the time. Fact.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • concorde
    cooldad wrote:
    Yes. Cruddy cables are responsible for shifting issues 99.99999999999999999999999999999999% of the time. Fact.

Cool, I will get them sorted. Back one seems ok, front one is crap! Lukily I use it a lot less than the back one! Is it normal for a cable to wear completely through to the cable from rubbing on the brake hose?
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I wouldn't call it 'normal' but it's better than the brake hose wearing through! You may want to look at changing the cable routing.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • concorde
    I wouldn't call it 'normal' but it's better than the brake hose wearing through! You may want to look at changing the cable routing.

Yes that's what I was thinking, I didn't check the brake hose as it's the underside that's touching of that, will check how far that's worn too and change the routing.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    If you can't change the routing, you could tape or zip tie them together, to stop them rubbing.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20