Haro Flightline HT | Custom Build (Now for Sale)

oxocube1
oxocube1 Posts: 651
edited November 2014 in Your mountain bikes
**The Haro is now for sale for £350 here**

So I've finally gotten round to starting a Hardtail build. I've had few spare bits lying around gathering dust, so instead of selling them, I'm making up this little number. I'm keeping it as cheap as possible by only buying brand new parts that are essential/can't get hold of second hand. Bought the frame a few weeks ago, which is what got the ball rolling.

Below is everything I currently have. I've got Forks, chain guide, grips, and saddle in the post. I will update as I get hold of parts!

Frame: 2011 Haro Flightline Expert 19"
Forks: Rockshox Recon 100mm (on order)

Chainset: Shimano Deore M590, Single speed 36T
Chain Guide: Superstar Laser Chaindevice
Gear Shifters: Shimano Deore M590 9spd RH
Rear Mech: Shimano SLX M662 9spd
Cassette: Shimano HG61 9spd 11-32
Chain: Shimano HG53 9spd
Pedals: Wellgo Flat Magnesium in White

Brakes: Avid Elixir 5 F+R
Handlebars: Kore Torsion 710mm
Headset: FSA Zero Stack No.11
Grips: Superstar SupaGripa
Stem: FSA XC150 100mm
Saddle:

Hubs: Sram 406 Race
Rims: Mach 1 MX
Tyres: Conti Speed King 2.1 F+R
Rotors: Tektro 180mm Front, 160mm Rear.

102_1370_zpse66848a2.jpg
102_1368_zps64438d2a.jpg
102_1372_zpse6d07854.jpg
102_1373_zpsaa1c0493.jpg
102_1377_zpsd0981df1.jpg

- Wheels are on the heavy side but had them lying around back home so grabbed them.
- I was going to get a brand new set of Deore brakes but got the Eilixir 5s for under £40, couldn't say no to that!
- The stem is a lot longer than I would usually use at 120mm, but I will see how it rides when it's built up.
- Also got a set of Mountain King 2s for when I need a bit more grip.

Comments

• AlexJCook
    AlexJCook Posts: 108
    I'm normally one for a 'classic' hardtail shape, but I really like that frame. It's probably because that Haro logo has me imagining immense old school BMX pictures.

Should look sick when it's built, but I would have forked out a bit more and got the new Deore brakes, they would pay for themselves in the time you'll spend faffing with those pesky Avids!
  • oxocube1
    AlexJCook wrote:
    I'm normally one for a 'classic' hardtail shape, but I really like that frame. It's probably because that Haro logo has me imagining immense old school BMX pictures.

Should look sick when it's built, but I would have forked out a bit more and got the new Deore brakes, they would pay for themselves in the time you'll spend faffing with those pesky Avids!

I had no idea Haro made MTB frames until i saw this one! It was the shape of the frame was what drew me in to buy it. I like the 'curvyness' of the toptube. And yea I would have certainly preferred the Deore brakes, as I am running XTs on my Spesh and they are sublime. I'll see how I get on with the Avids though. Only bought them as they were soo cheap and I'm handy when it comes to bleeding brakes so i should be able to ge them setup good.

Had a few mores things arrive in the post today so pics will be up shortly.
  • oxocube1
    As promised a few things in the post today. All I'm waiting for now is the forks.

IMG_1253_zps8d5745e0.jpg
    IMG_1252_zps57ba7c51.jpg
    102_1388_zps966451d0.jpg
    They had run out of stock of blue lockrings on Superstar which i would have preferred with black grips. This was the next best choice!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looking promising.....I'd certainly go for Shimano brakes, having said that I sold my Juicy's (which I'd bought at a good price) after 18 months use for more than I paid for them! Only maintenance ost was a set of pads!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • oxocube1
    So the crucial part of the build turned up today. A set of very good condition 2009 (maybe 2008?) RS Recon SL with Poplock. They were supposed to be 100mm but turned out to actually only be 80mm, so I will take them apart at some point and see if there is a spacer in the air spring I can take out to increase the travel. They will do for the time being though:

102_1384_zps747cecea.jpg

I managed to put 90% of the bike together. Just the rear gear cable/housing to add, and I need to bleed the back brake to fit it on properly, which I will do in work at some point tomorrow. Here's the pic of it almsot complete:

102_1389_zps9138d2d3.jpg
    102_1393_zps37420658.jpg
    102_1400_zps61bd3c57.jpg

Very happy with it and can't wait to get out on it once it's complete!
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Lovely, but I does look weird with the short forks...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • oxocube1
    Yea i agree! I was looking for a set of 120mm forks for it but I've had to put that on hold for the time being due to money constraints! It rides surprisingly well with short travel though, and is really easy to flick about on the trails. It accelerates so much faster than the Spesh due to the lower weight. I mainly use it for riding to work at the moment but get out on the trails occasionally and its a nice change from the Full Suss every now and then.

Here's the most recent shoddy phone pic i got of it:

IMG_1268_zps6556114e.jpg
  • Lewis A
    The grips almost perfectly match the frame!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Are they the darker or lighter of the two Superstar blues?
  • Lewis A
    I belive (hope, as I just bought normal blue!) that they are dark blue.
  • oxocube1
    They are the just the 'blue' on the list of colours of the Supagripa Grips, so not the 'dark blue'.

And yea they are accidentally very close to being the same colour as the frame!
  • Lewis A
    May just look darker in pics, mine are much brighter!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    oxocube1 wrote:
    They are the just the 'blue' on the list of colours of the Supagripa Grips, so not the 'dark blue'.

And yea they are accidentally very close to being the same colour as the frame!

Cheers.
  • oxocube1
    Unfortunately the time has come and I am now selling this bike. The sell thread is here.

I literally never use it anymore and haven only done 4 rides to work on it in the past 6 months! It will be better off in the hands of someone who will actually use it!

IMG_1984_zps33101023.jpg