Headgear when its raining?

bigpikle
bigpikle Posts: 1,690
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
Looking for something to wear under a helmet when its chucking it down. I used to use a cotton cycling cap but the peak really annoyed me and just kept popping back down, meaning I ended up straining my neck all the time to see out from under it!

I'd like something like the Vulpine Storm cap (pretty water proof, fairly breathable & good for colder spring etc) but I'm not sure about the peak again, given its not designed to fold up at all. It does look a little like you could wear it further back on the head so the peak doesnt extend like a normal cycling cap, but I'm not sure? I've got several skullcaps and while they are warm and comfortable, they dont really cut it when its chucking it down for any length of time. It also needs to come in a fairly big size as I've got a big bonce and some elasticated caps really get uncomfortable after a while :(

Any suggestions please?
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Assos stinger
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Turn your cap backwards
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Cycling cap with the peak down. The peak keeps the rain out of your eyes.

If the peak is obscuring your view then it is either unusually long or the cap is pulled too far down your forehead.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    daviesee wrote:

If the peak is obscuring your view then it is either unusually long or the cap is pulled too far down your forehead.

+1
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    daviesee wrote:

yep I use a cap too and sometimes takes me a few goes to get it where I want so I stop the rain but can still see ok
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    bike-umbrella.jpg
    tick - tick - tick
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    daviesee wrote:
    This. But you don't want the peak? What exactly do you want your hat to do for you?
  • ads2k
    ads2k Posts: 135
    Get one of the Lazer helmets with the 'add' on Aeroshell cover :D .

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=80717 with this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=65995

That is my thoughts on which helmet for next winter..
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    One of these under the helmet. Or on it's own. With clothing. Unless it's Naked Bike Ride Day.
    Assos-Rain-Cap.jpg
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I use the cap underneath. If the peak is annoying you - cut it off ?
    But I think adjusting it properly is a better idea if you can.
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    Tom Dean wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    This. But you don't want the peak? What exactly do you want your hat to do for you?
    I was thinking the same. Surely your head will get wet from sweat anyway so why the need to use a hat to keep the rain out. To keep warmth in, that's a different thing however...