Gear indexing

snoopsmydogg
snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
So I finished the new build last night and put all new cables and outers on but seem to be having issues with indexing on the rear cassette (xt mech, deore shifter & SRAM cassette).

The shifter will go up the gears (big to small rings) absolutely fine and will go from 9-8-7 & 4-3-2-1 fine too, the issue I'm having is changing between 7-6-5-4 as the change seems to take a long time to happen and no amount of adjustment with the shifter screw makes a difference.

Any thoughts on what to try next? I used the mech with an 8 speed setup recently with no issues so I don't think it's that.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    poor cable routing.
    and check aligment.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • snoopsmydogg
    cable routing should be fine, the frame takes full outers and I didnt need to cut to size. Will have a look again at alignment but it seemed ok last night (steel frame so no replaceable hanger)

113e338e-16b4-4201-976c-276a461b5d56_zps39ccf271.jpg

Does that look ok for routing?
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Have you given chance for the inner and outer to settle? Meaning the end caps have pulled in, the anchor pulled in.

I have had this a couple of times. What I have found is to remove the cable right off the mech, then come back to it fresh after an hour or so and start from scratch.
  • snoopsmydogg
    Not sure there was anything to settle, the outer was one piece with metal end caps fitted but just in case I have been out and bought some more cable outer (was the only part I didnt buy new yesterday as I had it lying around).

Hopefully this will do the job and I can get it sorted tonight, otherwise it could be a trip to the lbs to get the rear hanger checked
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Just sounds like the inners sticking on the outer. Quite common. Having full outers from the shifters to the derailleur certainly doesn't help, which is why most modern frames have stops to allow you to have exposed sections of cable to reduce friction. Greasing the inners might help.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    was going to ask if you put a drop of lube on the inners before routing?
  • snoopsmydogg
    Problem solved :) fitted the new outer tonight and lubed the cable including a drop in each end cap just in case. A few tweaks and running nicely now.

Thanks for the help