Brand New Mavic Krysium Elites (2011) - Bearing noise?

MattyDeez
MattyDeez Posts: 54
edited March 2013 in Workshop
My front bearing is like a metal on metal scratching noise, it's high pitched as well. What is this?

An overtightened bearing?

The wheel doesn't stop by it's self so, nothing is slowing it down. It comes and goes, its not all the time.

Comments

• mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    MattyDeez wrote:
    My front bearing is like a metal on metal scratching noise, it's high pitched as well. What is this?

An overtightened bearing?

The wheel doesn't stop by it's self so, nothing is slowing it down. It comes and goes, its not all the time.

Are these the ones with the plastic bearing covers that take the QRM spanner? If you remove the bearing covers (easy job, check the service manuals/YouTube) you may see a small set of letters raised above the plastic surface, they are moulded into the cover.

I think these can rub against the metal surface of the hub. Try spinning the wheel and pressing on the bearing cover in various places and the noise will get louder if you're pressing over the letters. That's what it was on a pair of mine. It went away as the plastic lost its fight with the metal hub.

You can also sometimes get it to appear/go away by changing the bearing preload/QR tightness, as that squeezes/releases the cap fractionally. Although be careful, as you want to make sure the bearings are correctly loaded.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    I had exactly the same problem and as suggested above, it's almost certainly something trapped between the 'hub caps' (so to speak!) and the hub/bearings underneath. Not sure about the lettering mike speaks of, but mine just seemed to be some dirt or grit because after a good clean the noise completely disappeared.

It's a pretty simple process, but you'll need the little Mavic spoke key/bearing pre-tensioner tool that looks like this:

TL248F00.jpg

To clean them:

(1) Remove the wheel and take out the QR skewer.
    (2) Use the Mavic tool to hold one 'hub cap', whilst on the other side insert a 5mm(?) hex key into the axle and unscrew.
    (3) Once removed you should be able to see the bearings and hub inners on both sides. Clean the area thoroughly along with the insides of the hub caps and axle sleeve.
    (4) Grease axle sleeve appropriately and reassemble!
  • MattyDeez
    MattyDeez Posts: 54
    Im afraid of doing this as i've never done it before!

I will give it a whirl at some point though when i have time.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    MattyDeez wrote:

If they are brand new take them back and ask for them to be replaced. New items should not need adjusting/cleaning etc.

A company such as Mavic will surely replace them no problem.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I had some Elites with the same noise. I lost the plastic mavic tools so bought some off eaby. By the time they arrived the noise had gone.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    smidsy wrote:
    MattyDeez wrote:

If they are brand new take them back and ask for them to be replaced. New items should not need adjusting/cleaning etc.

A company such as Mavic will surely replace them no problem.

If you've just ridden a new set of wheels through all the crap on the roads at the moment, I'd expect the shop to be a bit miffed if you bring the back moaning that they need a clean! Admittedly this is down to a bit of a poor design (the massive spoke holes make it quite easy for dirt/grit to get under the hubcaps) but still, it's a very easy fix that requires basically zero mechanical expertise.
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    I had some Elites with the same noise. I lost the plastic mavic tools so bought some off eaby. By the time they arrived the noise had gone.

Yeah, the noise and mine came and went and eventually I stripped them down and found all sorts in there! Might be worth giving them a clean when the roads clear up a bit so that there's no undue wear over summer.

This video shows you how to disassemble them (and change the bearings if desired), it's for Mavic Crossmax wheels, but the process is exactly the same.