How flat is the Ride London 100 likely to be?

2»

Comments

• Hi,

If anyone is interested in a bit more detail on the RideLondon route, I did an analysis on my blog. Taking the official summary route, I plotted a route based on my knowledge of the area and the requirement for roads wide enough to accommodate 20k people (though presumably not in a single peleton...)

The consensus view amongst readers of my piece was that Leith Hill and the approach is much more challenging than Box Hill (even despite the 28% gradient suggested by a glitch in the Google Maps data).

Despite that, the overall volume of climbing seems pretty low. A sportive I'm doing in the Peaks next month does the same amount of climbing in less than half the distance.

Still, I will be using a 28-12 and not a cassette that starts with the number 23...

If you'd like to read my post, it's at: http://grimpeurheureux.com/ridelondon-1 ... the-route/
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    As I had a meeting in Surrey today, I brought my winter training bike down to do a recce ride up both Leith and Box Hill.

Leith Hill I would describe (by my standards) as a moderately steep climb with a couple of steep ramps in it, however I will still treat it with some respect on the RL100 and shall ensure that I have sufficient energy in ready for that climb. I climb it twice on a 39x23 gear and this is a heavier bike than I shall use on the event. On the first climb I stood on the pedals for the steeper sections and the second accent I was able to ride the whole hill seated in a smooth climbing style.

Box Hill in comparison is a consistent, steady climb and as bikergirl17 I think previously stated, I was able to big ring it twice on a 50x23 gear!