Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

Are charity related events frowned upon in this forum ?

VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
edited March 2013 in Road general
I posted last night about an item for a fellow forum user to sell on here with all the money going to his charity yet the post was deleted. I've searched and also used the main search function but can't find it.
I know you can't openly advertise on a forum but surely this is acceptable ?

Btw, I posted in this section (the original post) as I felt it more likely than people would view it.
Living MY dream.
«1

Posts

  • pipipipipipi Posts: 332
    Have you read the t&c?
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 15,959
    The For Sale and Wanted forum is for things to be sold and wanted. What would be the point of having it if everyone posted their items for sale here because they "felt it more likely tha(t?) people would view it"? It's pretty straightforward.

    The rules do apply to you you know :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    If I was selling the item for my own cash then fine, if selling for a charitable status then I would suggest the most impact gets my vote.
    Some of you people are freakin odd, I'm so glad I don't have you as friends.
    Living MY dream.
  • danlikesbikesdanlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    No charity events are not frowned upon as there are a few in the road general section as we speak but the posters were not openly advertising the charity hence I assume nobody reporting it and it being removed. Their posts are more about their "journey" with a link to a justgiving or other type page.

    Putting anything like it in the sale/wanted/buying advice will get it seen but for all the wrong reasons & users or the mods will quite rightly pick you up for it.

    Perhaps facebook or twitter would be a better place to try and generate some income for your friend as social media seems to work very well for these sorts of causes.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 15,959
    Lots of people do things for charity. It's nice but it isn't a reason to post things for sale here.

    It gets to a point that surely you must realise that if everyone disagrees with you then maybe it is you that is odd (ie not conforming the norm which is what 'odd' really means)! Funny thing is, you probably already hate loads of people on here. I'm quite outspoken - people on here have annoyed me and I am sure I have annoyed them yet I don't think for one minute that that means I wouldn't like them in person - I'm open minded to it. Internet isn't the same as real life - you should try to understand this though probably, you'll hate me for having said this! :lol:

    Try to stop over-reacting to everything!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • flasherflasher Posts: 1,627
    Ask the team:

    viewforum.php?f=40033
  • BobbinogsBobbinogs Posts: 4,928
    Rolf F wrote:
    Lots of people do things for charity. It's nice but it isn't a reason to post things for sale here.

    Good point, well made.
  • VTech wrote:
    Some of you people are freakin odd, I'm so glad I don't have you as friends.

    How old are you? 12?! :roll:
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

    Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    A guy on here, a valid forum member is doing an event for charity, I didn't think there was a big take up on it so decided to help a little and then managed to get a decent gift to see if anyone here wanted it with the money going to his charity ride. I don't even know the bloke, I just like the idea of helping others.

    I can't believe anyone would argue with that, even against me. It is dispicable to argue against anyone doing something for the good of others but I must admit I thought that it would be the case here.
    I'm sad for so many of you guys.
    Living MY dream.
  • steerpikesteerpike Posts: 424
    VTech wrote:
    A guy on here, a valid forum member is doing an event for charity, I didn't think there was a big take up on it so decided to help a little and then managed to get a decent gift to see if anyone here wanted it with the money going to his charity ride. I don't even know the bloke, I just like the idea of helping others.

    I can't believe anyone would argue with that, even against me. It is dispicable to argue against anyone doing something for the good of others but I must admit I thought that it would be the case here.
    I'm sad for so many of you guys.
    I'd say a good 45% of the forum now understands you to be what you are:-

    a) a first rate troll
    or
    b) a complete [email protected]

    The sooner the remaining 55% realise ( and it won't be long) then it's time to say bye.
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    Boohoo. Now I'm upset.
    Living MY dream.
  • pipipipipipi Posts: 332
    Hey, I haven't got an axe to grind, but you were wondering why a post got pulled. So I asked if you have read the rules?

    Good luck with the charity event!
  • AnneBrAnneBr Posts: 4
    Pretty obviously the place to put something for sale is in the For Sale section.

    If you are also wanting to raise awareness that this item is being sold for a charitable cause then you cross post here giving some background to the reason you want everyone to see it and then link to the for sale thread in the For Sale forum.

    That way you get better exposure by the fact you pick up the people actively looking at the For Sale section and those of us here who are just passing some time.

    Don't get so weirded out by us normal people. :)
  • iPeteiPete Posts: 6,076
    take a step back, think how you can integrate the sale into the guys charity thread and try again. throwing toys out the pram isn't going to help...
  • danlikesbikesdanlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    VTech wrote:
    A guy on here, a valid forum member is doing an event for charity, I didn't think there was a big take up on it so decided to help a little and then managed to get a decent gift to see if anyone here wanted it with the money going to his charity ride. I don't even know the bloke, I just like the idea of helping others.

    I can't believe anyone would argue with that, even against me. It is dispicable to argue against anyone doing something for the good of others but I must admit I thought that it would be the case here.
    I'm sad for so many of you guys.

    Vtec if it were a valid BR forum member do you not think that the reason they had not plugged themselves in the sales forum might give a clue that they knew it would get canned?

    As I said I like your style for trying to promote what is a good cause, but blatant advertising is just going to get pulled if not by the mods then by other members reporting it simple for being in the wrong section and mods then canning your whole post.

    Check out the road general forum and you will see a few posts that are from riders doing a good deed but they are not advertising their charity directly more pointing out their challenge and putting a link as a footer. Much less offensive and much less likely to get pulled.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    VTech wrote:
    A guy on here, a valid forum member is doing an event for charity, I didn't think there was a big take up on it so decided to help a little and then managed to get a decent gift to see if anyone here wanted it with the money going to his charity ride. I don't even know the bloke, I just like the idea of helping others.

    I can't believe anyone would argue with that, even against me. It is dispicable to argue against anyone doing something for the good of others but I must admit I thought that it would be the case here.
    I'm sad for so many of you guys.

    Vtec if it were a valid BR forum member do you not think that the reason they had not plugged themselves in the sales forum might give a clue that they knew it would get canned?

    As I said I like your style for trying to promote what is a good cause, but blatant advertising is just going to get pulled if not by the mods then by other members reporting it simple for being in the wrong section and mods then canning your whole post.

    Check out the road general forum and you will see a few posts that are from riders doing a good deed but they are not advertising their charity directly more pointing out their challenge and putting a link as a footer. Much less offensive and much less likely to get pulled.


    Thanks for the reply, all anyone had to do was be decent about it and sorry to pipini, I took it the wrong way.

    If indeed the post was pulled because someone here reported me, well that's just shocking. Why not have the courage to be open about it ?
    I would have thought that with so many decent people here doing charity events it wouldn't be an issue to post up an item for sale. I had check sales but there is parts and bikes section and nothing relating to such a topic that I can see.

    How is it that no matter what good is done here, people will always be on the negative and downright abusive side of life. I pity you, I really do.
    Living MY dream.
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 81,520 Lives Here
    VTech

    things to be aware of.

    Post in the correct forum.

    what had this topic got to do with Buying advice?

    dont post "adverts" in Buying advice.

    actually give some info in what you post rather than make it look like spam.

    the charity F1 jacket post was deleted due to many reasons.

    see above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    nicklouse wrote:
    VTech

    things to be aware of.

    Post in the correct forum.

    what had this topic got to do with Buying advice?

    dont post "adverts" in Buying advice.

    actually give some info in what you post rather than make it look like spam.

    the charity F1 jacket post was deleted due to many reasons.

    see above.


    Why not have the decency to message me about it then?
    I posted in that section to get attention to the item, I explained that very clearly.
    The item was a charitable item, in most walks of life outside of the standard realm of political protocols.
    Living MY dream.
  • bazzer2bazzer2 Posts: 189
    VTech, what makes you any different to anyone else? Respect the rules and stop whining!

    Remember how much you're actually paying for the use of the forum, too.
  • If we keep this going we may still be alive when the sun comes up at which point we'll all be saved. Hooray!
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    bazzer2 wrote:
    VTech, what makes you any different to anyone else? Respect the rules and stop whining!

    Remember how much you're actually paying for the use of the forum, too.

    Im not any different ? no idea why you would post that. I made a comment based on a fact, the fact is that you are not allowed to promote charitable activities on this forum. I have accepted that and although I dont agree that it is a good move on behalf of the forum or the members I have took that in.
    What I struggle to accept is the brazen approach by some forum users with regards to my issue.

    If the replies were along the lines of that from Pipini, I would have been fine with it, in fact I am still fine with it, I just dont think it right but hey, It may well be me.
    Living MY dream.
  • bazzer2bazzer2 Posts: 189
    You're over reacting. Simply put, read the rules. When you want to sell something, use the proper place for it. Cash changes hands, it's a transaction, it's a sale. Just because a charidee gets some of the money doesn't mean rules are set aside.

    "I'm doing a sponsored 'sit in a bath full of baked beans' and I'm doing it in Fulham High Street all day Saturday. Block the road off or you are causing cancer"... etc, etc.
  • heez29heez29 Posts: 612
    Lol.

    Posts something for sale in "buying advice" then moans why it was deleted.

    Read the rules, then you will understand why your post/topic got deleted.



    Off topic, are you French?
  • bernithebikerbernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    heez29 wrote:
    Lol.

    Posts something for sale in "buying advice" then moans why it was deleted.

    Read the rules, then you will understand why your post/topic got deleted.



    Off topic, are you French?

    Why would he be French? Did he retire at 52?
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    I cant seem to make this point more clearer so ill try again.

    I made a comment based on a fact, the fact is that you are not allowed to promote charitable activities on this forum. I have accepted that and although I dont agree that it is a good move on behalf of the forum or the members I have took that in.
    What I struggle to accept is the brazen approach by some forum users with regards to my issue.

    If the replies were along the lines of that from Pipini, I would have been fine with it, in fact I am still fine with it, I just dont think it right but hey, It may well be me.

    Im not french either.
    Living MY dream.
  • ProssPross Posts: 23,904
    I didn't see the original post but the one you have just put up seems perfectly reasonable. It's often just worth a quick check first though and I'm sure then the powers that be won't mind.
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 15,959
    VTech wrote:
    I cant seem to make this point more clearer so ill try again.

    I made a comment based on a fact, the fact is that you are not allowed to promote charitable activities on this forum. I have accepted that and although I dont agree that it is a good move on behalf of the forum or the members I have took that in.

    You make your point very clearly - the problem is that you don't understand what others are saying very clearly. You are allowed to promote charitable activities on this forum (I did myself a few years back when I rode 10,000 miles in one year for Water Aid). What you are not allowed to do is post things for sale outside of the for sale section.

    So, why do you find it so hard to understand that
    a) You can promote charitable activities on this forum
    b) but they have to be in appropriate sub forums. This means that if it is an item for sale, it goes in the For sale section. If it is a wacky activitiy like going for a bicycle ride without a turbo attached to the back wheel, then you can put it somewhere else appropriate like the Road General and/or Cake Stop sections. This is why there are sub forums - so that people can post appropriate topics in appropriate forums. Why is it only you that struggles so much with this concept? Do you have these sort of communication problems in the real world at all?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pickled PigPickled Pig Posts: 233
    VTech wrote:
    What I struggle to accept is the brazen approach by some forum users with regards to my issue.

    The approaches, none of which I would call brazen*, result from you failing to understand something which is so unambiguously clear. No one is upset by your mistake in posting in the wrong forum. What is difficult to understand is why you feel the forum rules should be waived for you and why you so readily have to resort to insulting people who don't agree with you.

    *Brazen: Adjective; Bold and without shame, impudent, impertinent. Do you think you are owed respect by other forum members as well as special dispensation from the forum rules? Have a look at this :wink:
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    No, because I have now posted 2 times, YES TWO TIMES confirming that I have accepted the rule and moved on.
    I think its crazy and people who do good work should be able to post where it is most effective when it is for charity but thats only my opinion.
    I cant see why you guys are still insisting I should listen to forum rules when I have made it incredibly clear that I have accepted it ?
    Living MY dream.
  • fast as fuppfast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Bob Loblaw
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
This discussion has been closed.