Saw this in my Twitter feed & it made me laugh

danlikesbikes
danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
edited March 2013 in Pro race
Just a tweet regarding sky and their riding style (I'm not saying thats a bad thing before this descends into anarchy).

It just made me laugh after reading the Sky train thread viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12909829
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

Comments

• neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    Don't know how to post the twiiter feed but read on Knees twitter that Cataldo was concerened that his SRM wasn't working yesterday because he had no power output. Knees reminded him that the were using compact chainset so didn't have the power cranks on.

Think SKY did an ok job controlling things with no power meter yesterday.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,743
    That Simone Warner speaks a lot of sense, she should join this forum.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Pross wrote:
    That Simone Warner speaks a lot of sense, she should join this forum.

Or "Simone Warner, presented by Sky" as I call her :P
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Iain, I just heard on the race radio that you were multi-trolling again

Spreading your talents thinly, you know
  • Pross
    Yeah, you need to get your lead out train to troll for you until you get right to the finish.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    He's squandered his resources on extravagant one-season contract wonders, and has yet to build alliances in the bunch. Hence the early-period Voeckler nature of recent trolling. :D
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I bet a lot of you started watching the sport due to the heroics and beauty of the race.

I wonder what will entice people to start watching now or 10 years time. And I don't count the jingos who watch whatever sport UK excels in.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    I started watching to see people doing it better than me - this still applies. I like to see the breakaway win occasionally but if they won all the time that would be equally boring. For me the excitement is in discovering if it's a day for the one off attacking rider or for the calculated scientific approach (whether in the mountains or on the flat). Not sure what it has to do with this thread though.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I wouldn't get too depressed Frenchie. I shouldn't think the ratio of "heroic" performances to the boring stages is that different now to how it used to be.

Even in the last couple of years we've seen some great days of racing, any of which would sit happily among the stories of epic wins from the past.

De Gendt's win on the Stelvio (2012 Giro)
    Contador's solo escape (2012 Vuelta)
    Schleck's win up the Galibier (2011 Tour)
    Boonen's 2012 Roubaix win
    J Rod winning Lombardia in the pissing rain (2012)
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • danlikesbikes
    neonriver wrote:
    Don't know how to post the twiiter feed but read on Knees twitter that Cataldo was concerened that his SRM wasn't working yesterday because he had no power output. Knees reminded him that the were using compact chainset so didn't have the power cranks on.

Think SKY did an ok job controlling things with no power meter yesterday.

DId mine as a screen shot from my Iphone then pushed over to my Mac. As we are restricted on the pixel size we can directly post I reduced it from the original photo to make sure BR would allow it to be posted, the advantage being that you don't have to crop a photo to size just the viewable image with scroll enabled.

But yeah they certainly did seem to go a good job.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • danlikesbikes
    edited March 2013
    I bet a lot of you started watching the sport due to the heroics and beauty of the race.

I wonder what will entice people to start watching now or 10 years time. And I don't count the jingos who watch whatever sport UK excels in.

FF your right I did start watching because of that. I take it think that racing is somewhat boring these days sorry if I missed something? I do think the Sky train can be a bit boring to watch at times, even if you take out the results that I think they are worthy of, however i think that this actually ad's to my viewing enjoyment. That is simply as if they race the TDF or any other large race the same way as last year everyone knows what to expect and you can bet that the attacks will be coming through thick and fast if people are fit enough. If those riders are not fit enough to break away then it doesn't really matter what Sky do though surly?

Sorry I'm not trying to start an argument with you either thats not my style, just asking the question.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Fortunately cycling is such a multi-level spectator sport that there is subtlety and beauty in even the most defensive of outcomes. I don't think I have ever watched a race that I haven't been able to get enjoyment out of...
  • frenchfighter

FF your right I did start watching because of that. I take it think that racing is somewhat boring these days sorry if I missed something? I do think the Sky train can be a bit boring to watch at times, even if you take out the results that I think they are worthy of, however i think that this actually ad's to my viewing enjoyment. That is simply as if they race the TDF or any other large race the same way as last year everyone knows what to expect and you can bet that the attacks will be coming through thick and fast if people are fit enough. If those riders are not fit enough to break away then it doesn't really matter what Sky do though surly?

Sorry I'm trying to start an argument with you either thats not my style, just asking the question.

You know there are always going to be people who enjoy different aspects of the sport and that is wonderful and positive. Personally I don't enjoy it as much as it is too structured, predictable and boring, but can see how some people would like it.

It is very hard for riders to break away from the train when the train is made up of talented riders.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • danlikesbikes
    Ok cheers Frenchie I get where your coming from.

Only been bike to watching road riding in the last few years (after a long break away from the sport) & personally I find it very exciting at the moment but have been fortunate to get out and watch a few of the spring classics so maybe I am a bit naive still.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I do sympathize with you FF since you're clearly passionate about the sport, but you do tend to create your own idea of the perfect race and decide that's how it always was. Cycling has been from day one incredibly nationalistic (not to mention regionistic) and corrupted, and this has been part of the joy of it! The greats you talk about used to buy and sell races (still do) and even your favorites are drug cheats so it's fine for you to love one aspect and hate another but accept the others have a different few. You can be incredibly patronizing of those that don't follow your gospel. Most of us here actually love the sport :D
  • frenchfighter
    Haha yeah I know. I'm not saying it was all guts and glory by any means but I notice a difference in the stage races even in the last few years which I don't like.

I understand and don't mind that others would enjoy it, I'm just giving my opinion.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • danlikesbikes
    At least TA is looking like its going to be fight to the end!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Haha yeah I know. I'm not saying it was all guts and glory by any means but I notice a difference in the stage races even in the last few years which I don't like.

I understand and don't mind that others would enjoy it, I'm just giving my opinion.

Frenchie, I think somebody rational has hacked your account :wink:
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,340
    With regards to the OP I thought this was going to be a mention of the marvelous and somehow much overlooked tweet from ascertain DrHeadgear yesterday, about getting PAIN and AQUA tattoos on his knuckles. Well I liked it....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • danlikesbikes
    With regards to the OP I thought this was going to be a mention of the marvelous and somehow much overlooked tweet from ascertain DrHeadgear yesterday, about getting PAIN and AQUA tattoos on his knuckles. Well I liked it....

Check the response from Simone Warner is a bit better IMHO
  • No_Ta_Doctor

:evil:
  • danlikesbikes

:evil:

Why mad at what I said?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,398
    You have to join the Sub Pro Race forum on twitter to know that *nerd snort*
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • danlikesbikes
    edited March 2013
    Oh I see.

Just thought the Twitter response was funny. Seeing a TT'er coming towards you with do one tattooed on their hands was an amusing image. Wasn't sure if I had stood on anyones toes when I saw the Evil/Very Mad emoji.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Clearly I'm the only one intelligent, suave, sophisticated, streetwise and handsome enough to properly get the PAIN and AQUA joke.

Simone's response was funny as well, but lacked the quasi-ironic neo-postmodernist texturing of the original, and didn't contain ANY Anglo-French puns at al, even bad ones.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,398
    Anglo Spanish even...

Zing!

;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    Well one thing is for sure, that guy should stop posting shi t about the Shark and watch today's stage.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ddraver wrote:
    Anglo Spanish even...

Zing!

;)

Sigh. I'm going to have to PAN you for that.