Spring Chicken road race crash

Scotsken
Scotsken Posts: 19
edited March 2013 in Amateur race
Does anyone know the guy who crashed in the final km's of the Spring Chicken on Saturday? It looked pretty nasty, was he ok?

He must have been near the front of the bunch and I was nearer the back so I saw him pile in at high speed. I feel pretty guilty for not stopping to help him. I dithered for a few seconds which was enough to get dropped by the bunch and have no chance at having a go in the sprint.

What is the etiquette here? We had a minutes silence at the start of the race for the lad who sadly died last weekend then someone else potentially breaks their neck and no-one seemed to give a toss.

My mates advice was just race on as you could cause another crash by stopping which does seem like sound advice but I'd welcome other racers thoughts?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I guess your sentiment is correct, but presumably the medics were nearby anyway - and what realistically could you have done if you had stopped - unless you are first aid/medically-trained? Pulling up might have caused more problems, potentially...
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I didnt hear there was a crash in the spring chicken, I watched the E/1/2's race which was good. There was a crash with 3 riders on the last lap, but all got up and rode to the finish line.

They supplied out 50 wheels apparently.. pothole city!!
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    In a race I'd suggest carrying on, if you stop and the guy behind you doesn't then you cause another crash. There are medical staff employed to deal with a crash.
    If it was a club run or just another cyclist out and about then absolutely stop yes
  • Hey guys, that was me what crashed!

Thanks for your concern. I'm good, just road rash and bruising.
    The main thing is that the bike is ok :P

I don't suppose anyone saw what happened?
    The last thing I remember is seeing #27 get way too close. I know that is wasn't intentional, but I think either they bumped my handlebars into a wobble or our wheels bumped at high speed (cos it's a bit bent now!) then hit a pothole and then the floor!

I'm not pointing the finger of blame at them because I'm not certain it was them and I can't prove anything. I'm not mad at them and I'm not after any cash from them, I just want to know what happened!

Glad I didn't cause another accident on the way down, and again: appreciate the sentiment of stopping, but the medic car was right behind the group. I just remembered thinking OHH SHIIIIII!!! then getting scraped off the road by Pete the first aider!

Cheers, Jez
  • Scotsken
    Scotsken Posts: 19
    Glad to hear you're okay Jez i guess it looked worse than it was...

Yes, I can see how carrying on is the best option but as a member of the emergency services and a former soldier I guess the instinct was to try and help in some way.

No idea what caused it dude, the first I noticed was when you were cartwheeling down the road...
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Never look back when there's a crash behind you. As has been mentioned already, this is often the cause of a second crash.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Agree with Herbsman. Keep your eyes on the riders in front and leave it to the support crew to pick up the rider (unless perhaps you're a doctor), your responsibility as a rider is to get away from the crash quickly without causing another one.

Good to hear you're alright Jez.
  • Jez, I had a great view of the crash as I was the rider behind you! That section of road was shocking for pot-holes, the rider in front of you was #27, there appeared to be a bit of wheel overlap between them and you with you sat behind and to the right. It appeared they swerved slightly to the right to avoid a pot-hole and their rear made contact with your front pushing it out from under you. I was sat behind and slightly to your right and managed to move further right to avoid you. That part of the bunch was fairly strung out so riders behind had room to avoid you.

Glad you weren't too badly hurt, it looked nasty as you went down.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Just ride on nothing you can do. And anyone who's been in a race with a crash in and hasn't secretly thought that "least the bunch has thinned out a bit" is a liar :o
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    DavidJB wrote:
    Just ride on nothing you can do. And anyone who's been in a race with a crash in and hasn't secretly thought that "least the bunch has thinned out a bit" is a liar :o

that depends if the crash was behind you or not !

Seriously, its crazy to even think about stopping, push harder on the pedals and dont look at anything accept where you want to go!
    There is nothing you can do and thats why every race has a 1st aider.

If its bad, the comms will stop the race.
  • Jez, I had a great view of the crash as I was the rider behind you! That section of road was shocking for pot-holes, the rider in front of you was #27, there appeared to be a bit of wheel overlap between them and you with you sat behind and to the right. It appeared they swerved slightly to the right to avoid a pot-hole and their rear made contact with your front pushing it out from under you. I was sat behind and slightly to your right and managed to move further right to avoid you. That part of the bunch was fairly strung out so riders behind had room to avoid you.

Glad you weren't too badly hurt, it looked nasty as you went down.

I'm glad it looked so dramatic! Got my wheels back from getting trued up today, they're fine. Just got a bit of a dent in one of the front spokes, I guess that's where a wheel skewer or derailleur must have hit it. Apart from the destroyed helmet, I can't believe I only got away with a scuff to the rear QR, brake hood and one spoke! Not bad for 25mph. Looking at the garmin data, I think I got KO'd for about half a minute. My head is still hell'a sore!

According to the start sheet it was the only woman rider in the race... there are times when being a babe magnet can be tough! :mrgreen:
    Nah, I should have been on my toes a bit more. I must have lost concentration because the finish line was coming up, I was feeling strong and I was trying to spot the best place to make a move!