How Fast have youbeen on your bike ?

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Herb71 wrote:
    My claim is 53 down Beachy Head (why did you say 52mph Herb71 ?).

Why? Because that was the max I saw on the computer during the Etape Pennines! Seems to be realistic. The fastest I had ever seen prior to that ride was 44 mph.

I didn't want to be accused of 'one-upmanship'. Okay, i've been faster then you :D S'pose if you take ou the +/- discrepancy of 5% due to technical inaccuracies, you win, or I win by lots more. That will leave our egos intact, unlike Mr Harris/Bigbee/Speed_King et al.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • When i press a special button on my bike, i can suddenly & without warning be launched into hyperspeed. Garmin doesn't appear to be able to measure this.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    does drafting trucks count is that cheating?

if not...43mph
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • I have maxxed out at 55.6 MPH going down the north side of Cairn 0'Mount in Aberdeenshire. I met a Range Rover coming the other way on my side of the road on a bend. We both survived but I thought I heard gravel type sounds behind me as he rapidly swapped sides. That was on my Spesh Alez Comp.

I also did 83KPH down the north side of The Lecht on my tourer with full rear panniers. That was scary, especially as my rear tyre blew off the rim a few days later. The flash backs were mind blowing.

PS. I have been down Kirkstone Pass a few times and it is not a 77 MPH decent. There are too many awkward bends and not particularly good road surface to risk that even if you could get up to that speed. I seem to remember my top speed being around 42 mph on the FWC one year. If you came off at that speed and hit a dry stone wall, they would need a bucket to take you home in.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • 61mph Slack hill near Matlock. Never again!!!
  • phippss wrote:
    61mph Slack hill near Matlock. Never again!!!

Yes. I've driven down this a few times and wondered... A friend of mine didn't even pedal when he set off down it. In his words "what was the point?"

http://goo.gl/maps/OVhhb
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • hmmm as with many things in life, the length of a hill is much less important than its gradient. Im not sure this one is steep enough for a really fast decent. Having said that it is a good candidate for a tailwind.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    51mph, Kate's Cottage to the Creg with the mother of all tail winds.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    andi1363 wrote:
    49 down Streatley into Goring!

Did 46mph down there once, frightening acceleration at the top ! Thought it best to slow down when the wind started to make my eyes water so much that I couldn't see properly !! :shock:

(Great fun though :D )
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    MattC59 wrote:
    andi1363 wrote:
    49 down Streatley into Goring!

Did 46mph down there once, frightening acceleration at the top ! Thought it best to slow down when the wind started to make my eyes water so much that I couldn't see properly !! :shock:

(Great fun though :D )

The adverse bumpy camber bit is a test of stupidity though isn't it? :oops: :lol:
  • Bottled it at 44mph on a long downhill stretch with tailwind.

I've got a very wide safety margin, absolutely no way you'd catch me doing 60mph on a push bike; I used to ride motorcycles, and I've been down the road at 60mph wearing full leathers with body armour and a full face lid. Landed hands first and did a collarbone (again), then headbutted the tarmac and broke my nose, dislocated my jaw, and popped the second vertebrae in my neck. Shredded my leathers.

Don't fancy repeating it in nothing but lycra and a helmet made predominantly of holes.
  • fevmeister
    fevmeister Posts: 353
    38 mph so far!
  • ror3h
    ror3h Posts: 68
    52.6 mph down from Long Hill into the Goyt Valley on monday. Scary stuff, don't think I'd fancy going that fast again!
  • markrst1
    markrst1 Posts: 191
    37 mph then took a corner that was alot longer than what it seems in a car. Brown pants time for me. :shock:
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    30 mph on my 30th. 40 mph when I was 40. On my 50th did 50mph, 60=60mph. Missed out 70 because I forgot. On my 73d b'day did 73mph. just done 90mph on my 90th. On an mtb.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    ......a 60yr old mtb that is.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    51mph, Kate's Cottage to the Creg with the mother of all tail winds.

That's where I got mine in the 1990 Mannin Veg road race. I went to the limit of my computer which I think was 55mph and seemed to be getting faster, being on a completely closed road gave an advantage. Seeing the spokes I'd ripped out of my wheels earlier in the race when I finished made me consider what could have been!

EDIT Up thread I said 62mph but I can't recall it being that fast, it sort of makes sense that 100kph would be the max speed though.
  • ror3h wrote:
    52.6 mph down from Long Hill into the Goyt Valley on monday. Scary stuff, don't think I'd fancy going that fast again!

Lol I have been there Its an Awesome hill - on both sides of the valley
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    According to Strava, 97mph on a segment in richmond park on saturday.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • ror3h wrote:

you must have been at full speed at the bottom where the corner is - there is no flat section at the end of that hill.
  • Ticked over 60mph coming off Blakey Ridge towards Castleton in the NY Moors a few years back with a roaring tailwind. Chin was on the stem practically the whole way down.

And the 3 lads I was with pulled away from me!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    42 mph off road on a fireroad on my mountain bike was the most "interesting" fast decent I have done and it was not intended. I have not got near that on road yet due to only recently getting the brakes upgraded on my road bike so I can now trust them !
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    So fast that I was approaching the speed of light and time slowed down...
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Mikey23 wrote:
    So fast that I was approaching the speed of light and time slowed down...

Nah, that's just old age that does that Mikey :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    And repeating yourself...

Did I tell you I fell off my bike?
  • This thread would be much better if it was 'How fast were you going before falling off your bike'?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • https://youtu.be/K_PFeiJmHNE

The winner is this bloke - by a mile ;-)
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    After being bashed and buffeted by the wind in the Peak District yesterday, we finally got a tailwind on our way back into Sheffield. I gave it a dig and topped out at 50.6mph, averaging 44.9mph over nearly a mile. Huge fun after nearly being blown off the road earlier!

I've justified buying a Giro aero helmet now as without it I wouldn't have passed 50mph :lol:

FFDFA39E-98C1-4B4C-9A4B-5B51528AD69F_zpslhjpbfhq.png
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    41.6mph through Sandy Lane, Barbados

Way too fast for me as trying to stop at 18 stone is near on impossible inside 200 yards
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon