removing a stubborn freewheel

ian_67
ian_67 Posts: 4
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
The rear axle on my mtb sounds very gritty so I have decided to strip it down and regrease etc. However, the rear sprockets are labelled Simano MF-HG37- which I believe may be a screw on freewheel.

It is very reluctant to come off the bike. Any advice on how I can do this?

Thanks

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Surely you must know if it is being stubborn? One requires a chain whip the other doesn't. If it is screw on, put the tool in a vice and use the wheel as a spanner
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    ian_67 wrote:
    The rear axle on my mtb sounds very gritty so I have decided to strip it down and regrease etc. However, the rear sprockets are labelled Simano MF-HG37- which I believe may be a screw on freewheel.

It is very reluctant to come off the bike. Any advice on how I can do this?

Thanks

Ensure the tool is held securely in position by use of the quick release or similar. Place suitable sized spanner on the tool.
    Apply impact technology.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGliuVedT4D0bIMcaM7Ud8FI7-u8N3785QlDJZF9MW9BMjX98V
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Chunkers +1 - tool in vice, turn wheel.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Also spray plus gas on back of freewheel if it really tight. Turning in the vice is the only way either that or a pipe on the end of your spanner. These things self tighten over time.

Take to yor LBS they have it of in seconds and probably won't charge. I wouldn't and there are other shops like me that are not mercenary.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.