90s rockhopper restore?

theslowone
theslowone Posts: 57
edited March 2013 in The workshop
I have been looking for a knock around pub bike for a while but just remenbered an old rockhopper comp (ridged fork early 90s model) I have in the shed.
From a quick inspect it seems to need:

Complete drivetrain
Shifters (broken grip shifts)
bottom bracket
cables, brake blocks, etc

Actualy the rest of the bike seems ok (other than years of crud)

I have never taken on a project of this type before and was wondering if it would be worth the effort and cost involved. My inexperienced guess work reckons on about £200 for the job plus any tools required (although I already have the basics)
If anyone knows a good source for 2nd hand parts that would also help. The other half dosent agree with the n+1 rule and I have 4 functioning bikes already. Therfore I was thinking that a slow restore with a purchase as and when parts are cheap would prob slip under her radar. :wink:

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cheers cooldad I really had no idea.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Very easy, and some judicious buying should see you do it for a lot less that that, I have a GF Piranha I have as a retro and that started as a frame, forks, stem and bars and it's cost me about £75 to put together.

Many people have bits lying around that are too good to bin but not worth much each, find someone with more bits and you save on P&P!

Example I could do all on your list bar brakes from my 'Box O Bits'!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.