whats your first 10 mike TT time

gubber12345
gubber12345 Posts: 493
edited September 2013 in Amateur race
as the title says what was your first time trial time over 10 miles.

i've never done a TT but was hoping to get with the local club this yr who does them.my best time recorded by me on endomondo was just over 37 mins.

i'm pretty sure thats quite slow but whats your best time if you dont mind sharing.just wanna give myself a wee idea of what i'm up against and how much i will need to improve.
Lapierre Aircode 300
Merida

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not sure what anyone else's times will tell you - other than the probability that some will be faster, while others may be slower.

TT times will vary according to the course, the conditions, wind speed, wind direction, and who happens to be riding it. The last thing you should be worrying about in your first TT is other people's times.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    My best is 22:03 (last season), I started riding (and TT'ing) in 2010 and my first ever 10 was about a 27 on a road bike in road kit, but as above course and conditions play a big part
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Sub 25 is quick, sub 22 is very good, sub 20 is very very quick sub 19 is the holy grail :)
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    My club's New Year 10TT had times varying from about 25 mins to 35 mins - it's not a fast course, some people wore fancy dress and only a few were on TT bikes (and it's an undulating course with a poor surface) - but that gives you an idea of the range of speeds, which included several inexperienced TTers. At 37 minutes, you might find yourself quite a way off the pace in your regular local club TT if you have a go, but even if you are, it won't hurt anyone, and you'll know what the targets are. On the other hand, if you wanted to do a bit of training first, find out what the course is, ride it a few times, and see if you can find some results on the club website, so you can compare.
  • themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    My first 10 mile TT was a club event in 1963. I rode a Reynolds 531 Mercian with 10 speed huret gears with a Williams cottered chainset, Brooks saddle. Fiamme sprint rims with I think Dunlop tubs. I was 16 years old and did 28 minutes 54 seconds.
  • The best I can even hope to do on a 10 miler at the moment is 35-37 minutes. I've checked out my club's results - slowest finishers without a mechanical for the last 4 years is 28 minutes.

I've decided to enter all the TT's this season. My sole goal is to not come last at some point by the end of the year. Either way, I'm guaranteed 2 things - beating myself publically will be even more motivational than beating myself on Strava, and i'll have the record for slowest competitor in half a decade.

Have a good time on your first one, beat the previous best ever next one - got to be the way forward =)
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    My first time for a 10TT was 39 mins! I did get lost on the course and ended up doing 14 miles! Now down to mid 24m and looking to break into the 23s this season
  • gubber12345
    thanks guys all above posts duly noted and think i will enter away and see how i fair out....can only be last and as someone says just try and beat yourself and build on that..sounds like a plan.

will definitely try and get a bit of training in as well.

just looked the clubs rsults from last year and the slowest man was at 30.30 mins so i've got 7 mins to find somewhere but i'l have a go and try and enjoy it anyway.

the fastest was 22.31 so he's safe enough anyway :P :P :P
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    My first time was just under 30 minutes (which I think is often a first ride target) back in '89 on a cheap, heavy bike in baggy jersey. My PB is only 24.20 back in '93 (better bike, tri bars and skinsuit) but one of my targets was to beat it this season if my club run their 10 series this year! I've always struggled with the mental side of TTing and lose concentration, a sub-23 ride was well in my grasp when I was in my early 20s from a purely physical point of view.
  • gubber12345
    been out this morn and done it in 34.21 but there was an awful wind of 18mph,think about 3 of it was head on into the wind and the rest was tail wind but something to build on.

gotta say cycling into an 18mph wind is nearly as good as any hill climb lol
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    You will go faster with a number on your back - no point comparing training times to race times.
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    1st 10 TT was 29.45 in 2007 steadily got better to 22.02 both hurt exactly the same :lol:
  • joe.90
    joe.90 Posts: 171
    simon t wrote:
    1st 10 TT was 29.45 in 2007 steadily got better to 22.02 both hurt exactly the same :lol:

Ha, this is similar to me and very true!!
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    my first 10 was in 1987 when I was 15 on a Harry Hall 531

I did 27.32 on the Maidenhead Thicket course
  • Started in 2011, first 10 was a lone test run and was about 33m.
    First interclub was 28:33,all on a road bike.
    Adding a set of clip-ons got me straight away from 26:30's down to about 25.00.
    Finished first season with a PB 23:10 on a very fast course.

2012 season, still on (New, Carbon) road bike with clip-ons and pointy, improved all my course times by about 2 mins, but did not do the very fast course. Consequently my PB has only improved by 12 secs to 22:58 but did manage to win my club TT championship.

Seem to do better on hilly/sporting courses (which most of them are round here) than on the flat ones.
  • gubber12345
    thanks for sharing your times and experiences fellas...kinda looking forward now to getting my licence or whatever i need for over here,so emails have been sent yesterday making enquirys to the people who know so should get some positive info back early in the week.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    thanks for sharing your times and experiences fellas...kinda looking forward now to getting my licence or whatever i need for over here,so emails have been sent yesterday making enquirys to the people who know so should get some positive info back early in the week.

No need for a licence over here for TTs just join a CTT affiliated club

http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    27.01 on a sporting course - just go ride one and have fun I mean pain no no fun no just lots of pain and then you stop :-)
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • my first time was just over 31:00 on a not flat at all TT and i spent 10minutes pacing round almost losing my lunch :P
  • My first 10 mile TT was a 28:24 in May 2012, ridden on my road bike. I'm confident I can go under 26 minutes this year on the same setup.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    My first 10 was 29:58 :) Was hugely pleased to come in under 30 mins. Fastest time now down to 25:03 but I still rate that first attempt as one of my best.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    17:54
  • weedram
    weedram Posts: 41
    My young lad competed in his first ever 10M TT yesterday.

He won the Youth A prize with a time of 25.05 on a road bike with Youth A gearing (52x16 top gear) with clip-on ski's, non aero wheels and wearing his road club kit.

He now wants aero wheels!!
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Did a 26:17 on a course which was "cornish" flat (Which for alot of people means constant rolling hills). Came 7th on my road bike which I was pleased with and still looking for where to do the next.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    22.47 on the Club 10TT last September. Although Distance was more like 9.4 so probably around 25 for a full 10.
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    I remember the bloke telling me before i started "so long as you go sub 30 you have done well." Did it in 29:34, quite pleased all things considered.
    Good experience and i learned a lot from it, such as the importance of pacing and not going out too fast... :oops:

Heres the course:http://app.strava.com/segments/2241324
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • I did exactly 29.00 in my first one when I was 15. I'd got my PB down to 27.15 within a couple of years then gave up cycling for a long time. Then 20 years (almost to the day) after my first TT I started racing again and got exactly 29.00 again. Later that season I bought tri bars and tried a faster course and did 24.24, which is a massive improvement in a short space of time, but in the three seasons since then I've only beaten that time once.
  • mine was about 20.00 at age 15 in 1980, the club thought they had discovered a huge talent until we realised I didn't know the course and had inadvertantly taken a short cut ! Next one was about 30.00
  • 29.45 my first 19.58 my quickest
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Just found my first TT time...

31 minutes on a road bike! No pacing at all.
    26 minutes on the same course within a month - once I learned how to do a bit of pacing! (Still on a road bike).

Started doing 25's on that course once I got a TT bike.