Pre-race nerves

FODCADEMON
FODCADEMON Posts: 207
edited July 2013 in XC and Enduro
I am a sufferer. ON more than one occasion I have felt I have gone into a race terrified and, consequently not enjoyed or performed as well as I think I can. So, I was wondering if any of you lovely people have any cures for the pre-race terror...
Just ride.

Comments

• sskelly
    sskelly Posts: 79
    I get a slight feeling of nerves but I think that is good, it gets the adrenalin rushing.

The more you do the better it should get. I am quite relaxed now (I am a bit older and have done many, many events). I like to have a laugh and a joke with other competitors on the start line.

Ultimately you have to believe in yourself, if you know you can train well then you can ride in competition well.

I used to know a guy who used to get into almost a trance like state before road time trials, I used to have a natter, go for a warm-up and then focus on what I had to do.

Once the flag goes down or the starter says go you are effectively on your own(even if there are 40 others around). It is you and your machine.

BELIEVE....
  • Go in like I do... just do it for fun (and the t-shirt) lol!

I'm off to wentwood enduro on sunday, weather is shite (rain, windy and -1deg predicted) but I can't wait.
    Its the hardest ride I've ever done, but I tend to start at the back and stay there.

I should stick to DH, but I dunno, I get more nervous about entering a DH event than an XC one!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I always find the last few mins on the start line the most terrifying start - once i'm off i'm fine - but when i'm waiting my mind is running through whether I DID tighten that loose bolt / lock the car / oil the chain etc etc :lol: It's a huge relief once I actually set off!

I know people who have all these super-duper techniques to focus etc, but at the end of the day i'm not exactly a race winner, and although it's nice to get a pot i'm just in it for the fun, so I would rather just try and stay calm and chilled and give it my best shot :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • sskelly
    sskelly Posts: 79
    Go in like I do... just do it for fun (and the t-shirt) lol!

I'm off to wentwood enduro on sunday, weather is shite (rain, windy and -1deg predicted) but I can't wait.
    Its the hardest ride I've ever done, but I tend to start at the back and stay there.

I should stick to DH, but I dunno, I get more nervous about entering a DH event than an XC one!

I am at Wentwood Sunday as well. 3rd year in a row, bloody hard ride!
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    There is no easy fix & as others have said feeling a bit nervous is a good thing as it tells you your brain is working and worrying albeit a bit too much.

I try and focus on one thing that you want to do, or one thing your are V good at - climbing, technical downhill sections, fast single track. Pick one and think about how you are going to use that to your advantage.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    First couple of races I was quite nervous but it soon passes once the race starts, last race I had no nerves at all and I went off the start like a loon and got my best result.
  • sskelly wrote:
    Go in like I do... just do it for fun (and the t-shirt) lol!

I am at Wentwood Sunday as well. 3rd year in a row, bloody hard ride!

Good luck, I hate it :lol:
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I'll be doing my first ever race on the 20th April. Done cross country running events lots before and the nerves in the 10 minutes before the race are exciting so i have high hopes that i should be able to deal with this one :D
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I'm always nervous before an event. Having played competitive sport throughout my life it has never gone away - even though the only person I am performing for now is myself.

My usual pre race prep involves several trips to the portaloo...

As soon as the hooter goes though - and you power through the first corner, that seems to disappear.
  • ian220476
    ian220476 Posts: 164
    Grated raw carrot. Picked it up when reading a book about a sports dietician who worked with F1 drivers.

A lot of nerves is that funny stomach feeling - butterflies. It causes increased bathroom activity and feels rubbish. It is the stomach acid starting to bubble up caused by nerves. Raw carrot is hugely alkali and neutralises the acid. You'll always have nerves, but not the horrible sensation in your stomach.

I tried this before exams many years ago and really seemed to work. Sometime before a big ride I have it as well and maybes its a mental thing but it works for me. Being grated it is light weight, not stodgy and easy to take on board.

The same guy also said he gave drivs grated Parmesan cheese as the fats suppress toilet urges. Not sure if that is true or not but give it a whirl!!

Just enjoy yourself though and the nerves solo away!
    GT XC1 - the harder you ride it, the better it is

Stumpy FSR 2010 - Rides over everything and everyone