New Wheels for a Singlespeed

Stevo C
Stevo C Posts: 132
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
My daily commuter is a Genesis Flyer with the stock wheels and I commute 25 miles a day across London. After 5,000 miles in all weathers, it's starting to snap spokes at an alarming rate - 5 since Christmas.They always break at the bend - I've been happily replacing them, but now I've noticed that the front rim is badly scored, so I reckon it's time for some new wheels - summer is on it's way soon after all!

Does anyone have any recommendations? When I started looking I was keen on the Miche Primato/DP18 combo available from Planet X and V-Sprint. But, like all things bike related, I've got carried away and am now considering Goldtec hubs and Archetype rims.

My requirements:

£200 max
Used daily in all weathers, 25 miles a day across London
I'm 80kg, plus I'm normally carrying a bag full of stuff
I'm a wuss and ride singlespeed, not fixed - so will need a flip/flop hub

ta

Steve
cheers

Steve

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    Your spokes are fatigued, you need a rebuild... If your hubs are still good, keep them and rebuild on those... you are looking at 120 pounds all inclusive give or take... new hubs from Planet X (Novatec) are also quite cheap. Those single speed hubs are very durable and they have large bearings, easy to change for a few pounds
    left the forum March 2023
  • Stevo C
    The existing hubs are white, so they have to go :)

I'll have a look at the PX hubs now - thanks
    cheers

Steve
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I picked up a pair of Planet X Al30 wheels with a single speed flip flop hub. They've been great and zipped up my Singlecross no end (much better than the stock wheels it came with).

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPP ... k_wheelset
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Stevo C
    Luv2ride wrote:
    I picked up a pair of Planet X Al30 wheels with a single speed flip flop hub. They've been great and zipped up my Singlecross no end (much better than the stock wheels it came with).

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPP ... k_wheelset

I'd considered those a while ago, but they've been out of stock for ages - I think it's going to be the hand built route for me
    cheers

Steve
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    For £200 yo can have ambrosio flip flop hubs, Rigida chrina rim ans Sapim race spokes (it will cost less than £200 in fact). So long as your tyres are not wider than 25mm then you will have a very durable wheel if built right. I uded chrina rims (32 spoke) on my bike for a while and they are now on my wifes commutor and it does not matter what you run throgh on them they never seem to go out of true. The mavic A319 rim is another option as are ridiga options if widers tyres are used.

A wheel if built right for your needs will do 10,000 miles or more and not snap a spoke. Get a 32 spoke front and a 36 spoke rear as that will help with the load you carry. Err on more spokes rather than less for commutors.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Stevo C
    Well after reading Ugo's blog, I ordered a pair of Ambrosio Evolution rims from Planet X which have just turned up. I've also managed to get some Token track hubs via ebay. I'm just waiting for those to turn up and then I need to arrange getting them built up.
    cheers

Steve
  • I've just had a new commuting wheel set built by Arup Sen in SE London. They are On One track hubs on velocity a23's, using DT Alpine III spokes and are a lovely smooth ride. I'd highly reccommend Arup, he builds good wheels.

Tom
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    I was considering these of ebay, looking to swap mine for something a bit sportier.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310612341376

Im a big fella and like to ride fast so dont want something that will fall apart on me!
  • ugo.santalucia
    paul_mck wrote:
    I was considering these of ebay, looking to swap mine for something a bit sportier.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310612341376

Im a big fella and like to ride fast so dont want something that will fall apart on me!

They certainly look the part... the hubs look like Novatec track, which are OK, given the price the rims are likely to be on the cheap side, and at 40 mm that means each will weigh around 800 grams, which is nearly twice the weigh of a shallow rim.
    So sporty in the look, but not in the road behaviour. The wheelset is likely to be in excess of 2.5 Kg, which is absolutely fine if you use them for city riding, but it can be a bit of a drag if you use them in the countryside with ups and downs
  • paul_mck
    yes I use the bike for commuting (have a good bike for the bigger rides) just looking something a little sportier than the bundled wheels boardman supplied.

Think Ill give them a punt! Cheers.
  • ugo.santalucia
    paul_mck wrote:
    yes I use the bike for commuting (have a good bike for the bigger rides) just looking something a little sportier than the bundled wheels boardman supplied.

Think Ill give them a punt! Cheers.

As I said, It depends on the definition of sportier... for the money, you can't do no wrong, really...
  • paul_mck
    my only worry is they fall apart first time I come down off a kerb lol.
  • ugo.santalucia
    paul_mck wrote:
    my only worry is they fall apart first time I come down off a kerb lol.

Don't think so...