Why is my new headset stiff?

doublem_1
doublem_1 Posts: 266
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have installed a new headset to my hardtail, its a sealed threadless Aheadset. I have installed it as per the several guides I read up on. Greased the cups etc. I did however use a mallet and screwdriver to install the race crown but it seems a good job to me. It is just pretty stiff and I get resistent when I try to turn it. If I loosen off the bolt at the top it gets a bit better but still stiff. Can anyone help pretty please :oops:

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are you loosening the stem bolts before loosening the topcap bolt?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • doublem_1
    Yes, stem bolt is very loose. Think I'm about to give up on this build...
  • doublem_1
    I tightened the bolt at the top before the stem bolt.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Is that bolt actually doing anything? Ie preloading as it should - for that you need a gap
  • doublem_1
    Think I may have rectified it. I loosened the stem bolt, tighten the fork bolt (don't know what it's called) just enough so that it turns freely, then tightened the stem bolt all the way, then tighten the fork bolt up a bit. Seems fine now, but I haven't got any wheels on to test it yet.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    read parktools and then use the words they use then we might have an idea what you are talking about.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • doublem_1
    By the fork bolt I mean the cap bolt that screws into the SNF. I'm still not sure it's right but it might just need some adjusting when the wheels are on.
  • cooldad
    edited March 2013
    doublem_1 wrote:
    Think I may have rectified it. I loosened the stem bolt, tighten the fork bolt (don't know what it's called) just enough so that it turns freely, then tightened the stem bolt all the way, then tighten the fork bolt up a bit. Seems fine now, but I haven't got any wheels on to test it yet.
    Once the stem bolts are pinched up, all tightening the topcap bolt will do is snap it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You don't do up the top cap bolt tight, just enough to preload the bearing so you get no play, then (and only then) do you do up the bolts on the stem that clamps it round the steerer tube.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • doublem_1
    Ok thanks guys, I will wait until the wheels are on until I try again. So once I have tightened the top cap so theres no play, then tighten the stem bolt. Do I tighten the top cap again?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No, it won't move after.
  • doublem_1
    Thanks for the help guys, I will adjust it whilst watching that youtube video I think! :D
  • cooldad
    doublem_1 wrote:
    Ok thanks guys, I will wait until the wheels are on until I try again. So once I have tightened the top cap so theres no play, then tighten the stem bolt. Do I tighten the top cap again?
    The stem has at least two bolts. Have you read Nick's link?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • doublem_1
    cooldad wrote:
    doublem_1 wrote:
    The stem has at least two bolts. Have you read Nick's link?

Yes I have had a read through it. Makes things much clearer. I have a Truative stem with a single stem bolt on it. Judging by what I have read I will dissemble everything when I come to do it next and make sure every component is seated correctly.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Make sure the you tube video you are watching is correct....any idiot can make a video after all!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.