Richmond Park 3-lap Challenge 2013

TarmacExpert
TarmacExpert Posts: 204
Copied from last year's thread:

We understand the Royal Parks and the police are receiving an increasing number of complaints about inconsiderate cyclists in Richmond Park. Pedestrians for whom cyclists will not stop, and motorists who are overtaken in “close call” situations complain about how reckless cyclists can sometimes be. We're not accusing anyone here of doing so, but please be mindful of this when you are attempting a fast lap. If you encounter traffic or pedestrians/deer near to the road, do not take risks. Abort and if necessary start again or visit when there is less traffic. The last thing we want to see is traffic calming measures introduced into the park. Thank you for your understanding.

Guidelines:
1. 3 continuous laps of RP, anti- or clock-wise (or a mixture), with the general view that anti is easier/safer.
2. Start, rolling or standing, where you like and finish at the same place.
3. KEEP IT SAFE. Squeezing through that gap might make all the difference in beating your PB, but far better you live to fight another day and improve even more. In the red mist of the 3rd lap it is VERY easy to forget this and indeed to annoy the hell out of other RP users. To this end, attempts are best made very early at the weekend, mid-morning/mid-afternoon during the week and just before dusk.
4. Given '3' above, feel free to comment on the traffic, suicidal deer or even the horrendous westerly. The reader can adjust his/her impression of the time and it might dissuade you from roundabout madness.
5. Most of us try to avoid drafting. You might not be able to help it in traffic, but you'll be losing more from the traffic than you're gaining anyway.
6. In the entry feel free to mention : your bike (TT/shopper etc), your weight (seems to be a tradition) and even your 'type of rider' (sportive, racer, audax, tri) - it's becoming a tradition to add your power data here also/instead; and, in the text, perhaps your aim for the year .
7. Please add your post to the previous list, and try to make sure you use the most recent list, so we don't lose entries. Remove your old entry and put your new one in time order, emboldened for easy viewing.

So, here is my entry to start off the list. It was a ride of 6 steady laps, so thought I'd start the thread and put my fastest 3 consecutive laps up. Individual laps were 17:56 245W, 18:20 239W, 18:07 240W.

TarmacExpert......anti......70kg.....54:23......Jan........TTer........AP241W.NP255W.training TT bike

Comments

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Can we do a thread for single laps or is that not the done thing?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • okgo wrote:
    Can we do a thread for single laps or is that not the done thing?
    I'm not aware there has ever been a thread in the past for efforts over any distance other than 3 laps, but anyone can start any thread they want, really. I'd just have a bit of a think about the implications first, though - it's going to be a bit faster than 3 laps, and getting held up will have a bigger impact - firstly because if have to stop, you're stopping from a higher speed and having to accelerate again up to a higher speed, and secondly it's a bigger % of your time over one lap than three laps. So it would arguably motivate people to take bigger risks. And people might start putting times up from Strava segments rather than hand timing it starting and finishing at the exact same point. The Strava segments vary in exactly how long they are - again, over one lap small differences like that are a relatively large %.
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    My first shockingly slow effort for the year on my winter beater. Weather was too cold to get the hr up. Aim for the year is to get a sub 56.

TarmacExpert......anti......70kg.......54:23......Jan........TTer........AP241W.NP255W.training TT bike
    Strith....................anti......81kg.....1:05.08.....Jan........Mtbr........steel winter beater
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    edited February 2013
    Bloody slow laps yesterday (4 mins down on fixed laps just before Christmas),very windy and whilst there were not many cars, those that were there were queuing to get into very full carparks to go sledging.

TarmacExpert......anti......70kg.......54:23......Jan........TTer........AP241W.NP255W.training TT bike
    Strith....................anti......81kg.....1:05.08.....Jan........Mtbr........steel winter beater
    marcusjb................anti......61kg.....1:11:40.....jan........audaxer....67" fixed
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,312
    Damn good effort marcus! Was Broomfield hill ok? I always feel more nervous descending on fixed for some reason.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • marcusjb
    pangolin wrote:
    Damn good effort marcus! Was Broomfield hill ok? I always feel more nervous descending on fixed for some reason.

Broomfield okay really - it was a little slippy, so I did use the brakes a little before the bend. Was only hitting about 45kph on the downhill (somewhere around 150 cadence on 67"). Wind was the biggest issue (as ever!).
  • Do the police stop cyclists regularly in Richmond? Is it purposeful targeting, or just a few riders bad luck/being stupid?
  • okgo
    Riding like an idiot will likely see you get stopped a lot sooner than riding fast. So as long as you are not being dangerous you shouldn't have any issues. Part of the reason the best time to get a fast unhindered 3 laps is early morning or late evening.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • okgo
    Thought I would get my first blistering 3 laps in of the year!

Okgo.................mixture....78kg......1:00:24...Jan.......cat 2 road....ap 245w road bike
    marcusjb................anti......61kg.....1:11:40.....jan........audaxer....67" fixed
  • marcusjb
    Almost getting to the point with the wind where I could flip to my 76" gear. I enjoy 67" in general, but it's a bit too short for many parts of the lap. Actually might have to take the geared bike to get a more respectable (for me) time on the board (be about 7 minutes faster from previous experiences). Still trying to hold a decent speed off Broomfield on 67" is doing wonders for my lungs if nothing else. a LOT easier than yesterday when the wind was brutal.

Okgo.................mixture....78kg......1:00:24...Jan.......cat 2 road....ap 245w road bike
    marcusjb................anti......61kg.....1:10:04.....feb........audaxer....67" fixed
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Sunday morning ride: clear of traffic and with a tow from an unnamed person along the back section for my 20 min 14 lap...... naughty but worth it as i was dead at that point! will try to beat it this weekend.

Philbar72................anti......82kg.....1:02:49.....feb......Training..BMC Strith....................anti......81kg.....1:05.08.....Jan........Mtbr........steel winter beater
    marcusjb................anti......61kg.....1:10:04.....feb........audaxer....67" fixed
  • marcusjb
    Chilly, wet laps just as it was going dark today (so very clear runs). Legs felt like lead after a long commute (110km) with hefty panniers yesterday and I was climbing very slowly - however, I felt strong on all the other sections, for my fastest 3 laps of the year so far.

Philbar72................anti......82kg.....1:02:49.....feb......Training..BMC Strith....................anti......81kg.....1:05.08.....Jan........Mtbr........steel winter beater
    marcusjb................anti......61kg.....1:08:58.....feb........audaxer....67" fixed
  • marcusjb
    Dark laps, but all good fun apart from the deer crossing on lap 3 - ah well.

marcusjb................anti......61kg.....1:08:43.....feb........audaxer....67" fixed
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,312
    TarmacExpert........anti.........70kg.......54:23......Jan........TTer...................AP241W.NP255W.training TT bike
    Okgo....................mixture....78kg......1:00:24....Jan.........cat 2 road...........ap 245w road bike
    Philbar72..............anti.........82kg.....1:02:49.....feb........Training..............BMC Strith....................anti.........81kg.....1:05.08.....Jan........Mtbr....................steel winter beater
    pangolin..............anti.........98kg......1:07.37.....Feb.......commute/audax....road bike
    marcusjb..............anti........61kg......1:08:43.....feb........audaxer................67" fixed

Slow laps on Sunday with loooots of people in the Park.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First ever venture into Richmond Park yesterday, took it easy on the first lap so room for improvement for next time.

TarmacExpert........anti.........70kg.......54:23......Jan........TTer...................AP241W.NP255W.training TT bike
    Okgo....................mixture....78kg......1:00:24....Jan.........cat 2 road...........ap 245w road bike
    Philbar72..............anti.........82kg.....1:02:49.....feb........Training..............BMC
    MoscowFlyer.......anti........80kg......1:04:43.....Feb........Training...............Cube road bike
    Strith....................anti.........81kg.....1:05.08.....Jan........Mtbr....................steel winter beater
    pangolin..............anti.........98kg......1:07.37.....Feb.......commute/audax....road bike
    marcusjb..............anti........61kg......1:08:43.....feb........audaxer................67" fixed
  • marcusjb
    Is it cheating to have two entries on the table? One for fixed and one for gears. First time I've done geared laps in there for many many months - it was quite traffic heavy (just as the sun was setting, so people trying to get home through the park before the gates are locked). But, very little wind out there this evening.

Philbar72..............anti.........82kg.....1:02:49.....feb........Training..............BMC
    marcusjb.............anti.........61kg......1:04:31.....Fec........audaxer.............geared bike
    MoscowFlyer.......anti........80kg......1:04:43.....Feb........Training...............Cube road bike
    Strith....................anti.........81kg.....1:05.08.....Jan........Mtbr....................steel winter beater
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    Still got to attempt this challenge. I don't think I'd do very well though, but can only find out. I'll wait until the warmer weather :D

Hoping to get sub 60 minutes but my speed endurance is pants.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    marcusjb.............anti.........61kg......1:04:31.....Fec........audaxer.............geared bike
    JibberJim.............anti........72kg.......1:10:40.....mar.......Still Ex Club run hero... AP 281w.NP304w.

Slightly disappointing time, managed under 67 last year, and this time I took out my road bike (previously always done it on cyclocross with my road wheels) and I'm 3kg's lighter. Not a great run for traffic on a sunday morning but I still put out 20w less (although only 10w less NP) Of course that was a summer time last year, so the temp may have helped slow me more today.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Strith....................anti.........79kg.....1:04.00.....Feb........Mtbr....................road bike
    JibberJim.............anti........72kg.......1:10:40.....mar.......Still Ex Club run hero... AP 281w.NP304w.

Last week, dropped 2kg since last attempt too. Took out road bike this time but only managed one sub 20 lap, lots of traffic on other laps. Some little 5 year old brat threw a rock at me, it missed my head by inches, his mum gave him one hell of a wollop.

Roll on those 6am windless summer laps.....
  • marcusjb
    It's worth a very quick mention that there is some kind of construction going on off the top of Broomfield Hill (down a track opposite the car park). There are signs warning of mud on the road, and most of it is being dragged away from the hill; but some is on the very top of the descent as well.

It's not super sketchy (as long as it's dry) - I've been twice this last week and it's been okay. I have a little less trust in tyres for a few hundred metres, once they've gone through a load of dirt. But if that construction carries on and it rains, it will be a bit sketchy, so be careful!
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Strith....................anti.........79kg.....1:04.00.....Feb........Mtbr....................road bike
    Cyclingprop..........anti.......120kg.......1:06:10.....Jan.....Heavy ........ Trek Road bike
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    edited March 2013
    Had a crack this afternoon. Immediately ruined by traffic for the first half lap. Then slowed by deer crossing twice (which is a first for me), once on lap 2 descent of Broomfield and once on lap 3 run up to Sawyers, traffic again on lap 3 as well. Frustrating as the legs felt good. Times are from Garmin, Strava would have me at 54:20 I think. Traffic cost me around minute on lap 1.

TarmacExpert........anti.........70kg.......54:23......Jan........TTer................AP241W.NP255W.training TT bike
    IP.......................Anti.........71kg......54:39........Mar........RAID Training........... road bike
    Cyclingprop..........anti.......120kg.......1:06:10.....Jan.....Heavy ........ Trek Road bike
  • Well done to Cyclingprop and Okgo, the only two entries not to provide some kind of caveat or excuse.

You willingly provide your times for an arbitrary course in the name of a bit of fun, then provide excuses for why your time isn't fast enough. How insecure are you?

Here is a selection of the excuses already given:

"It was a ride of 6 steady laps"
    "Weather was too cold to get the hr up"
    "very windy and whilst there were not many cars, those that were there were queuing to get into very full carparks to go sledging"
    "it was a little slippy, so I did use the brakes a little before the bend"
    "Chilly, wet laps just as it was going dark... Legs felt like lead after a long commute with hefty panniers yesterday"
    "Dark laps, but all good fun apart from the deer crossing on lap 3"
    "loooots of people in the Park"
    "took it easy on the first lap"
    "it was quite traffic heavy (just as the sun was setting, so people trying to get home through the park before the gates are locked)"
    "Not a great run for traffic on a sunday morning... the temp may have helped slow me"
    "lots of traffic on other laps. Some little 5 year old brat threw a rock at me"

But the prize goes to Il Principe for this gem:

"Immediately ruined by traffic for the first half lap. Then slowed by deer crossing twice (which is a first for me), once on lap 2 descent of Broomfield and once on lap 3 run up to Sawyers, traffic again on lap 3 as well. Times are from Garmin, Strava would have me at 54:20 I think. Traffic cost me around minute on lap 1."
  • il_principe
    Calm down dear. What you call excuses most of us call context. This thread runs every year and its pretty normal behaviour to add detail to the time. If people have a clear run etc they usually comment on this as well. Maybe if you posted a bit more you'd understand that. :roll:
  • Calm down? :D

It's not me crying about traffic and deer in front on an anonymous messageboard
  • il_principe
    Dunno why I'm feeding the troll, but hey. Not 'crying' as you put it, but adding context as ive already said, which is what posters have tended to do each year this thread has run. As for anonymous, I've met 3 of those who've posted so far and know a good number of posters on here. But you carry on casting aspersions if it makes you happy. :roll:
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540
    The thread is pretty straightforward. Either contribute by posting your time, or p*ss off. Quite simple really.
  • marcusjb
    The thread is pretty straightforward. Either contribute by posting your time, or p*ss off. Quite simple really.

That's pretty much it. It's a bit of fun around a known distance. As Il Principe said, it's a bit of context. For me I hope I can look back through the year as we progress through the season and hopefully get quicker. It's a generally friendly, encouraging thread with a bit of banter about conditions of the ride.

Come summer, you won't be hearing excuses, just tales of early morning clear runs and my sub 50 minute performances........;)
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    And I didn't even mention my biggest excuse... But excuses are the point of the thread!
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • okgo
    My excuses will come if I can't beat Tarmacs 45.xx when I give it a proper go in a couple of months ;)